Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor - Door opening trick?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor - Door...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 4:30pm
Subject: Re: Behmor - Door opening trick?

Ii open the door about 1:30 into cooling and stick a Vornado fan in front of it. I've found that 1:30 is a good compromise, and it lets the afterburner handle the bulk of the smoke, but isn't so long that the beans arent' reasonably cool by 2:30-3:00 into cooling cycle.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 4:40pm

Joel, sorry I was unclear.
At the onset of cool down I keep the door closed, or chaff will not settle in the tray, due to the the motor speed picking up a bit during the cooling cycle.
At 30 seconds into the cooling cycle, I open the door, remove the tray, sweep any visible chaff from the bottom of the roaster,  place the fan in  position, and go with the high speed for a minute or so.
I then allow another 2-3 minutes of fan, reducing the fan speed a bit, just to assure I won't dry the beans out. (Probably not an issue, just a geek thing).

Edited for spell check messing with me!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 5:53pm

Well rob seems we're arguing each other's point lol.

That's what I do minus the fan.  I remove the chaff tray and go with the door open at 30 second (unless I still see some excited chaff. I really do taste a difference in the beans doing this. I can only imagine it's doing some good for the behmor's inards.

Rob do you not do this when it's not 104degF? Or do you open the door just not with the fan?
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 6:05pm

GVDub Said:

a Vornado fan

Posted September 13, 2012 link

I have no idea what this is but it sounds cool lol.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 6:39pm

Vornado makes vortex fans that do a phenomonal job of moving air in a very directed manner. If you ever had one of these, you understand the basic principle.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 7:09pm

Joel_B Said:

Well rob seems we're arguing each other's point lol.

That's what I do minus the fan.  I remove the chaff tray and go with the door open at 30 second (unless I still see some excited chaff. I really do taste a difference in the beans doing this. I can only imagine it's doing some good for the behmor's inards.

Rob do you not do this when it's not 104degF? Or do you open the door just not with the fan?

Usually, when our ambient temps fall below 60 f, which here is from October to April. I'm speaking of night-time temps, as I generally roast after 8PM, when the power usage is low. I get 121V at the plug.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 9:26pm

Thanks gvdub!

Rob, question I had is do you not open the door during cooler ambient temps or do you just not supplement with the fan during cooler ambient temps?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 10:00pm

Joel_B Said:

Thanks gvdub!

Rob, question I had is do you not open the door during cooler ambient temps or do you just not supplement with the fan during cooler ambient temps?

I ALWAYS open the door after 30 seconds...unless I hear a 2nd crack I DIDN'T WANT, and then I immediately open the door, yank out the chaff tray and run the fan.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 10:08pm

Thanks for the good info rob.  Think maybe I didn't understand you originally. Our methods are very similar actually.
Mercury3

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 6:15pm

I popped in to check on something else and saw this so I'd like to give my 2 cents.   I've had my Behmor since shortly after they first came out and in my opinion the door opening trick does not work.  It cools it down which causes the burners to turn back on and begin to bake the beans.

Also the propping it up (tilting the roaster back) trick doesn't work either.  In my experiments I get the same length to roast.

I like the Behmor because it produces good coffee 3/4 pound at a time but I can produce better cup with my old Caffe Rosto or even hot air popcorn popper.  It's just I don't like only being able to roast less than 1/4 pound at a time with those.  

The Behmor needs a temp controler is what it needs as well as the ability to press the plus sign for more time during the last minute.  Obviously if one is pressing the plus sign the roast is being watched so there is no fire danger.   I don't know how the manufacture came up with the roasting profiles because most don't work.  P1 mostly and P2 only under certain conditions.  It needs manual control over the heating elements.  

My Behmor is getting worn out as the motor makes some straining sounds until it warms up.  I'd get a new one if they would come out with an updated model but I haven't seen anything about it.  I may spring for a Hottop.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor - Door...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319739818573)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+