Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop-B-2 End of roast question
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop-B-2 End...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 5:50pm
Subject: Hottop-B-2 End of roast question

Hi there,

I just finished the 7th roast on my Hottop, which has the new thermocouple. Over these 7 roasts, I have kept a lot of notes and now have a question about ending the roast.

My approach to the drying phase, from when the beans go in to when they pale, is to make it last 6-7 minutes. With this bean, a SHB Guat, I turn the heat to 100% with fan at 25% leading up to first crack, which starts consistently at 375. I lower the heat to 70% at 365, 50% around 380 when first is active, and 30% as first ends around 388-390 (these are from the HT display). My second crack starts at 403, so there is a small temp window on the HT display to draw out a pause between cracks. With each roast, my goal has been to drop about 45-60 seconds after first ends when the beans have developed a bit (looking for a City+ roast level). This has consistently put me at 392 on my display. In order to draw out the pause between cracks I use the fan to slow down the display's rise.

My question is: Now that the display's readings are extremely consistent from roast to roast with the new temp probe, how do I know that I am slowing the roast enough to allow it to develop? There is a lot of information out there from folks with the old temperature probe, or an installed probe, but I am wondering if anyone has any tips/advice for this new consistent probe (I know it's not bean temp)? Once 1st ends, and I know that 2nd will begin at ~403, how do I know that I have developed the roast enough to drop?

The cups have been great, which is the most important part, but I am trying to better understanding what I am doing right so that I can repeat it - and continue building on it.
 View Profile Link to this post
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 7:00pm
Subject: Re: Hottop-B-2 End of roast question

I'm hoping Hottop will update the users manual particularly the roast profiling part to reflect the newer style temp probe soon. My temps are pretty close to yours around 375f for 1C not sure about 2C because I avoid it. I have been following the profile from the manual with two temp drops one during drying and one during caramelization. I ran a few roast with a bead type probe snaked through the bean chute to compare the display temps with bean temps. That is how I decided when to drop the temps in each phase.
Sam21

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 7:30pm

robertl Said:

I'm hoping Hottop will update the users manual particularly the roast profiling part to reflect the newer style temp probe soon. My temps are pretty close to yours around 375f for 1C not sure about 2C because I avoid it. I have been following the profile from the manual with two temp drops one during drying and one during caramelization. I ran a few roast with a bead type probe snaked through the bean chute to compare the display temps with bean temps. That is how I decided when to drop the temps in each phase.

Posted February 6, 2012 link

My 1st crack is exactly the same as yours then. It start at 375 and is active around 380+. I have been following the manual as well. Obviously the manual temps are different, but I know when 1st is about to happen so I lower the heat right before and continuously lower/raise fan to control the temp rise.

I'm still a bit hazy on the drying phase temp drop. I typically run the fan about 3 mins into the roast to clear humidity. Then I drop heat a bit and run fan again around 5 mins in to lengthen dryin time to 6-7 mins. From there to te 1st crack temp drop, I use 100% heat and turn on the fan when I start to see smoke (~330). Even though I was able to figure out my temp drops, it would be nice to have updated numbers for the profile in the manual.
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 6:38pm

I lower the heat during the drying phase around 250f on the HT display and keep it there until around 290f. I found that the HT temp probe is accurate for a brief time period around 250f. Prior to that the HT temp is higher than the actual BT and after 250f the actual BT is higher than the HT temp. After my warranty expires I plan on installing a BT and ET probe for data logging.
Sam21

Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 6:52pm

robertl Said:

I lower the heat during the drying phase around 250f on the HT display and keep it there until around 290f. I found that the HT temp probe is accurate for a brief time period around 250f. Prior to that the HT temp is higher than the actual BT and after 250f the actual BT is higher than the HT temp. After my warranty expires I plan on installing a BT and ET probe for data logging.

Posted February 7, 2012 link

I drop my beans in at 210 rather than when the machine tells me to. I do this because Randy Glass suggested it as a good time to do so.
I wonder if that overlap of HT display and BT would be the same for me. I know that the idea behind dropping temp during the drying phase is to allow the BT I catch up. My roasts are generally 1330-1415 depending on the end drop, although the lag two roasts seemed to heat up faster. I wonder if that has to do with the rear filter seasoning a bit.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 9:57am

On mine, which is the old thermo, my first C is about 382, using 7oz of beans and around 12 minutes into roast (6min remaining). My second C is at 402-404 with about 4 minutes remaining. My setting is auto, no other adjustments.
Amount of beans and your time remaining are also important on the outcome.
Type of bean also changes things, Kona, JMB, Maui, all take longer to roast. again time and temp changes.
I also drop my beans after pre-heat and at the dinging.
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012, 8:08pm

I haven't heard about a new probe. I assume I have the old one since I bought the roaster a little over a year ago.
On 8 ounce roasts first crack comes anywhere from 392-401 and second usually right around 413. Quite a difference from you guys!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012, 8:17pm

gregr Said:

I haven't heard about a new probe. I assume I have the old one since I bought the roaster a little over a year ago.
On 8 ounce roasts first crack comes anywhere from 392-401 and second usually right around 413. Quite a difference from you guys!

Posted February 10, 2012 link

Sometime around September of 2011 they installed a new probe in the back of the machine that sticks out about an inch from the back of the drum. While it does not give you bean temps, the temperatures are 100% consistent from roast to roast and it seems to react to temp power adjustments quickly, but I can't compare that to the old version.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012, 8:58pm

robertl Said:

I'm hoping Hottop will update the users manual particularly the roast profiling part to reflect the newer style temp probe soon.....

Posted February 6, 2012 link

The manual has been updated and is awaiting approval for release. It includes new roast graphs reflecting the temperature on the display in relation to bean temp. Send me an E-mail to remind me and I will investigate when it will be available.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Sat Feb 11, 2012, 5:41am

Thanks Sam for the info.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop-B-2 End...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.342779874802)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+