Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How long should a roaster last?
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How long should...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
prairiedog

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 5:11pm
Subject: How long should a roaster last?

How long should a roaster last?  I've had my Gene Cafe for over five years now.  I probably average 2-3 roasts a week.  Someone once told me not to expect more than two years from any non-professional roaster.  I've passed that up by a long shot.  What is your experience on longevity?
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 7:17pm
Subject: Re: How long should a roaster last?

Early Gene cafes into the UK had problems, but from about  April 2007 the Gene was re-launched in the UK and has been very reliable. Mine is 5 years old and I have friends with gene cafe roasters of similar age that regulary do 3+ roasts a week. The main problem with the Genes prior to Apr 2007 in the UK was to a smaller extent the firmware, but to a much larger extent the fact that the UK vendor at the time was importing models with 230V heating elements. Although the UK is a "nominal" 230V, nothing really changed and our supply is really still 240V and can rise as high as 252V. This meant they were running real hot and heating elements had a fairly short life. The current heating elements are sized for a VERY large number of roasts.

I think in the US though you might be getting 110V elements, which is perhaps less than ideal unless you run the dimmer mod, and in that case a 100V element would be optimal....limiting the power consumed to around 1180W max, unless it's really really cold ambient temps..

The other thing that can seriously extend the life of all components in a Gene is the dimmer mod I came up with. Spares are easy to get hold of and inexpensive. I have a large selection of spares, but have never had to use them. I think I even have a spare motor and fan! I also don't advocate cleaning the roast chamber too often...once per year perhaps and then only really the glass.

So yeah much m,ore reliable than I ever dreamt it would be considering it's plastic....many of these 5 year old roasters look almost new!
prairiedog

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:04am

Have you had any problems with it not going through the complete cool down cycle as it aged?  I've noticed that I sometimes get an error message and the machine stops part way through the cool down cycle.  I have to then quickly pull the hot cylinder and pour the beans out on a plate to cool.  This only occurs on the second or third roasts (starting temperature ~120F instead of typical 80F).  But I don't remember this occurring when it was new.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 4:25pm

Try cleaning the temp sensors, particularily the left hand one. If that doesn't work, you might want to replace the sensor and see if that helps. If it's not working properly a lot of people can be unaware of this as the overheat sensor within the heater box area simly cuts in and out and controls the roast (not that well). People then often report uneven roasting, and sometimes longer, with much reduced heating element life.

If you hear "element switching", when the roaster is not up to the preset temperature, then that will be the overheat sensor cutting in......and indicative of a bigger problem e.g. airflow, weaking fan, very chaffy bean, overloading, exit sensor reading incorrectly etc..
prairiedog

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 4:29pm

Thanks.  I'll check that this weekend.  I've never had any problem with the roast itself, only the cool down cycle, and then only on the second or third roast.
bobpaule
bobpaule
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Venus, Enrico...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky...
Drip: I'd rather seize!
Roaster: Galloping G/Stir Crazy, FR8...
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 1:00pm

While I have been roasting a pound every week for 10 years
I am getting disgusted because this bxxxx refuses to die on me.

No matter what catalytic of noncatalytic roaster they bring to the
market, no matter how Swiss or Teutonic the name, they
all suffer from oil deposits and eventually break down, not my
faithful. I wipe her clean with auto glass cleaner and she keeps
rewarding me.

Ethiopia Sidamo in wall mounted dogfood storage with kitchen scale
permanently mounted on top, the entire process is 30 min max.

bobpaule: SCGG.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 2:04pm

prairiedog Said:

How long should a roaster last?  I've had my Gene Cafe for over five years now.  

Posted December 9, 2012 link

Good on you.  I ran through 110 V elements in 2005/2006 like disposable lighters.  Sounds like improvements have been made!
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 5:44pm

I built my one-pound, heat-reclaiming, 120V, fluid-bed roaster around one proven heating element: the Master Appliance 750F/1450 watt.
Going strong for 18 month now, and I have a spare.

oldgearhead: 861-1633_large.jpg
(Click for larger image)
krivera1
krivera1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Jura F9, Nuova Simonelli...
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario WCT
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 9:45am

I've had my GeneCafe a little over 6 years now (US model).  I've had to do repairs a couple of times to it to keep it running, but nothing terribly major (it's not like the device is rocket science).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How long should...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29927611351)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+