Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor - Door opening trick?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor - Door...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 7:22pm
Subject: Re: Behmor - Door opening trick?

Mercury3 Said:

I popped in to check on something else and saw this so I'd like to give my 2 cents.   I've had my Behmor since shortly after they first came out and in my opinion the door opening trick does not work.  It cools it down which causes the burners to turn back on and begin to bake the beans.

Also the propping it up (tilting the roaster back) trick doesn't work either.  In my experiments I get the same length to roast.

I like the Behmor because it produces good coffee 3/4 pound at a time but I can produce better cup with my old Caffe Rosto or even hot air popcorn popper.  It's just I don't like only being able to roast less than 1/4 pound at a time with those.  

The Behmor needs a temp controler is what it needs as well as the ability to press the plus sign for more time during the last minute.  Obviously if one is pressing the plus sign the roast is being watched so there is no fire danger.   I don't know how the manufacture came up with the roasting profiles because most don't work.  P1 mostly and P2 only under certain conditions.  It needs manual control over the heating elements.  

My Behmor is getting worn out as the motor makes some straining sounds until it warms up.  I'd get a new one if they would come out with an updated model but I haven't seen anything about it.  I may spring for a Hottop.

Posted October 23, 2012 link

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I can attest to getting at least 1 minute longer stretch between 1st and 2nd crack via a door opening at the proper time.
BTW, I regularly roast 14oz (usually centrals, Sumatrans, Colombian) and only do 12 oz with specific beans.

A Behmor is $300, a HotTop is $800+, and while a very fine roaster, only does something like 9-10oz max. If volume is an issue, as you pointed out, why switch roasters? Both the Behmor and HotTop have much going for them, but neither are perfect, nor is any consumer roaster.

Mine is going strong 5 years, over 400 roasts now.
Sorry you're having issues with yours. Did you discuss yours with Joe Behm? His CS is up there with the BEST.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Mercury3

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 1:51pm

Yes they have great service as I have already changed the motor once.  He sent it to me before I even paid for it and I think it was only 20 dollars.  

Mine is just getting old so have been thinking of switching to something new rather than repairing it again.  This is why I returned to read some of the reviews and things before looking for a new one.  I think I'm leaning towards a Gene Cafe now but of course I'll be back down to 1/2 pound roasts vs 3/4th.

The Behmor has served me well and I was hoping by the time I needed a new one he might make some needed changes/updates to the machine.  Mainly two things which are the ability to lower the temp manually as soon as the first crack begins and the ability to add seconds during the last minute when the timer is flashing.  I've had to many roasts not making it to the first crack.  I accept part of the blame for that when trying to roast a full pound with certain crops.  However the machine should have this ability.

I'd consider a new Behmor if only an improved model would come out.   I'm undecided though which is why I wanted to read more reviews/opinions.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 2:10pm

Merc, just for grins, have you measured your voltage at the source?
I have 120, 121 except during the hottest months when AC usage is high. I then roast after 9PM.

If you don't have one, go to Lowes/Depot and get a Kil-o-wat device, about $20. In case you don't...
Plug it in and it will tell you what's up regarding voltage...and other stuff.

Lower than 117, and large loads could be problematic, as would be with any roaster.

I have NEVER had a problem getting through 1st and into 2nd 9 (if I wanted to) with 14oz, 1#/P1/A, and door openings.
My 1st cracks occur on average around 11:30 into the roast (14oz) and a bit sooner with 12oz.
Usually the first snap of 2nd crack occurs with at least 2 minutes left on the timer. Depends on the bean, though.
I use P3 often, with a pre blended espresso. I reduce the charge to 11oz, which gets me to a nice first in 11 minutes, and there is a long stretch to 2nd crack.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Mercury3

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 5:16am

I roast on my covered patio where we have kind of a mini built in kitchen for cooking.  It has a separate receptacle right off the Xcel Energy box on the side of the house with a 20amp breaker.  Nothing else on the line nor do I use an extension cord.  I'm betting the voltage is good but I'll get to checking it. I should just be able to check it with my multimeter right?  In fact I'm thinking I can check it with and without the roaster turned on just to see how much of a voltage drop I may get with it on.

Anyway tonight I ordered a Gene Cafe from ebay 499 including shipping.  I'll not get rid of the Behmor I'll keep it as backup.  I still have my really old Caffe Rosto too which believe it or not roasts good tasting coffee just not much at a time..........

