Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?

I doubt if you could tell the difference, by touch. Do they have any wattage markings?
My drip coffee maker draws 16.7 amps...
Is the Quest amp-meter measuring only the heater current, or is the motor included in the reading?

oldgearhead: 861-1633_large.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 1:47pm
Subject: Re: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetic Heating?

onthemoors Said:

These roasters are not safety approved, Caveat Emptor

Posted September 10, 2012 link

I have a commercial Diedrich roaster in my garage and it has all those government approved tags, do you think my local municipal is happy with it? Do you think my insurance company is happy with it? A bad fire is ready to happen if I don't service and clean my equipemnt, a plus 1400f fire in my flu. To make everybody happy the best way to roast is in a detached shed that can burn to the ground and no claims are made.

The Behmor has all that and in the first 6 months of owning one I had two fires, one very bad and if I was not a responsible roast master standing there I could have had a  bean fire that spread. A DIYer can build a replica machine to mine for about the 1/5 of the cost, does that mean he/she has an unsafe machine if they build it to the same specs? The good news is even those all those labels you want and where on the Behmor (and believe the first Hottops in the country) the companies changes things and reduced the amount of incidents although the label never changed.

I am a retired contractor doing work on my home, I have a contractor that is having a bad time with my township on permits, They have delayed work in total for 3 weeks in the first 5 weeks of construction for some of the most BS reasons, this has cost the builder a lot of money in stand still time and in turn costs me more money as the home owner (builder losses money and they find ways to charge extras or do a crappy job that needs attention in a shorter amount of years then should ).
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 1:56pm

germantownrob Said:

I would not be so concerned about the heaters...

Posted September 14, 2012 link

I hear what you're saying Rob and it makes a lot of sense. I doubt this was done as a cost savings. Mr. Yen seems to really know what he's doing and the e-mail replies provided seem to indicate these changes were done for better heat distribution. So I look at it as an improvement.

oldgearhead Said:

I doubt if you could tell the difference, by touch. Do they have any wattage markings?
My drip coffee maker draws 16.7 amps...
Is the Quest amp-meter measuring only the heater current, or is the motor included in the reading?

I don't see any marking indicating the wattage. The amp-meter on the Quest only reads heater amps, which is the way it should be. Even then, the drum motor only draws 0.3A and the fan 0.2A at max speed. A very energy efficient roaster!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 3:38pm

Endo Said:

I hear what you're saying Rob and it makes a lot of sense. I doubt this was done as a cost savings. Mr. Yen seems to really know what he's doing and the e-mail replies provided seem to indicate these changes were done for better heat distribution. So I look at it as an improvement.

Mr Yen does seem to take his business and roasting seriously. I guess you are a pioneer in dealing with this new set up and that is hard on a new person to roasting (I think you are new to roasting) and if not you are at least new to this equipment, it took me 6 months switching from a HotTop to a Diedrich to get excellent results. It stinks you don't have blue a print in front of you from previous Quest roasters but honestly IMO that is better, you will find what you like best faster without following others. I personally would love the two designs side by side and cup the results, in therory in my mind your setup is best.

One thing I have not followed in the quest threads is what they do with their fan. Seems Quest user keep an almost constant amperage and use the fan to make changes, Toper roasters also use this method, I use heat level with fan speed to do my roasts so it is different but that doesn't mean the different methods can't get to the same place.
Endo
Endo

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 6:00pm

I've been roasting for a few years. I started with the popcorn popper, and then switched to the Behmor. I've been roasting with the Behmor for last 2 years and been getting excellent results.

I've got the Behmor working quite well and it delivers quite consistently. But that's the problem...it's a bit too consistent since there is no manual control (other than opening the door). Recently I found an amazing new green bean vendor that lives close by, so to fully explore these SOs, I've decided to step up to the all manual Quest.

