Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
Author Messages
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 7:22am
Subject: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?

My new roaster arrived, and it seems the left heater is much hotter than the right. (Left burns bright orange and the right only dark red). At first I thought the left heater had a problem, but Mr. Yen says this is as designed (to provide more heat on the bean side).

My machine has a new rating of 1050W on the side (versus 900W on the old). It also seems the old value of 7.5A no longer applies. I need closer to 9A. At 7.5A  my roast stalls at 175C BT, even after 20 minutes.

Anybody have experience with this new (I suppose) design change? I suppose it was done to provide more even roasting? Is this the case?

Endo: 2012-09-07 012 (350x233).jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 8:30am
Subject: Re: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetic Heating?

These roasters are not safety approved, Caveat Emptor
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 9:03am

onthemoors Said:

These roasters are not safety approved, Caveat Emptor

Posted September 10, 2012 link

This has been discussed Ad Nauseum.  I'd like to keep this discussion on topic and free of Latin if possible. Thanks.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 8:14pm

I did my first successful roast today on the new Quest.

As was explained to me by Molly, you need to go to 8.75A with 150g to get enough heat with the new asymmetric heater design. This will give a nice light roast in about 15 minutes if you have 120V (this provides a power of the max rated 1050W as stamped on the side plate). At 1050W, the left heater glows bright orange, and the left heater is red.

Molly says she hasn't got around to changing the user manual yet to reflect this amp change.

I still don't know what brought on this change to asymmetric heating, but I trust Mr.Yen is doing it for good reason.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 12:16pm

So how big was the batch you roasted with 1050 Watts in 15 minutes?
Endo
Endo

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 12:42pm

I started with the standard 150g batch.

After a 15 minute warm-up to 200C, I got to 1C at around 11.5 minutes and dumped at 15 minutes. All at 8.75A (1050W) and the fan set to 4 (min).

I thought this might be a bit slow? I'm concerned when I go to 250g  I will need use around 10A (1200W) and this might damage the hotter heater on the left side. I'll see what Mr.Yen has to say about suggest amps for larger batches with these new heaters.

I suppose I could always purchase the old heaters for $20 if this doesn't work out...unless there is some other internal changes I'm not aware of.
Endo
Endo

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 6:00pm

Here's my second roast using the same 150g, CR beans, 1050W and min fan. Roast went very well.

Any comments? How does it compare to other Quests with equal dual heat?

Endo: 2012_09_11_Costa.jpg
(Click for larger image)
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 6:15am

Comment - Are you sure you were above 1KW? I don't have a Quest, but I did use a 150g roaster for a couple of years and it would complete a full-city roast in 12 minutes with a heat input of:
1) Drying = 365w
2) Ramp to F.C. = 550w
3) Finish = 480W

Was the ambient temperature low?
Endo
Endo

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 9:10am

I watched my kill-a-watt closely and I was definitely running at 1050W (VA) the whole time. My voltage was at 120V and my amps were at 8.75A (checked on both the Quest gauge and the kill-a-watt readout).

The high watts confused me as well at first, but looking at the heater color, it seems they are running correctly. The left is bright orange like stove element set to high, the right element is red, like a stove element set to medium heat. This is what the designer intended to give the bean mass side more heat.

It seems to work fine for 150g batches, but I'm still confused about what to do for the larger 250g batches I wish to try next. I figure I will need to go to roughly 10A (or 1200W, which is well above the 1050W max rating) if I want to have any chance of completing the roast in under 20 minutes. I got no answer back from Mr.Yen on this subject.
Endo
Endo

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 5:32pm

Good news. Molly says I can go up to 10A no problem. Just keep the fan above 4.5.

Next stop 225g. I'll see if I can get it done under 15min with 10A, or if I need to go higher.
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307312965393)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+