Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Newbie to roasting.. 1st Roast HG/DB.. Success!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Newbie to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
siphon74

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5, Yama SY8
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 5:12pm
Subject: Newbie to roasting.. 1st Roast HG/DB.. Success!

First, I just want to thank all of you for the information posted in this forum. I learned so much in the last month of reading!

I just got my 4 lb. sampler pack from SM's yesterday and roasted up a 1/2 lb of the Brazil Fazenda do Sertao Catuai.. I'm pleasantly surprised by the results even after letting the freshly roasted coffee sit for only 24 hours. It seems a touch aggressive on the front of my tongue but i'm assuming the characteristics will change and mellow a bit each day. Even still, it's very enjoyable to drink. I plan of drinking 2 cups of it for the next few days just to see how the flavor changes and educate myself a bit. I brewed it up in my Hario TCA5 siphon and was amazed by how much freshly roasted coffee blooms! It was almost to the top of the upper portion of the vac pot! ;)

My heat gun is a Wagner 775 and i used what i had laying around as a roasting vessel, a stainless steel colander and a dutch oven type pot to sit the colander in. Outside temp was about 50F. Heat gun on low for the 1st 5 minutes and then turned to high. I hit 1C in earnest around the 8 minute mark (a few snaps at 7) and slowed down around 9. 2C began at approx 12 minutes which i let go for a little less than 10 seconds and cooled it off immediately.. I was surprised at how even the roast came out on my first try.

I can only imagine my roasts will just get better and better with practice.. At some point i might try a different roasting vessel or maybe even a bread machine.

Again, thanks to you all.. I think i'm addicted to roasting now!

-jay
 View Profile Link to this post
okawari

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 4:29am
Subject: Re: Newbie to roasting.. 1st Roast HG/DB.. Success!

siphon74 Said:

First, I just want to thank all of you for the information posted in this forum. I learned so much in the last month of reading!

I just got my 4 lb. sampler pack from SM's yesterday and roasted up a 1/2 lb of the Brazil Fazenda do Sertao Catuai.. I'm pleasantly surprised by the results even after letting the freshly roasted coffee sit for only 24 hours. It seems a touch aggressive on the front of my tongue but i'm assuming the characteristics will change and mellow a bit each day. Even still, it's very enjoyable to drink.

Posted November 21, 2012 link

You can be almost certain that they will. The two pleasantest surprises for me since I started home roasting a couple of years ago have been how obviously different various types of coffee taste (I buy from SM), and how clearly you can taste the coffee change from day to day after roasting. I suggest (warning - I'm far from an expert) not taking the recommended resting periods too literally, but trusting to your own taste. Sometimes it's a few days longer than the packet tells you, and no doubt there are times when it might be shorter. There are very big variations between one coffee and another concerning the time needed for it to "come into its own" after roasting, but for many of them, when it does, it's unmistakable, and often quite a revelation.

I almost always drink so of my roast within 24 hours of roasting, and sometimes right after roasting, due to a lack of planning skills. Even though it's "too soon", most coffees will be good (though forward), but with a very few (I think some of the Ethiopian coffees I tried), I've found them harsh and not at all to my taste even a day or two after the minimum 48 hours or so...and then they have mellowed and become very good after a few days.

Anyway, I think that this aspect of home roasting, where your own input has such a strong - and usually beneficial - effect, and you come to learn much more about how coffee develops after roasting, is really one of the great things about doing it yourself.

Oh, and my personal favourites so far have usually been from Kenya. Give some a try!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Newbie to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24489402771)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+