Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
www.TheCaptainsCoffee.com
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Rob989_69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 9:17am
Subject: www.TheCaptainsCoffee.com

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by doing this and if I am, let me know and I'll edit/remove my post.

I have ordered green coffee beans from Roastmasters, Sweet Maria's, and Coffee Bean Direct. Each company has given great service and shipping and I have no complaints about any of them.

But, The Captains Coffee really stands out above them in my humble opinion. Their prices are fair, and their selection is comparable to the others. But the speed with which they ship is amazing. I placed an order for 15lbs of coffee on Thursday, just 2 days ago. It showed up at my door as I was typing this post. Now, I know, that's not everything. But speaking as someone who shops online almost exclusively NOBODY give that kind of service except amazon, and you have to pay for their prime membership to get it.

Just wanted to give a pat on the back to a great company that I don't see mentioned a lot in these circles.
 View Profile Link to this post
Snaxx

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:07am
Subject: Re: www.TheCaptainsCoffee.com

Hi Rob,

Good to hear your new circuit is working out for your roaster.

I wouldn't think there would be a problem mentioning this place if others reading this forum could benefit from it.  I certainly watch for other recommended coffee suppliers that pop up from time to time on here.  I've been fairly steady buying from Klatch since they seem to have good quality in their beans along with varying varieties, and quite often they offer free shipping for $50 and up orders, which is until Jan. 1 right now, and numerous times during the year.  A couple varieties I like from them are Colombian Frutas de Popayan, and FTO Ethiopian Gedeo Worka.  I don't roast these too dark, as the best flavor seems to stand out with lighter roasts.  The Frutas de Popayan has a delicate fruitiness to as the name refers.  The Gedeo Worka seems to be more like a good Sidamo with a flavor unique from others.  

Ken
Rob989_69

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:22am

Thanks Ken, I'll check them out, that's a new one for me. I've been meaning to try a good Ethiopian, I'm a huge fan of the Kenyans so it's not much of a stretch that I'd like them.
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 2:09pm

Someone recently posted that S M had a few uncommon Ethiopians that were worth stocking up on.  I took a quick look at the S M website and there were quite a few I'd never heard of but with nice descriptions, so I'll have to find some time to put an order together.  Harrar though, has never been one that I found to be good from my roaster, even from various sources and even after many days of rest.  Just not a very outstanding taste, just an OK coffee.  Though of course, much better than Star$$$$s.

K.
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 8:23pm

I've ordered from Captain's Coffee several times and been very happy with what I got. But- I've received that same excellent service and speed from Sweet Maria's as well (2 days from order to doorstep). I think that if I didn't live in the same state it might take an extra day. It usually takes 3-4 days when I order from CC, Roastmasters and Happy Mug- they're all a lot farther away but they all offer great customer service. I think we're pretty lucky that this hobby has a lot of really outstanding companies.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rob989_69

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 6:01am

I'll preface this by saying I'm not complaining about it. But My last order from SM was placed almost a week before my captains order. It will take 2 weeks to get it. Now granted, I placed the order on 12/21, right before the holidays. But it won't be here till 1/4.

Again, not knocking SM, they never made any promises and I'm receiving my beans in what I would say is an acceptable time period. Just thought that Captains went above and beyond. I will also say, Roastmasters is very good as well. I ordered my behmor from them and received it within a few days too.

As you stated Gregr, we're lucky we have a hobby with so many great companies serving us.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 7:02am

Rob989_69 Said:

I'll preface this by saying I'm not complaining about it. But My last order from SM was placed almost a week before my captains order. It will take 2 weeks to get it. Now granted, I placed the order on 12/21, right before the holidays. But it won't be here till 1/4.

Again, not knocking SM, they never made any promises and I'm receiving my beans in what I would say is an acceptable time period. Just thought that Captains went above and beyond. I will also say, Roastmasters is very good as well. I ordered my behmor from them and received it within a few days too.

As you stated Gregr, we're lucky we have a hobby with so many great companies serving us.

Posted December 31, 2012 link

SMs to my door in PA ups ground shipping is 7 days all times of the year except around Christmas. When I used to order smaller quantities I would do the USPS flat rate and get it in 2-3days. Anything a state or two away gets here in 2-3 days with ground shipping.

I am lucky to have a major UPS sort facility very close by as well as for USPS but Fed eX is slower since it has to go into center city Philadelphia and then to another location before delivery to my house.
Retired_Guy
Retired_Guy

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa (Thank...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Drip: French Press for emergencies
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 1:41pm

I used to always order from SM's, until a couple years ago when the shipping costs got to a point where I had to look for alternatives.  That's when I found Capt Coffee, and I've been ordering from them since.  I don't order from them because of their quick ships, although that's nice (geez, we're on opposite coasts even), but I like them and I've always received good product.  Denny especially was very helpful to me.  Now that he's turned it over to the youngsters, I was a little concerned but they've been great too.
moreshots

Espresso: Cimbali DT1//Jura Z5
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pharos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Made my own 2KG roaster
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 6:04am

Also have ordered From Captains coffee and another Klatch. both have great service and very good prices.

SM is a great company wondering if there getting TOOO big????

Bill
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 6:09am

Retired_Guy Said:

I used to always order from SM's, until a couple years ago when the shipping costs got to a point where I had to look for alternatives....

Posted January 1, 2013 link

$8.99 for up to 20 lbs for shipping.  Doesn't seem inappropriate. http://www.sweetmarias.com/order.php?source=side

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293196201324)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+