Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Help me with my Behmor. PLEASE!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Help me with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: Help me with my Behmor. PLEASE!

JKalpin Said:

My roasts are 10 oz. set for 1 lb.  After roasting, I net out 1/2 lb (which suits my usage).  But also, I get (roughly) 3 roasts from a 2 lb sample pack from Sweet Maria's.  But also, when I roast 10 oz set at 1 lb I don't have to preheat and I always complete the roast with 2 or 3 minutes before the Behmor would automatically go-to-cool.  I never have to add additional time ++'s, even when I start out below my normal voltage, say 118 instead of 120.  I have been roasting Monkey-Blend (P3) one full minute into the 2CR ...and still have time left over.

I suggest you do a few 10 oz roasts and report back on your low-voltage experience.  You might be just fine.

Posted December 23, 2012 link

Jerry, aren't you getting charcoal going 1 minute into 2nd crack with Monkey? Especially with only a 10oz charge?
Losing 25% of weight (my FC roasts average 17% weight loss (13oz charge on average) seems really high. Your roasts MUST be in the French roast category!
With my voltage (lucky, I guess) I
'd have briquets 30 seconds into 2nd crack!

To our OP, have you cleaned up the corrosion? Are you pre-heating the roaster with drum for a 1:45?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 2:57pm

IMAWriter Said:

Jerry, aren't you getting charcoal going 1 minute into 2nd crack with Monkey? Especially with only a 10oz charge?
Losing 25% of weight (my FC roasts average 17% weight loss (13oz charge on average) seems really high. Your roasts MUST be in the French roast category!
With my voltage (lucky, I guess) I
'd have briquets 30 seconds into 2nd crack!

Posted December 24, 2012 link

Rob, I would have thought so too, even with a slower profile (P3).  What I get is a dark brown with a moderate sheen of oil (no droplets).  I tried 30 seconds less (so 30 sec of 2CR) and the beans came out a tone lighter and my son (who drinks the espresso) prefers the darker roast.  My personal opinion (unsupported by fact) is that Monkey Blend's components might not enter the 2CR in unison.  I might be over-roasting a small part of the blend.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
Rob989_69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 7:30pm

I haven't addressed the corrosion. I need to get an electrician in and I know what they're going to say as far as fixing it so I want to find a good one that won't half a$$ things or charge me too much.

Depending on batch weight I preheat for anywhere from 1 minute to 2 minutes. I haven't run a batch since I ran the new circuit though, I've been visiting relatives in Canada for the holidays. As soon as I get back I'll run a 1/2 lb batch through and see where I'm at. I'm confident I've solved most of the problems though with the new circuit. I'll report back once I've roasted another batch and let you all know how it went though.

I appreciate all the help so far.

Happy Holidays to all!
sgreen
sgreen

Espresso: Viblemme Replica E-61
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 5:43pm

The Behmor learning curve was steep for me too. After a couple of hundred roasts trying everything else, here's my preferred "simple dark roast" method:

I usually preheat for about a minute then roast 12 ounces at 1 lb P1 setting ie. 1 lb/start.

About 1 minute into 1st crack, crack the door to the first stop for 60 seconds to prolong the time to second crack.

Close the door until 2nd crack, then open the door completely to a rolling second crack, watching the color closely to make sure I don't burn the beans. I cool with the door completely open.

I do 2 (12 ounce) roasts like this per week.

My experience is the machine might be able to light roast a pound of moderately acceptable drip coffee, but the max for my preferred SO espresso roast is 12 ounces or less.
Rob989_69

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 6:38pm

Not sure how dark you're roasting, but after running the circuit I ran 2 batches and couldn't be more pleased.

1st batch I did 8oz at the 1lb setting. Stopped with 8:30 left, this was a very (almost too) dark roast. I could have stopped it 30 seconds earlier easily.

2nd batch did 1lb at 1lb using P1. Let it run the entire time, again, super dark. At least for my use it is. Beans are WET today, not just a little oily.

Both batches got a good 30 second rolling 2c. I actually need to play some more because both went immediately from 1c to 2c. I'm going to try the door opening method as well as play around with the P2 setting to see where I'm at.

At the very least I'm turning out excellent roasts now and am able to do a full pound of coffee which was the main reason for buying the behmor in the first place. Couldn't be happier.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 8:47pm

I'm glad the voltage issues got sorted.

P2 is tricky, but it does stretch out 1C and gives some space betweeen it and 2C.  You have to have a good feel for when 1C is going to start and then program P2 to get to the power shift about the same time, or maybe shortly thereafter.

LMWDP # 010
sgreen
sgreen

Espresso: Viblemme Replica E-61
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 11:24am

"Not sure how dark you're roasting, but after running the circuit I ran 2 batches and couldn't be more pleased."

Congrats!

It really depends on the bean. I tend to prefer Central American (Costa Rica, El Salvador) single bean espresso. Kenyan AA roasts much quicker. In general, I roast "bright" coffees a little darker to mute the tone. Then too, I'm grinding with a Mini Mazzer which tends to be slightly "brighter." It's all subjective and in general I too couldn't be more pleased. : )
Rob989_69

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 5:37pm

Just wanted to give a big thank you to Behmor. I worked with them on two seperate issues, the one mentioned in this thread and another issue where the door at the back of my machine came out. I was able to fix it myself with some instructions from Bob at Tech support. They sent me 3lbs of green coffee AS A THANK YOU for fixing my machine. I have never experienced customer service like this. I had heard in my research for a roaster that they had great tech support but this is so far above and beyond what I expected it's astonishing.

Anyone on the fence about the Behmor, get it. I can't imagine a roaster in that price range being any better. Heck, I'll go so far as to say I can't see how ANY consumer roaster could match it's quality and customer service.

Great job Behmor, you've secured my business for as long as I'm roasting my own coffee.

Now get to work on a 12 cup brazen (10 would be acceptable) :)
Roastaman

Espresso: Isomac TEA
Grinder: Mazser Mini
Roaster: HWP/I-Roast
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 9:38pm

Rob,

I am glad you got it sorted out.  A new AC outlet is always a PLUS for roasting.  My AC is 119-121v and usually never drops more than 1v during a roast.
I can't ever seem to get away from a 10 oz. on 1lb-P3-D cycle I've been using with a 2 min pre heat. I try P1 and P2 but never got good results with it.  Lately, my roasts have changed and I was getting much shorter times between C1 and C2.  This last roast I started to do the door open routine after C1 stopped and tried lengthening before C2.  I stretched it out 1-2 min. and never had better from the Behmor.  I can't figure the change in character from my Behmor. The second week in a row that C2 started sooner than usual despite no changes.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:33pm

A Variac is General Radio's trade name for a variable auto-transformer.  It will output greater or less voltage than what you have at the input.  You can adjust the output voltage with a knob.  It is not a voltage regulator or stabilizer.  You need to watch the voltage and ride the knob.
I suggest that you check the outlets throughout the house look for one on a 20 A breaker.

Phil

Rob989_69 Said:

I'll check, I don't have any more 220 outlets I know that for sure. I'll try the 1lb setting tonight and see if that makes any difference.

So the Variac, would that be a good solution? I mean generally I don't need to do more the 1/2lb so tricking isn't an issue for the most part. However, there are instances where I need to do a full lb. If I get a Variac could I get the power increase needed to roast "normally"

And finally, if a variac would work, any recommendations? From what I've read 15-20amp is recommended. I'd prefer to spend less than $200 but could strech a bit for something good. I'm at work so can't check ebay now but I'm assuming that may be my best bet.

Posted December 20, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Help me with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.338889122009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+