Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roaster resurrection project
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 3:59am
Subject: Re: Roaster resurrection project

A mate came over on Friday so while we were chatting I thought I would carry on stripping the roaster Flickr

A picture that may be of particular interest is 3930 which shows what is on the other side of the screws that are on the right hand side of the roasting chamber. The top one contains a thermal fuse which is inline with the mains live. The bottom one looks to be a glass encapsulated thermistor.

With the thermal fuse bypassed, the machine powered up (3934). The afterburner, light and all three fans work and that is as far as we got - ran out of time.

Cheers

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 10:16am

Hi Ian,

I ended up with a dead Z&D (which I bought for my parts stash) which failed because of one of those fuses near the cat.  With a Z&D (now Nesco) you need a parts stash since they won't sell parts.

My guess is that Joe will either sell or give you one or at least tell you what temperature it was so you can get one locally.  Do you have Radio Shacks.  They have them.

Phil

Ian Said:

A mate came over on Friday so while we were chatting I thought I would carry on stripping the roaster Flickr

A picture that may be of particular interest is 3930 which shows what is on the other side of the screws that are on the right hand side of the roasting chamber. The top one contains a thermal fuse which is inline with the mains live. The bottom one looks to be a glass encapsulated thermistor.

With the thermal fuse bypassed, the machine powered up (3934). The afterburner, light and all three fans work and that is as far as we got - ran out of time.

Cheers

Ian

Posted June 9, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ian
Ian

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 2:04am

Hi Phil, I was originally intending to power the heating elements directly from a variac but thinking about it, for 82p, a level of protection is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

I need to go to the electronics shop to get some toggle switches so I'll see what they've got while I'm down there. I think Maplins is our version of Radio Shack?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/thermal-fuses-470

Cheers

Ian

Ian
Ian

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 7:30am

Had a spare half hour yesterday:

On bypassing the thermal fuse, the unit powered up but was showing error 2. So assuming the thermistor has also blown and not knowing the spec., I replaced it with various resistors and found that 100K cleared the error. This allowed nearly normal functioning of the machine but obviously without the thermistor there is no temperature control.

All of the individual components seem to be functioning so I'm guessing that the fire was caused by a circuit board fault holding the heater on or something like that?

I ought to say that although the roaster is Chinese made, the quality of manufacture does appear to be fairly good. Certainly better than I was expecting anyway.

While working on the electrics, I had a test patch of Mr Muscle on the door. That was a 30min treatment which worked pretty well so could probably reduce that to 20-25 mins on the rest of it.

I noticed that the door was twisted slightly (about 1/4" out at the top left). If you look at 3952 you can see the scorch marks where the flames had gone round the door seal. It was easy to straighten and might be something worth checking if you're getting poor results.

The next stage will be a general clean up, removal of the electronics and fitting of the switches ready for the re-wiring.

(Photostream updated)

Ian

Ian
Ian

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 9:15am

Been rewiring in spare moments here and there - I removed the pcb,switch panels and transformer.  New switch plate installed with all the components (except the heater) on separate toggle switches.

The cooling fan, exhaust fan, afterburner and light are on mains voltage with the motor and small fan on 12v DC. The heater elements are connected direct to a variable transformer. The roaster isn't properly assembled yet, the front switch panel is just held on with tape. Flickr album updated.

I did a dry burn first in the workshop to test all the functions and burn off any deposits that I hadn't reached. There was some visible smoke without the afterburner but it was surprisingly effective when switched on - the visible smoke almost disappeared.

First experimental roast: I installed a thermocouple in approximately the same place as the original thermistor but on the other side of the chamber. Also, I had a voltmeter on the variac to monitor heater input voltage.

It was obviously a learning experience with this setup but quite good fun being manually in charge of the roast. It was all over in about 14 minutes mainly because I wasn't quick enough with juggling the variac and various fans. Pic 4100 is the first roast, and to be fair, it looks more even in real life than it does in the pic.

Cheers

Ian

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302387952805)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+