Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New with Gene - need a profile w/o external cooling
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New with Gene -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Rallendk

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:38am
Subject: New with Gene - need a profile w/o external cooling

Hey there.

I expect to get my Cafe Gene within the week, and I almost can't wait!!

Compared to my previous iRoast2, it seems a lot harder to find general guidelines for using this machine. Seems like there's a lot of different suggestions, with different temperatures, with/without pre-heating and cooling either internally using the cooling cycle, or externally using something else.

What I'm looking for is an easy "starting" profile to use as a guideline. I would like to use the inbuilt cooling cycle, even though the beans might roast a bit further after hitting the stop button. I guess I just have to stop it a little bit before it is roasted enough when doing this..

Any suggestions about where to start? Would I need to pre-heat?
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 5:38pm
Subject: Re: New with Gene - need a profile w/o external cooling

I would preheat to about 320F, takes a couple of minutes, which gives you time to weigh out your beans, and puts some energy into the GC before the beans go in (at about 260F).  It takes a long time ramp up the temperature, so you might as well get it started while doing something useful.

I roast half a lb at a time (227g), and dry at 320F for 7-8 minutes (the beans probably only get to about 300F in that time), then go to maximum temp until 1st crack, then turn down to the temperature that will give the final roast level (usually about 455F for FC+ for espresso), but start the cooling cycle about one stage early (stop at what looks like FC to get FC+, at C to get C+) when cooling in the machine.  I generally go by bean appearance rather than cracks, as they are so hard to hear, and because it's easy to examine the beans as the GC rotates.  The idea here is to get the beans dry and turning yellow before going to max temp to 1C, and then to draw out the roast to take about 4 minutes to get to the desired final point.  This seems to work reasonably well across several blends and SOs, but I don't often do low grown island coffees or Sumatran or Monsoon types.
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 4:02pm

I do not preheat and I allow cooling in the machine, though I do open the plastic hood and place a small fan to blow on the drum while cooling. I use 250 g of beans in the drum, typically roast at 465 for about 14 minutes, then reduce the temp to 255 for the remainder of the roast. Most coffees reach full city at about 15.5 to 16 minutes. First time with a new coffee, you can listen for the start of second crack and cut the roast there, but I tend to finish a little earlier than that with the GC.
Mercury3

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 6:29am

I just got my Gene and roasted my first batch yesterday.  Seemed to work well but got a little dark because I noticed it keeps on roasting a little bit into the cooling cycle.   My next batch I'll keep this in mind and start the cooling cycle a bit sooner.  Off hand I like it!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New with Gene -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214346885681)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+