Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Best way to achieve a 'light roast'?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Best way to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Smokey_Joe_from_UK

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 1:17am
Subject: Best way to achieve a 'light roast'?

One of the things I've been taught about roasting is how important it is to stretch out the roasting phase (after 1st crack) for around 4 minutes. Or more specifically, to achieve the roast colour I want, whether it be very dark or light, at 4 mins past first crack.

My question is, how is it possible to achieve a light roast using this method without stalling the roast? I've tried getting to 1st crack and having the air flow at 100% and the flame as low as I dare go, but once at 4 mins post 1st crack, I'm still at a med/dark roast.

Is there a way to get a light roast in 4 mins? or do you just drop the beans when it reaches the right colour, ignoring the streching out stuff?

Thanks
Chris

http://www.smokeybarn.co.uk//products/coffee
http://www.smokeybarn.co.uk/content/wholesale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-m3hDPXXw
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 2:57am
Subject: Re: Best way to achieve a 'light roast'?

4 min is the time frame I use for espresso and 2.5-3 min is what I use for drip. A city roast (when 1st crack has ended) for espresso is one of the toughest roasts to do well IMO, I start to lower the heat well before coming into 1st then it is a tough tight rope walk of managing heat and air flow to get 5-6f rise per minute. I suggest not getting hung up on getting exactly 4 min and just drop at the end of first for city or 5-10f more past the end of first for city+, this will give a bench mark for making adjustments. The longer you stretch the roast after first the mellower it becomes with more sugars being carmalized which takes away the brightness, sometimes shorter is better.
 View Profile Link to this post
Smokey_Joe_from_UK

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 5:57am

Great, thank you very much for the help! :)

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 7:51am

Smokey_Joe_from_UK Said:

One of the things I've been taught about roasting is how important it is to stretch out the roasting phase (after 1st crack) for around 4 minutes. Or more specifically, to achieve the roast colour I want, whether it be very dark or light, at 4 mins past first crack.

My question is, how is it possible to achieve a light roast using this method without stalling the roast? I've tried getting to 1st crack and having the air flow at 100% and the flame as low as I dare go, but once at 4 mins post 1st crack, I'm still at a med/dark roast.

Is there a way to get a light roast in 4 mins? or do you just drop the beans when it reaches the right colour, ignoring the streching out stuff?

Thanks
Chris

Posted August 3, 2012 link

How light of a roast are you looking for?  Check out Toms chart at SM:

Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 10:17am

4 mins. past the beginning of first crack will be either into second or if it doesn't reach second, a stalled roast. You have the experience with that roaster so you will know best about its momentum, but lowering the heat at the beginning of first to get a 2 min first, then dropping the heat at the middle or end of first, getting about another one minute of roast for a total of maybe 13 to 14 minutes should make a nice roast for drip. But it depends on the coffee. I had some Colombian that was roasted in about 12 minutes to the end of first and about another 30 seconds or so, that made one of the best cups of coffee I ever had.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 11:26am

frcn Said:

4 mins. past the beginning of first crack will be either into second or if it doesn't reach second, a stalled roast. You have the experience with that roaster so you will know best about its momentum, but lowering the heat at the beginning of first to get a 2 min first, then dropping the heat at the middle or end of first, getting about another one minute of roast for a total of maybe 13 to 14 minutes should make a nice roast for drip. But it depends on the coffee. I had some Colombian that was roasted in about 12 minutes to the end of first and about another 30 seconds or so, that made one of the best cups of coffee I ever had.

I usually roast for espresso to FC (most of the time about 5f before 2nd starts) and easily do 4 min from the start of first crack. My logger reads in the 1/10 th of a degree so it is easy to keep a steady slow increase of bean mass temp. When I used the HotTop I also roasted to FC and had no problems getting 4min without stalling.

Doing a city roast with 4 minute from start of first to end of first is still possible without a stall, it is not easy but still doable, it is .1f every second approximately. This is not something I could do on the HotTop but with a solid drum with a lot of mass for storing heat it is doable. Worth doing is a different story, I have only had a couple of occasions that 4min was needed to tone down the brightness for espresso in a city roast, normally if I am roasting to city or city+ I want the brightness and fruit flavors from that particular bean and will cut down on the time from start of first crack until finish of roast to achieve the desired amount of brightness.
 View Profile Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 12:36pm

Smokey_Joe_from_UK Said:

Thanks
Chris

4mins after first crack? As Rob mentioned closer to 3min. for brewed and 4min. for espresso from start of first crack. Keeping about those times whether I'm shooting for city or full city+.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
Smokey_Joe_from_UK

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 1:13am

Sorry I meant 4mins from the start of first crack. Looking to achieve something like city to city+.

Thanks for all the replies, what a great place to get help!

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Best way to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316742897034)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+