Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roasting with the West Bend 82416 Air Crazy Popcorn Popper
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
jkoll42

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 6:11am
Subject: Re: Roasting with the West Bend 82416 Air Crazy Popcorn Popper

JPDyson Said:

Depends on processing; you'll get quakers with Dry Process beans because the sorting process for defects is a bit less precise. Washed coffees, less so - skimming the floaters seems pretty effective. Of course, I love a good DP Ethiopia, even if I have to cull the roast. It's worth it.

Posted September 20, 2011 link

This.

Drinking a DP Ethiopian right now and lots of pre and post rost culling of the beans is necessary.  I find that it is also helpful to slow the roast a bit more than usual after 1c starts to allow the slow beans to catch up.  You might want to try wet process hard beans when you are starting out to get the basics down and allow for more repeatability.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 6:08am

jkoll42 Said:

I find that it is also helpful to slow the roast a bit more than usual after 1c starts to allow the slow beans to catch up.  You might want to try wet process hard beans when you are starting out to get the basics down and allow for more repeatability.

Posted September 21, 2011 link

Good advice here.

--Josh
illuminati1966

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 4:39pm

"First, as far as I can tell from the manual, there is no control that will disable the heater at a certain temperature, so that shouldn't be an issue when roasting. Also keep in mind, the electrical in my apartment is sub-standard, so your own experience may vary slightly."

I have been using the Air Crazy with what I would consider a fair amount of success.  I am not an expert by any means but the first thing I did was to take it apart and disable the thermostat on the cup that holds the beans/popcorn.  It is quite easy really.  You just take out the 4 bottom screws.  Gently slide the body down a little and disconect the power cord making a note which wires go where.  Slide the body of and use a small flathead screwdriver to gently pry off the thermostat and I zip tied it near the bottom out of the way then replace the body in reverse order.

I have never had a problem getting to 2nd crack except when I tried it outside in 35 degree temps without a box or chimeny.  I consistenly hit 1st crack at 5 min and 2nd at about 8-9 min.  I have read of others that sometimes can't make it to 2nd crack because of the thermostat.  Just something to consider.  Just a warning:  DO NOT LEAVE MACHINE UNATTENDED IF YOU DISABLE THE THERMOSTAT!  or ever really.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 7:56am

I used a Poppery 2 for the longest time roasting very even 115g green weight batches giving me exactly 1/4lb end result.  Here is what I did to achieve 2nd crack within 6-7min regardless of bean type.

I placed an empty can with a Mason jar lid (top on) on the popper to trap the heat. I cut the can length wise to wedge it into the popper for easy removal.  Never had to replace it.  I used a cheap $20 k-type digital thermometer from ebay Click Here to monitor temp.  for agitation I held the popper at a 45' angle as well as used a spoon and agitated the beans every 20-30sec or so until the roast was well into browning.  I also made sure I had a dedicated line for it.  

End result looks a bit like this

Burner0000: h2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254979133606)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+