Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 8:44pm
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

Gundy Said:

Hi Everyone,

Currently considering upgrading a Behmor to a HotTop B.  Reason is because I want more control.  More specifically shorter roast times (in the 14-16 minute range).

I roast 8 oz batches and like them just short of second crack which which tends to be 2 to 2 1/2 minutes from start of first crack for me.

On a Behmor @ P1, roast curve goes straight up and I usually get ~14 minute roast times on 8 oz.  Great but I don't want a rocket for my roast curve.
Using P3/P4, better curve but roast times for what I'm trying to achieve on 8 oz tend to be in the 19 to 22 minute range.  That seams too long (baked).

- What are the average roast times on a HotTop?  
- Is anyone using a Behmor and getting shorter roast times than 19-22 minutes with P3/P4
- For those that have had Behmor and HotTop, did you find one to produce better roasts over the other?

Posted January 13, 2013 link

Matt, welcome to CG.
With all due respect, you must have less than 120v coming from your outlet of choice. With exactly 8oz by weight, (1/2#P1/A) I get to 1st crack around 7-7:30 depending on the varietal. I open the door toward the end of 1st, and get a 2:30 stretch to cusp of 2nd crack...total roast timeless than 11 minutes...almost too short. (+ cooling cycle.)
At 1/2#/ P3/A I get to 1st crack at 10 minutes, 2nd crack 3 minutes later...I just add 1 minute to the roast time.

I normally roast a 13-14 oz charge at 1#setting...normally my first pops of 1st crack occur around 11 minutes.

Again, I believe you may have an issue with voltage. Anything less than 118v with any roaster is not optimal. If you own a Kil-a-wat I suggest checking the outlet.
I also roast at less busy times of electrical usage.

EDIT: Prof, you obviously type faster than I! LOL

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gundy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:16am

Just want to say thanks.  Yes it was voltage.  After you guys said that I read some other voltage threads.  Now on a 20 amp circuit, voltage holding 117-120 and things are much better.
 View Profile Link to this post
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:13am

One nit with the Hottop B is that while it isn't programmable like the P, it does allow you to save the heater and fan changes that you made during the roast so that you can use them as the basis for the next roast you do.  That's a nice feature; once you've figured out when you want to adjust settings and do a roast that way you can save it and use those same changes the next time.

The difficulty arises because the B model doesn't have a "no changes" profile or any way to clear changes that were made.  So when you start with the out of the box setting it will automatically turn the fan on at a certain point near the beginning of the roast and it will turn the heater down a bit later in the roast.  That means that you not only have to decide when you want to alter settings by observing the beans and listening for cracks, you also have to pay attention to the front panel so that you can quickly undo unwanted heater and fan changes.  With the fan that's not too difficult because you can hear the change, but with the heater you just have to continually watch the heater display ramp and notice when it changes.  There's no beep to alert you.  This takes attention away from the beans where it ought to be.  If Hottop supported a "fan off, heater 100%" profile with no built in changes for the duration of the roast then you would have a blank slate on which to craft the profile appropriate to your beans.  It's a minor nit to pick but completely unnecessary from the point of view of the design of the model B.
Roy
canon

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:41pm

Yes, one of my few gripes with the Hottop B.  As a matter of habit when the buzzer goes off during pre-heat and the timer starts counting I always turn the fan on and then off and then cycle down to heat and turn the heat down a couple stops and then back up to 10.  The overrides any programmed changes and I never get into trouble with the roast progress.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:41pm

rmongiovi Said:

The difficulty arises because the B model doesn't have a "no changes" profile or any way to clear changes that were made.

Posted January 16, 2013 link

I am not sure if it works for all versions (ages) of the "B" but try this:
Start the roaster with no beans. Once it beeps to add beans, be sure that the heat is 100% and the fan is 0%. Let it run for a few minutes manually changing the heat and fan if necessary (I am not sure how much time is necessary), then hit eject. When the cooling cycle ends, save the profile to one of the memory locations. Now you have a "no changes" profile to work from. This does not override the safety points.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 1:05pm

Ah!  So you're saying that when you make a heater change on the B model it clears all future heater changes from the current profile?  And likewise for the fan?  That's very useful to know.  It should be in the manual.  I've also presumed that the saved changes are stored by time into the roast when they should be applied, but it would be nice to see that in writing as well.  And surely there's a maximum number of changes per roast that it can store.  All of that should really be documented....
gregpullman
gregpullman

Espresso: Expobar Minore III
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Hottop B&P, redundant Gene...
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:36pm

Yep I did what Randy suggested when I first got my B. I think I had to let it get past the 8 minute mark (which is the normal minimum time), if you don't let it go long enough you don't get the prompt to save the program, but it's been so long now it could be something different. I do know that preheating and then ejecting within a minute or two wasn't long enough. I'd keep an eye on the heater and fan speed and if you see either of them change turn them back straight away. From observation, I think the Hottop scans the control panel every second to see if something's changed so if say the heater power drops and you turn it straight back up it doesn't register as a change when you save the program.

Yes once you make a change to a parameter that clears any future changes to that parameter. So if you have a temperature drop at 3 minutes and restore it at 5 minutes, if you decide to introduce a 30 second drop between 2:00 and 2:30, your changes at 3 and 5 minutes won't occur.

I might flag this post with Hottop, I agree it would be good to have this info in the manual, and provide a way to delete a program.

Greg
rgrosz

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: TechniVorm, Hario
Roaster: HotTop B-2K, Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 3:24pm

This idea simply works great - now I use the stored profile (#1) every time I roast.

I have one minor change to suggest. I have a Hottop B-2K, so mine may behave slightly different than other models. At the end of the roast, the Hottop wants to automatically save the profile reflecting any changes I just made for the last roast. I set a timer during the cooling cycle to remind me to store the modified profile in a different location. That way my stored profile does not get changed "randomly".

Sorry, but  I was mistaken - the Hottop does NOT "automagically" save changes to a stored profile.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 4:10pm

rgrosz Said:

. At the end of the roast, the Hottop wants to automatically save the profile reflecting any changes I just made for the last roast..

Posted March 9, 2013 link

Really? All versions of the "B" I have seen do ask if you want to save to profile, but I have not seen where it will save it automatically. I have sent a message to Michael (Hottop USA) about that as the factory does occasionally make changes without notifying Hottop USA.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
rgrosz

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: TechniVorm, Hario
Roaster: HotTop B-2K, Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 7:51pm

frcn Said:

Really? All versions of the "B" I have seen do ask if you want to save to profile, but I have not seen where it will save it automatically. I have sent a message to Michael (Hottop USA) about that as the factory does occasionally make changes without notifying Hottop USA.

Posted March 9, 2013 link

I'm pretty sure - but always room for error. I was QUITE surprised when the profile acted differently than I expected.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee)
showing page 12 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330888986588)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+