Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Why home roast?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Why home roast?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:32am
Subject: Re: An afterthought

Yum, bread makers. One doesn't even need an excuse to name drop Zojirushi VB-CEC20 to acknowledge the wonders of home made bread in my world. Simply amazing!
 View Profile Link to this post
roach56

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 6:28am
Subject: Re: An afterthought

MerleApAmber Said:

Yum, bread makers. One doesn't even need an excuse to name drop Zojirushi VB-CEC20 to acknowledge the wonders of home made bread in my world. Simply amazing!

Posted January 24, 2013 link

I have the same model and agree it is an excellent bread maker. I doubt you will ever find it at a thrift shop but my local goodwill always has 2-3 bread makers for 5 bucks. I've been storing my greens up to a year by vacuum sealing and freezing, i've heard pros and cons to this though. I would try a popcorn popper first. I've only ordered twice from commercial roasters but both times the roast was over roasted for my tastes. That said I've screwed up many roasts.
Simplyhere
Simplyhere
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 3:43pm
Subject: Re: Why home roast?

New guy, first post.  Based on reading you fine people, I've started home roasting.  I hit the thrift stores, and fate was SMILING...I nabbed a Popcorn Pumper, a new Poppery II and, wait for it, a great original Poppery.  Total cost of all three, $11 dollars.

Anyway, I'm about two pounds into it so far, and I have to say that the difference between fresh roasted (even for a novice) and the store bought stuff is night and day.  And less expensive too.  

Anyway, a big Thank You to all of you who have helped me so far.  I am grateful and hope to be a contributing member.

Bill
roach56

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 5:15pm

Welcome to the forum. That original poppery was a real find. I've been hitting my local goodwill hoping to find one.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 8:04pm

Simplyhere Said:

New guy, first post.  Based on reading you fine people, I've started home roasting.  I hit the thrift stores, and fate was SMILING...I nabbed a Popcorn Pumper, a new Poppery II and, wait for it, a great original Poppery.  Total cost of all three, $11 dollars.

Anyway, I'm about two pounds into it so far, and I have to say that the difference between fresh roasted (even for a novice) and the store bought stuff is night and day.  And less expensive too.  

Anyway, a big Thank You to all of you who have helped me so far.  I am grateful and hope to be a contributing member.Bill

Posted January 25, 2013 link

Welcome to the forum!  

Yes, that Poppery I is a great find.  My wife found one at a thrift store, and it is the real deal.  For me, it was the next step above the normal poppers, and later to the Turbo Oven/Stir Crazy system, and finally to the Behmor.

But starting with the poppers is the best way, IMHO, to better understand the basics of roasting.  Smaller batches mean more opportunities to learn (and, aheh, to mess up, heh).  Now you can find a variac to control the voltage as well as other accessories to enhance your new hobby.

LMWDP # 010
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Why home roast?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309898138046)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+