Anyway thanks for the info. This site is great for all things coffee I won't buy anything without checking here first.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 1:26pm

Mercury3 Said:

I roast on my covered patio where we have kind of a mini built in kitchen for cooking.  It has a separate receptacle right off the Xcel Energy box on the side of the house with a 20amp breaker.  Nothing else on the line nor do I use an extension cord.  I'm betting the voltage is good but I'll get to checking it. I should just be able to check it with my multimeter right?  In fact I'm thinking I can check it with and without the roaster turned on just to see how much of a voltage drop I may get with it on.

Anyway tonight I ordered a Gene Cafe from ebay 499 including shipping.  I'll not get rid of the Behmor I'll keep it as backup.  I still have my really old Caffe Rosto too which believe it or not roasts good tasting coffee just not much at a time..........

Anyway thanks for the info. This site is great for all things coffee I won't buy anything without checking here first.

Posted October 26, 2012 link

I'm also hoping for a new version of the roaster, but mine (one of the early ones) is still making fabulous roasts.  

Have you tried roasting almonds in the Behmor?  It is a wonderful nut roaster.  There is even a site that promotes roasting cocoa beans for chocolate in the Behmor.

LMWDP # 010
Mercury3

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 7:16am

My voltage is good.  123.5 with nothing and only down to 120.3 or so running full on.  I thought it had to be because nothing else is on that circuit.  

Anyway the not reaching first crack is rare with certain crops and only when I've tried to roast a full pound.  Normally I stick with about 3/4 pound and have never had a problem.

The point for my posting was it's a little frustrating this roaster has been out for so long now and has not had any improvements made.  Clearly the two I mentioned are needed.

Thus my purchase of a Gene Cafe rather than a new Behmor.  Roasted my first batch in it yesterday and it seems to work fantastic! The only thing is I wound up with a rather darker roast than I prefer because it seems to keep on roasting some more into the cooling cycle.  I also couldn't hear the cracks which bothered me a little.

I'll read up more on the tricks others have for the Gene.

Apologies for getting off topic in this thread.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 11:22am

Prof Said:

Have you tried roasting almonds in the Behmor?  It is a wonderful nut roaster.  There is even a site that promotes roasting cocoa beans for chocolate in the Behmor.

Posted October 26, 2012 link

So, i put 2/3 of a # of raw costco almonds in the roaster. Not knowing how long and such, I went 1#/P1/A...started the roaster (no pre-heat).
Ambient temperature 65f.
from the smell, I stopped the roaster at 9 minutes, dumped, and allow to cool and "crisp up."
The aroma was unreal.
The taste even BETTER. The BEST roasted almonds we ever tasted. No salt necessary. i might reduce by one minute, though I love the deeper roast taste.
YEARS, and I never tried this. I was using my toaster oven, no rotation, etc. DUH!

Can't wait to try peanuts, though IO
'm a bit apprehensive the smell might permeate the roaster to the point of a MAJOR cleaning.

Oh, by the way, my Behmor does a great job with green coffee as well. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 11:27am

I typically do 10 oz of the Costco raw almonds on 1/4 # P1 B (9:30 minutes roast time) and it takes the almonds right to first crack before hitting the cooling cycle.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 12:04pm

IMAWriter Said:

So, i put 2/3 of a # of raw costco almonds in the roaster. Not knowing how long and such, I went 1#/P1/A...started the roaster (no pre-heat).

Posted October 31, 2012 link

I've wondered about this too Rob.
Seeing as I have a new Costco membership from Thurs Oct 11th, I'll check out the almonds, peanuts area.

from the smell, I stopped the roaster at 9 minutes, dumped, and allow to cool and "crisp up."
The aroma was unreal.
The taste even BETTER. The BEST roasted almonds we ever tasted. No salt necessary. i might reduce by one minute, though I love the deeper roast taste.
YEARS, and I never tried this. I was using my toaster oven, no rotation, etc. DUH!

Can't wait to try peanuts, though IO
'm a bit apprehensive the smell might permeate the roaster to the point of a MAJOR cleaning.

Sounds great!

yakster Said:

I typically do 10 oz of the Costco raw almonds on 1/4 # P1 B (9:30 minutes roast time) and it takes the almonds right to first crack before hitting the cooling cycle.

I didn't know that almonds did this, but then again I've never looked into nut roasting., but why the heck not right!? {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 2:26pm

There's a first crack with almonds, but no second crack that I know of.  Just stop at first, that seems to be a good roast level.  They do take longer to cool than coffee and taste better after resting a day so be careful not to burn your mouth on a hot almond.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor - Door...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346020936966)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+