Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Exposing beans to air after roasting
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Exposing beans...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
asiegel

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky Doserless, Baratza...
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jul 2, 2010, 11:46am
Subject: Exposing beans to air after roasting

I have roasted for years, but always wondered how long the beans should be totally exposed to air before placed in bags with a one way valve for storage and use.  I have recently been letting them sit in the collander overnight, but wonder if this is too long.  Is there a rule of thumb?  Thanks so much.  Art
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jul 2, 2010, 1:00pm
Subject: Re: Exposing beans to air after roasting

asiegel Said:

I have roasted for years, but always wondered how long the beans should be totally exposed to air before placed in bags with a one way valve for storage and use.  I have recently been letting them sit in the collander overnight, but wonder if this is too long.  Is there a rule of thumb?  Thanks so much.  Art

Posted July 2, 2010 link

I do the same thing when roasting a big batch.  I let it sit in a stainless bowl overnight, and the next day put into my containers.  Since it is degassing during that perior of time, for convenience sake I cannot see why you have to bag right away.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
digger
digger

Espresso: QM Alexia w/PID
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 2, 2010, 1:07pm

asiegel Said:

Posted July 2, 2010 link

The one way valve on a coffee bag is designed to lets air out.  It allows the coffee roaster to bag and seal almost immediately after roast.  If you are not going to use a bag with a one way valve it appears that the general consensus I have read is 12 to 24 hour prior to sealing up tight.

I use canisters to store so I personally use 12 hours.  This is guidance I got from the 3 local coffee roasters.

Chuck
asiegel

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky Doserless, Baratza...
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jul 2, 2010, 4:14pm

Thanks for the prompt responses.  Much appreciated.  I have bagged immediately with the one way valve bags (I now use those Sweet Maria cannisters with the one way valve that work great) but my pours do seem better when I go the overnight air treatment route first.  Perhaps the degassing does not occur fast enough over the 5 days or so that I use the coffee?
strfish7

Espresso: Cremina, Europiccola,...
Grinder: HGOne, Pharos, Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Jul 2, 2010, 4:29pm

I just put mine in jars with the lids not screwed on for 12 hours or so.
MGLloyd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Fri Jul 2, 2010, 4:44pm

My roasts go directly from the roast and cooling into the clamp-lid preserving jar and into the cold and dark freezer.  I intend to arrest the staling process from the very start.  The jars pop slightly when I first open them.  I stagger my roasts so that the newly-roasted beans get a chance to rest for at least 24 hours before brewing.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Fri Jul 2, 2010, 5:13pm

Best to avoid them  sucking in moisture during humid summer weather.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
brownroaster
brownroaster
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Krups, serena
Grinder: La Pavoni burr grinder
Drip: Bunn  bodum french press
Roaster: Fresh Roast, and popcorn...
Posted Sun Jul 11, 2010, 5:12am

I am glad you brought this topic up...I have experimented with different methods, from placing them in cool whip containers for 24 hrs, to canning jars, and now I just put them right into the bags.  I have never tried the method that Len uses...may have to try that out...I get scared doing it that way due to mosquitos or any flying insects getting into the beans.  Have you guys ever had a problem with that...
harmolodic

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010, 12:18pm

There's a lot I don't know about the science of this, but I've always thought we are trying to do two things with our freshly roasted coffee: 1) allow C02 out of the beans, and 2) prevent oxygen from getting to the beans (to forestall oxidation).

I would think either the one-way valve bags (my preferred method) or Mason jars would work best (opening jars briefly from time to time). Letting the beans sit out in the open might make for quicker degassing, but wouldn't oxidation occur much more rapidly?
DavecUK

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010, 1:09pm

Many years ago, I did some work for a very large Italian roaster who used to leave the coffee out overnight before packing and them place them in foil bags, no one way valve and then simply punch a hole in them so they wouldn't inflate up/burst in transit. Needless to say the coffee was not great and certainly unless got quite fresh was very poor. I spoke to them about it and was told that was the way they had always done it and that it was the best way. I made my point about reducing any exposure to air after roasting (as much as it practical), packing as fast as possible and using 1 way valve bags. They now pack all their coffee this way and it tastes far better and lasts much longer.

Roast it, cool it, pack it as quickly as you can.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Exposing beans...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301182031631)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+