Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gold Star Coffee Legit?
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gold Star Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012, 5:01pm
Subject: Re: Gold Star Coffee Legit?

dqts Said:

i saw that its grade 1 however, no one else is selling it for this price so maybe its an old crop...

im going to call them and ask them some questions and i'll let you know what i discover.

as far as ebay feedback goes ive bought several items there and when i go to leave feedback it
wouldn't let me leave less than 5 stars and it told me to work it out with the seller if i didn't
want to leave 5 stars, it was a big enough deal for me to work it out and i just felt like they
were 4 stars not 5...

Posted July 29, 2012 link

whoa that is bs and automatic red flag, I buy a lot of various stuff and have been on Ebay for years and never seen that. No idea how they got their ratings setup to force you into 5 stars or else to "work it out with seller". Thats just fake propping their ratings on there.
 View Profile Link to this post
gregr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012, 5:05pm

Glad to hear because that really bugged me. I mean, why bother with the rating systemat all if you can only leave 5 stars- that's crazy.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
chickenwings

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012, 6:11pm

I'll have a look at them, thanks for the lead!
roger_s
roger_s

Espresso: Isomac Millenium, Isomac...
Grinder: LaPavoni PA-JVD, Nemox,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Zojirushi
Roaster: Behmor 1600, iRoast2, SC/TO
Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012, 7:04pm

Where do you see that only 100% feedback is accepted?  They've got 3 neutrals--one for "dried out beans".  You may have it backwards: Sellers can only give buyers positive or no feedback.  Buyers can give positive, neutral, or negative feedback to sellers.

dqts Said:

Found some Jamaica Blue Mountain Green Beans on
Ebay for a good price. However,

((I don't know the reliability of this company because they have 100% feedback due to customers not being allowed to post less than 100%
as an agreement with their ebay acount etc. etc.))

I was hoping someone has heard and bought green beans
from this company and can tell me if they are good beans or not

have never roasted jamaica blue due to the price so i hope this good deal

this is a link to ebay so i hope its okay to post this, its not to sell but for educational purposes...

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Posted July 28, 2012 link

BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 4:48am

dqts Said:

Found some Jamaica Blue Mountain Green Beans on
Ebay for a good price. However,

this is a link to ebay so i hope its okay to post this, its not to sell but for educational purposes...

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Posted July 28, 2012 link

You can be pretty well assured that it is past crop.  Current crop was harvested Feb/Mar 2012.  Using a simple timeline, it is improbable that it was harvested, rested in parchment for 6-8 weeks, loaded and shipped to North America, accepted by the buyer, who just turned around and liquidated.

For cost comparison, I move JBM - Mavis Banks on GCBC.  I have gotten it as low as $16.50/pd (plus shipping) with a 30-kilo barrel and as high as $18.10/pd that I was quoted on Monday.  If you are still in the market this Fall, I will be grabbing another 30-kilos for holiday roasting for Green Coffee Buying Club members. The brokers/importers I work with only deal in current crop. We charge cost plus $.50/lb.  Someone else in the thread mentioned Kona - we have a relationship with a small farmer, Gary Strawn, at Kona Earth. A fellow member offers Gary's crop at cost plus $.50.  It is an excellent Kona and one that I buy every year for our own use.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 7:25am

BoldJava Said:

For cost comparison, I move JBM - Mavis Banks on GCBC.  I have gotten it as low as $16.50/pd (plus shipping) with a 30-kilo barrel and as high as $18.10/pd that I was quoted on Monday.

Posted August 1, 2012 link

I checked with my green coffee broker also & the Canadian cost per pound for a 30 kg barrel is $20.00/lb.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 7:39am

I just want to say thanks to BoldJava and Craig for providing that excellent information there. It's great to not be ignorant about this stuff... because ignorance leads to wasted money lol.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 7:48am

Anytime! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 8:32am

roger_s Said:

Where do you see that only 100% feedback is accepted?  They've got 3 neutrals--one for "dried out beans".  You may have it backwards: Sellers can only give buyers positive or no feedback.  Buyers can give positive, neutral, or negative feedback to sellers.

Posted July 31, 2012 link

Think what he was saying was as a buyer when you give feedback you can leave a star rating, i.e. 5 stars, 4 etc. I took it to mean that somehow Golds setup was forcing you to leave 5 stars or work it out with the seller from what he said. Would be very odd for that to happen, never seen that before, Ebay wouldn't allow that.

Either way still looks like a company to avoid
roger_s
roger_s

Espresso: Isomac Millenium, Isomac...
Grinder: LaPavoni PA-JVD, Nemox,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Zojirushi
Roaster: Behmor 1600, iRoast2, SC/TO
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 9:13pm

eBay has changed the star ratings:  You can't leave star ratings on shipping charges if shipping was free and you can't leave star ratings on communications if neither party has sent messages to the other.  I tend to ignore the stars since they're an aggregate of everyone's star ratings--really doesn't tell as much as their positive feedback percentage.

And yeah, I'd stay away.

CMIN Said:

Think what he was saying was as a buyer when you give feedback you can leave a star rating, i.e. 5 stars, 4 etc. I took it to mean that somehow Golds setup was forcing you to leave 5 stars or work it out with the seller from what he said. Would be very odd for that to happen, never seen that before, Ebay wouldn't allow that.

Either way still looks like a company to avoid

Posted August 1, 2012 link

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gold Star Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.368005990982)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+