Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor P2 Proflie -- advice sought.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor P2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 6:04pm
Subject: Behmor P2 Proflie -- advice sought.

I roast 10-12 oz at a time. Using roasterthing and beans that I've roasted on P1 before, I should be able to figure out how to combine a pre-heat with P2 so that the power drop happens right before (possibly right after the beginning of) 1C. The issue though is that the increase back to 100% wouldn't occur for a long time (probably after I'm done with the roast).
Is this OK or unlikely to yield good results?
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 4:43am
Subject: .

scrutinizer

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Alpenrost, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:50am
Subject: Re: Behmor P2 Proflie -- advice sought.

Barry,

I've used only this profile for a few years and usually get good results targeting 1C to start about 1.5 minutes prior to the power drop.  This provides some flexibility in case 1C happens a bit early or later than planned (i.e., if its early then you are not so far before the power drop thereby reducing the chance of running directly to 2C from too much heat; if its a bit late then you still have enough 100% power to reduce the risk of stalling during 1C).  There no real need to use the last stage of the profile unless you want a dark roast as the middle stage usually provides enough heat to get to 2C or just before and is also less likely to scorch the beans.  Bean loads will vary depending on your specific circumstances but keep in mind that larger bean loads will not roast as fast after the power drop so if you are trying to hit 2C this will be another consideration.  If you go a little light on the bean load to optimize post 1C performance you may need to bleed off some heat w/ occaisional  limited door opening during the ramp to 1C to avoid hitting it too early.  I usually monitor the timing of the onset of yellowing and then browning to get a feel for how the roast is progressing relative to the target.  I have the older chaff tray and low voltage so YMMV but I have done loads that range from 7.5 oz to 11oz using 1lb P2 B or C settings (B power drops at approx 12:00min, C drops at 12:54ish).  Probably best not to continue roasting much beyond 5 minutes past the start of 1C to avoid baking.  

Good luck
Pat
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 12:54pm

BarryR Said:

I roast 10-12 oz at a time. Using roasterthing and beans that I've roasted on P1 before, I should be able to figure out how to combine a pre-heat with P2 so that the power drop happens right before (possibly right after the beginning of) 1C. The issue though is that the increase back to 100% wouldn't occur for a long time (probably after I'm done with the roast).
Is this OK or unlikely to yield good results?

Posted June 14, 2012 link

Barry, I am wondering about that myself.

Responding to a previous thread, I mentioned that I was roasting 10 oz of Sumatra Mandheling and sometimes Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend using 1 lb, P3, A or B, and my total roast time was around 20 min.

IMAWriter (Rob J) was nice enough to tell me that my roast time was much too high and perhaps I had low voltage (a common cause).

I went back over my records and over 15+ roasts, with voltage variations from 117 to 121.5 my roast times were 18 +/-2 min on P3.  

So am I baking my roasts?  A bit of extraneous information is that I have NO BLOOM.

So a few days ago I did a roast, 10 oz, set at 1 lb., P1, B.  The roast was completed in 16 min. (117.5V) so ...it was 4 minutes less.  Was that progress?

NOW, to get to your point, Barry, if I had used P2 I would have dropped into the 'notch' at 13 min (just at the onset of the 1CR) and emerged from the 'notch' at 18 min (around the onset of the 2CR) and my total roast time would have been extended. beyond the 16 min.

That leaves me wondering about two things:

1.  Is my Behmor underpowered?  I have a Kill-A-Watt meter and it seems to be doing the right things.  I plug it into my stove outlet, 120V from a 208Y120 feeder with no other loads.  When running the voltage seldom drops below 116.  

2.  How do I use the P2 Profile?

Jerry
scrutinizer

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Alpenrost, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 3:26pm

JKalpin Said:

That leaves me wondering about two things:

Is my Behmor underpowered?  I have a Kill-A-Watt meter and it seems to be doing the right things.  I plug it into my stove outlet, 120V from a 208Y120 feeder with no other loads.  When running the voltage seldom drops below 116.  

How do I use the P2 Profile?

Posted June 15, 2012 link

Your roast progress sounds comparable to mine so your roaster is probably performing ok.  A good cleaning of everything can improve performance if it hasn't been done in a while.  It seems after a few years of weekly roasting mine appears to be weakening a bit but I have adjusted by reducing the batch sizes a tad.  

To reduce roast times my recommendation would be to reduce the bean load to 7.5 or 8 oz and try to hit 1C around 10:30 elapsed using the 1lb P2 B profile.  Try a central american or other "hard bean" that can take the heat (Brazil not recommended for such testing as it may scorch).  Time the roast from the start w/ a stopwatch and take note of when 1C starts going (beyond just the first rouge pops) and stop the roast manually between 3 and 5 minutes beyond that point (3 might be a City+ roast while 5 might be closer to full city or beyond).  Results will depend on your specific conditions, therefore, its important to get a feel for the degree of roast achieved based on your specific conditions and adjust bean load, any door opening, and timing of the stop to optimize the next time.  Over time you get a feel for what works and will be able to pre-judge the behavior of different types of coffee.  It does take some concentrated effort and tolerance for some hits and misses before you can use this consistently but as with most things in life....no pain...no gain.  :)

Pat
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 4:14pm

Thanks everyone.
I'll try something like P2C 1lb with a two minute preheat and 12 oz of beans (I'll fine tune it based on my specific experience with previous roasts). That should get the power drop occuring in the middle of 1C.
I use roasterthing which makes it really easy.
I select duplicate roast using a P1 roast that I've done and select P2C 1lb. I can then see how the curves line up and how long to preheat.

I'll give it a try tomorrow a.m.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor P2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26073718071)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+