Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
roasting: where to start
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > roasting: where...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
smasha

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 4:23pm
Subject: roasting: where to start

Hi

I have my espresso machine and grinder on their way and am thinking about roasting.

I live the a coffee dessert (UK) with not a lot of choice when it comes to roasters without paying a premium for mail order stuff.

So I am seriously considering buying green and home roasting.

The question is where to start?  I read a lot about espresso machines and in doing so held back from buying a SB and went straight for a HX with suitable grinder.

Does the same gap exist in roasters? or are there cheaper ones that can do as good a job as more expensive ones?  

which makes and models should I look into?
 View Profile Link to this post
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 8:32pm
Subject: Re: roasting: where to start

I'm fairly new to roasting but I'll give you what I learned right away: You can roast beans at home that are better than coffee you will buy at your local market with really no skill at all.

I started with my $4 Popcorn Pumper and a bit of reading and roasted some Columbian beans the first night that were great. A little over roasted for what I prefer now, but better than the bag of Peet's that I had bought earlier in the week from the market.

The problem with roasting on the cheap as that you have no control over the heat or speed of roast, and ending the roast can be a bit of a guessing game.

Obviously, there is no roast profiling going on when using a popcorn popper- at least in the unmodified form.

The benefits that I've seen from commercial roasters is the ability to stretch the roasts out, the ability to evenly roast the beans, the ability to roast larger amounts per batch, and the ability to repeat results consistently.

I've never roasted what I'd consider to be a "bad" batch of beans. However, I don't get the same product every time. I try to remain consistent, but sometimes the beans don't seem to want to cooperate.

If you can get a cheap roaster, or ever a cast iron skillet, and try it out you can see if it gets you interested. Always easy to cough up money for a professional roaster later. I think this may actually be an addiction as I was looking/groping a roaster today at a local store. (It may have come home with me if my wife hadn't been giving me the evil eye)
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 8:36am

I used to live in Cambridge, UK for 7 years of uni, and then in Oxford.  I used to use hasbean.co.uk for both green and roasted coffee (and still do when visiting family), and others are available - see the UK subforum or do some googling.  The prices aren't any different to in-store or mail order prices here (e.g. £9 for 500g roasted from Hasbean compares very well with the typical $16 for 12oz-1lb here)

I also used to roast my own in UK though - I got an air popcorn popper from a Comet store - it was the display model and missing several components that I didn't need, so it cost me £2.  I also got greens from hasbean, and followed the instructions from Sweet Marias.  At the more expensive end, the Gene-Cafe roaster is available in a 230V version from e.g. http://www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk/ or the iRoast from http://www.greencoffeeltd.co.uk/asp/coffeeroaster.asp  I think there's a 230V version of the Behmor, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:00am

There are a lot of options for roasting-something for every budget.  An air popper is a great place to start.  It's inexpensive, modifiable, and reasonable durable.  If you need bigger batches, I'd look into either a heat gun or one of the DIY roasters (Convection oven with popcorn stirrer, drum for gas grill, etc.)

I used a heat gun for a long time but now I use a Behmor.  I traded control for convenience.  A down side to roasting appliances is they are designed to work within a certain voltage envelope.  If your voltage doesn't match the assumptions of the designer, you need to find workarounds due to limited control over roast times.

I'd still recommend an air popper to start.  A few weeks roasting experience will help you figure out if and where to go from there.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
smasha

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 12:41am

So using a grinder analogy what is the equivalent of a blade grinder, cheap burr grind, rancillio rocky an mazzer sj?

Also what temperature range is required?
What temperature accuracy?  Is it like setting an oven and then roasting or does the temperature need to go over a range? How long does roasting typically take? And what sort of power output does an roaster need to be able to roast 250 grams at once?

Thanks coffeegeeks!
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 9:00am

I don't think that analogy really works.  What you gain by spending money tends to be more throughput than quality.  Entry level roasters and air poppers tend to roast small batches (75-150g).  A heat gun can do 500g for about the same investment.

Finishing temperature is in the 400-450F range (204-232C) depending on how dark you go.  Time varies with mass.

I recommend reading this article from Sweet Maria's.  There is also more information here.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
nboro

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 9:34am

I don't think you need to spend a lot to get good home roasted coffee. I use an air roaster and a toaster oven. Together I spent less than $75 to get two different kinds of roasting methods. Each have their advantages and I think it's up to the end user to decide which they prefer. I found myself using my toaster oven more. It doesn't quite roast evenly throughout the entire batch, so there is some variance in final roast of each bean. I think it lends itself to a more unique flavor with certain beans.

Here's a video of roasting in my air popper:
http://youtu.be/afV52EXbsG8

And one of roasting in the toaster oven (not as refined as the air roasting video):
http://youtu.be/iQuz13_yt2Y

I've roasted in the oven inside the house I do not recommend it due to the massive amounts of smoke that are a result of roasting.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
smasha

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 1:43pm

ok it sounds like popcorn roaster it is ..... any recommendations for suppliers in the UK of green beans?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 5:10pm

Nice choice. :)  

For info and for green SweetMarias is probably the best place anywhere to get good green beans.  There is a Canadian seller that ships international. They have a huge selection and good prices. :)   Green Beanery
They also sell wholesale.

If you’re looking for an easy reference for roasting by sight and sound I swear by Wiki.  I use it to this day.  I can get a consistent roast with my Behmor 1600 just by consulting wiki on my cell while roasting and watching the bean color and cracks.

Here’s the link: Click Here   (Degree of roast pictorial)

It also includes temps for each roast if you want to spend an extra $20 on a K-type thermometer and shoot for the temp/roast you want.  PM me if you want the same thermometer I use.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
randychar813
randychar813

Espresso: 95% of time: Izzo Alex...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type A;...
Vac Pot: french press
Drip: no
Roaster: SF 6 lber; Hottop
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 5:43pm

Home Coffee Roasting, Revised, Updated Edition: Romance and Revival by Kenneth Davids (Nov 20, 2003)

This is a good place to start and an informative enjoyable read.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > roasting: where...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276960134506)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+