Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
finally!!!!
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > finally!!!!  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
crlssctt

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 2:59pm
Subject: finally!!!!

Over the last month I've done some  serious  lurking, finally decided that roasting at home is the next natural step.
So, I received my Behmor 1600 today, 8 lbs sampler coffees, and I am just upset I have school to go to since now I don't have time to play with my new toy/obsession.

I've done a bunch of reading, and I am planning in compiling a tip sheet to have laminated and ready to go by the machine at all times.
I was just wondering if you guys have any absolute must know tips for a new roaster
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: finally!!!!

Never ever leave the roaster unattended - if you have to run take an emergency dump then chalk it up to fate, hit cool on the roaster, hold it in two minutes longer, and then toss that batch when you get back.

Also, wash your hands before roasting again.

Welcome to CoffeeGeek.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
crlssctt

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 4:05pm

I definitely have to keep this in mind at all times, I'm easily distracted by shiny things, and fast moving objects, and shadows, so I'll have to leave post it notes everywhere
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 9:47pm

crlssctt Said:

I definitely have to keep this in mind at all times, I'm easily distracted by shiny things, and fast moving objects, and shadows, so I'll have to leave post it notes everywhere

Posted November 13, 2012 link

Lol, I think I am too. ; )

Seriously though, if you look through home roasting threads and forums the subject of fire comes up often enough. Usually it is someone who has roasted long enough to be comfortable doing it - too comfortable...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
crlssctt

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:54am

]Well we went through a fire a while back, so that fear is there, so, I've added a piece of equipment to my roasting setup
Click Here (i616.photobucket.com)
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 2:36am

Good call there.

If you have searched the forums then you know as much or more than I could tell about basic tips, but others will stumble on this who have done less homework so we should keep it going.

#2 I see experienced roasters often recommending taking a batch of beans from green to very very dark. The rationale is this will give the new roaster exposure to the smells, sights, and sounds of the roast as it progresses through to first and then second crack. Knowing the stages will help the new roaster to stop the process more easily at the desired roast level with future roasts.

crlssctt

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 2:49am

I definitely agree.
My first roast, since I only used .25 of a pound was sensory overload since I did not know what to expect. Sight, sound, smell, all constrained by 8:30, which is the roasting cycle for my particular application.
So if there is something I could recommend is this. Start with a half pound, it will give the first timer more time to take it all in, and make mental notes of each milestone in the process. Logically, this also gives the first timer a bigger window of error, and more time between first and second crack, avoiding the possible aforementioned  fire risk.
Also, like it says in the manual, and like others will point out, this roaster does posses a smoke suppression mechanism, it does not mean it is smokeless, so don't freak out.
And lastly, under estimate the time of the desired roast, I was shooting for a full city roast first time around, I ended up with Vienna.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > finally!!!!  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255598068237)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+