I've read a lot about the Quest before I purchased it. I've seen many different variations on amperage and fan speed. I get the amps part, but the fan has me puzzled. It's never obvious to me if I am heating (increased convective heat transfer) or cooling by bringing in more cold air.
pngboy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 3:13pm

I have had the same Quest as you for the last couple months with great results.   Thanks for posting about the heating elements I didn't even realize the change.   But I did notice that I had to crank the amps up higher than some other people to get a good roast.   One thing I realized is you can't be scared of hurting this roaster because it can handle pretty much anything you dish out at it.   I roast 170g(a mason jar full) and depending on what kind of roast I want my average roast time is between 8 1/2 min and 14,  usually about 11min.   Once drying is done I routinely use 9-10A to ramp up to 1C and then lower my temp and I've never had any scorching or tipping.   If  you have it on 9-10A  and the fan on high for longer than 15sec or so it starts drawing in a little cooler air ,not enough to stall the roast but enough to get a long slow rise to 1C.   If your fan is low with 9-10A you risk scorching the beans.   In my roaster the Fan starts spinning around 4 and the highest setting it will go to is 8 1/2.   If I want to get to 1C as fast as possible with the best ROR(rate of rise)  I keep my fan at about 6 1/2.   There are some good discussions on HB.   right at the end of the drying period I'll crank my heat with no fan for about 15-20 sec this kinda jump starts the ramp to 1C then I'll give it full fan for about 15 sec .  This sends all the energy into the beans then I'll lower the fan to about 6 1/2 ,this allows me to continue a nice fast ramp to 1C unless of course I'm roasting for espresso.   Oh yeah I do the drying phase with no fan and the bean chute open this allow for good ventilation and I'm able to visually watch the steam come out and smell if I want to detect any changes during the dry phase.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 8:28am

I don't like HB much. Still, I did read some of the posts about the Quest.

As pointed out in a earlier post here at CG (and as explained to me by the designer of the roaster), some of the suggested instructions at HB are asking for trouble. For example, running with no fan at high power, or doing more than 5 roasts in a row, can drastically reduce the life of your machine.

You might be able to avoid trouble if you have an accurate MET measurement, but I wouldn't risk trying it without one.
pngboy

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 10:55am

Yeah I have erics MET and BT hooked up and that  really helps a whole lot.   Actually I've talked to some roasters that have been doing the drying phase for the 1st 3-5 min with no fan since 2009 and 2010 and there hasn't been any problems.   Also the roaster is designed to do a bunch of roast in a row.   The more you do in a row the better it functions.   I usually do about 5-6 roast every session.   There are couple people that do 10-20 roasts on a regular basis and as long as you clean it you shouldn't expect to ever have any serious problems .    During the dry phase you don't want the fan on to high anyway so drying with about 5-6A and the bean chute open witch cuts the fan off allows for passive ventilation about equal to having the fan on low.  But of course everybody should roast how they feel comfortable there is no 100% right way .   I just wanted to say that the quest has been tried , tested, abused on a regular basis now for about 4 years and still works great without any problems for almost 100% of the users.  They had a problem with the heating element on some of 1st one's that were made but they quickly fixed that.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 3:02pm

I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm not sure if these old design durability datapoints apply to our newer design.

When I asked about the new heating element, Mr.Yen said I will not have any issues as long as I always keep the fan running above 4.5 and don't do more than 4-5 roasts in a row.

I took the roaster to the maximum once (only for a few seconds) and it pulled 13A (1550W). Seeing how bright the new left side heater gets at the max rated 1050W, I'd be very concerned about running at these levels with no forced convection. Though at 5-6A as you suggest for drying, I expect this would not be a problem. I'm doing some air flow rate measurements on my Quest right now and I'll let you know what I find.

We are the new testers I guess. Let me know if you encounter any issues.
pngboy

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 4:24pm

Thanks for the info Endo.  Thats the 1st I've heard about 4-5 roast in a row.  since this is a slightly new design I guess things have changed a bit.  I think I'll continue to do 4-6 roast  of 170g in a row though, I don't mind testing durability.    With my Quest though I've never seen the heater glowing very bright at all.  
   I normally charge it to about 420f or so then run the fan on high but lower the heat to 5-6a that drops the MET ,then at about 400 BT I drop the beans @ 5-6a depending on the coffee.   Then the last 10-15 sec before drying is done @ about 290 when the steam is still coming out I up it to 9 or 10A just for about 10-15 sec max then crank the fan.   But the heater has never been glowing red like yours.    We both have the new machine but maybe different elements. Anyway as long as I can keep on getting great tasting beans like I have been I'll be super happy.  I bought mine from coffeeshrub.
showing page 3 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335819005966)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+