Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
When the Behmor fails
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > When the Behmor...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 4:06pm
Subject: When the Behmor fails

When I used my Behmor earlier this afternoon, it began heating my 1/2 lb roast and about 90 seconds later, the heating elements went dark and stayed that way. Is there a self-servicable fuse in the unit that I could replace or does this sound like it's time to get new elements? If it's the elements, I would have suspected that they would fail individually, not simultaneously.

I've done about 300 roasts on the unit and have cleaned it regularly.

Any advice is welcome.
 View Profile Link to this post
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 4:47pm
Subject: Re: When the Behmor fails

Shoot an email to Behmor- they'll help you figure out what's going on. Best customer support in the world.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 5:08pm

The advice on contacting tech is correct, we wll assist.

Data that is needed is
1) does the front panel still light and only elements fail
2) or is everything off..

Let tech know..

Be sure to fill in the form completely to include serial number (last 6 digits)..

http://www.behmor.com/other.php

Simple as that.. please keep in mind it is Friday evening and while we are technically closed, my staff will often come in on a Saturday and/or Sunday morning just to be ahead of the issues on Monday as well as assist.

As to the elements they are in "series", if one were to fail the other would cease to work because the circuit has been "interrupted" and the system PCB has no fuse..

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 4:04pm

Once again Joe is on top of things.  

You will get taken care of and your Behmor will be (almost) like new.

LMWDP # 010
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 4:16pm

Yes, I'm curious as well it the front panel went dark as well.
Just curious (as I haven't consulted my owners manual in a while):
If the panel stayed lit, is there an error code for when the element(s) fail?

OT, but my roaster may have saved my grinder yesterday, as I saw several small rocks on the bottom of my Behmor after roasting 14oz of Ethiopian Konga!
I admit to a slight bias here, but I 2nd Prof's comment that our OP will be properly taken care of.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
johnboddie

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 8:42pm

Quick update.

The Behmor service people got back to me today (It's Sunday!) and we're going through the troubleshooting now.

Everything on the roaster appears to work properly with the exception of the heating elements.

I'll keep you all posted.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 2:09pm

Good to hear Behmor is taking care of you John.  (like any of us had a doubt lol ;P)
johnboddie

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 1:55pm

OK -

I ordered the new heating tubes and installed them. Actually, I only installed the lower one and then tested the roaster to see if that had corrected the problem.

Everything worked as I had hoped.

The service from Behmor is every bit as good as other people on this site will tell you.

JB
Mercury3

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:11pm

Cudos for Behmors service.  When my motor went out I emailed them and I received a call back from them within like 30 minutes.  Unbelievable.   He sent me the part even before I sent him the money too.  Great Service.
sae

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler,...
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Melita one cup
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn popper
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 1:28pm

I'd add my story as well...

I had my refurb behmor fail on me.  I contacted technical support and they determined it was a bad front panel so they sent me one of those for free.  I should mention at this point that I live in canada and imported the behmor myself and in order for me to import the parts I required Chocolate Alchemy to send me an invoice for the parts showing zero dollars so I could bring them across the border.  A few roasts later it failed again and this time it was determined it was the control panel so they sent me one of those along with the paperwork for the border.  A few roasts later it was the cooling fan in the circuit board area that failed so they sent me a new circuit board and a new fan along with the paper work for the border.  A few roasts later it died again but at this point I was over my 6 month refurb warranty.  Despite this Chocolate Alchemy determined that it could be a bad transformer which can burn our parts as soon as they are installed.  They paid for my shipping both ways (I had to bring it across the border though, which was fair enough).  The behmor has been going strong ever since.

I've really appreciated all the time support spent sending me parts and doing paperwork for me that they wouldn't have to do for a USA customer.  They truely went above and beyond!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > When the Behmor...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277196884155)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+