Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Opinions about how long to wait between roasting and brewing?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Opinions about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jlt3b

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II, old...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60, Clever Coffee...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:24pm
Subject: Opinions about how long to wait between roasting and brewing?

Hi everyone,

After much reading and deliberating, despite being a home roaster newbie, I opted to order a Behmor 1600 yesterday.  

I would like opionions and experiences from those of you who have been roasting for a while.  From many things that i've read, my understanding is that coffee/espresso flavors are best after they've been allowed to off-gas for a period of time (eg, 2-3 days). However, i've read posts from people stating that they've brought their home roasting appliance (popper, FreshRoast, Behmor, etc) to friend's houses for dinners or parties, roasted beans right there on site, and served them during the dinner party.  These posts seem to suggest that everyone at the dinner party absolutely loves the fresh roasted beans, and that some of them have been converted to home roasters...

What are your opinions about drinking fresh roasts immediately? How many of you off-gas for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc?  I realize that this is influenced by the type of coffee bean and how the roast was done, but i'd appreciate your generalizations.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
randychar813
randychar813
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 95% of time: Izzo Alex...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type A;...
Vac Pot: french press
Drip: no
Roaster: SF 6 lber; Hottop
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 1:40pm
Subject: Re: Opinions about how long to wait between roasting and brewing?

I like my roasts after 4-5 days.  I like it best at that time.  But try yourself; pull it after 4 hours, 12 hours, 1 day... keep a taste profile journal.  The joueney leads to discovery.  That is the good stuff.
johngorentz

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Bodum
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 5:36pm

It seems to me that light roasts often take a full week to be good, while darker roasts that get well into 2nd crack are good already on day 2, even day 1 in a pinch.  I don't know what stage my light roasts really should be called, but I think there are people who sometimes like their roasts lighter than mine.   I don't know that my experience is typical, though.  And I'm usually not able to get the fruity or nutty flavors from my light roasts that I wish I could get all the time, so don't consider mine an authoritative opinion.

When I'm behind on my coffee roasting I sometimes roast darker just so I'll have some ready to brew sooner.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
randychar813
randychar813

Espresso: 95% of time: Izzo Alex...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type A;...
Vac Pot: french press
Drip: no
Roaster: SF 6 lber; Hottop
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 5:44pm

I roast my espresso, a blend of an Indian, 2 South Americicans, a central American and an indonisian for the sweet funk to about 442 F as my 6 lber roaster is PID'ed.  That is well in 2nd about 15- 22 seconds.

French press coffee I take just to second or a little into, right at 427- 435 F depending on the orgin.  Your observation about darker roast needing less time is my taste experience as well.
strfish7

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina, Europiccola,...
Grinder: HGOne, Pharos, Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 7:02pm

Absolutely correct. The darker roasts are ready much quicker than the lighter roasts. Even 10 days is not too long for some light roasts, but really, it's worth the wait. The complexity you get from a nice light roast blows away the darker ones.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 9:06pm

The correct amount of time to allow the coffee to roast is the amount of time it takes to brew the coffee that tastes best to you. It doesn't take long to learn what that is.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
azerik
azerik

Espresso: Expobar Pulser, Cuisenart...
Grinder: Compak K6
Drip: Hario Pour over
Roaster: Bemhor
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:58am

2 to 3 days is about the norm. That said I've pulled shots with 12 hour old roasts as well. If I know for a fact I am full on out of coffee I'll let it sit out, never sealing the bag. Then I grind and let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Then pack pull pour. Never done this with a straight shot though. And I have had Yerg come back and actually 'bite' me being too gassy. Darker is sooner in my book, light roasts nearly require 40 or more hours. My 'sweet' spots always been 4 to 9 days.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 6:10am

+1  I thind 3 days is perfect!  I ususally start brewing shots or drip on the morning of day 3.  If your just using drip and your in a rush you could very well brew right after roasting!  Most micro roaster cup their coffee this way.  At least locally.  There is no right answer here.  For me I find that 3 days is always my vote.  Has never steared me wrong.  I also own a Behmor 1600.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
rarebear
rarebear

Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Yama 8C
Roaster: Hot Top B2
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 10:20pm

I wait Three day most of the time but now and then I can't wait more than two :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Opinions about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271034002304)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+