Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
BEHMOR 1600 Made me look bad.......
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > BEHMOR 1600 Made...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BOTR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 2:45pm
Subject: BEHMOR 1600 Made me look bad.......

I am totally shamed....

I have been roasting in various ways for just about a year now. I started with a popper. Graduated to a home made stainless steel drum, on my Weber Grill. Then went back to roasting on an iron skillet. I thought I had it down. I thought I made good coffee.

Then came the BEHMOR. I am only 2 roasts in, and this coffee is worlds better than anything I was able to produce from my homegrown contraptions. Anyone thinking about buying a manufactured roaster, but dont want to invest a boatload of money, give the BEHMOR some thought. I have zero regrets so far.

One little hint though...... keep your roasts at about 1/2 lb, or less if you don't want smoke. Keep a window open, and a fan handy for your first few runs.

Thanks,
Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 5:31pm
Subject: Re: BEHMOR 1600 Made me look bad.......

and the fun has just begun!  :)

Congrats on your new roaster.  Be sure to clean the insides frequently and do the dry burn every 5 roasts.

LMWDP # 010
Divey

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:51am

Prof Said:

and the fun has just begun!  :)

Congrats on your new roaster.  Be sure to clean the insides frequently and do the dry burn every 5 roasts.

Posted January 8, 2013 link

When you say frequently, how often do you suggest? About the same as the dry burn or more often?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 2:35pm

I had the same experience.  I think the biggest benifit that the Bohmor gave me over the popper and stovetop was the roast time allowing the beans to roast properly.  Also the improved chaff removal over stovetop helpes the taste.  I was alwyas tossing with burned chaff in the pan.. I also put a fan behind my Behmor to suck any smoke out the window.  1/2 FC roasts no smoke.  :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 4:23pm

Divey Said:

When you say frequently, how often do you suggest? About the same as the dry burn or more often?

Posted January 9, 2013 link

I clean out the inside after every roast, probably more than needed.  But it's quick to do.  

As per Joe's suggestion, I use 1 part Simple Green and 4 parts water, kept in a small spray bottle.  Check out the photos in the manual (or on the website) of where to focus.

LMWDP # 010
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:00am

I used 100% SG every 5 roasts or every 3 if I roast med or darker.  Unless your doing a dry burn your exposing the beans to a bit of the SG left in the roaster during the start of the roast.  Everythings replacable.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:24am

I dilute as Prof points out then everyt 5 roasts lightly spray the interior as noted in our manual etc. Wipe clean/ dry, wait a few then do a dry burn to burn off an leftover SG sediment. Note- be sure to wait a few after spraying and do not over spray especially the elements.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > BEHMOR 1600 Made...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271754980087)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+