Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Have Pavoni, good local roaster.  Should I home roast?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Have Pavoni,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
driggers

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 1:39am
Subject: Have Pavoni, good local roaster.  Should I home roast?

I have been brewing espresso on my Pavoni for 4 years, and in Victoria, BC, we have a top notch roaster, Discovery Coffee (you might argue that we have a few other great ones too, but this is consistently my favourite.).  So economics and experiment are my only motivations.

I am afraid that I might not get the quality I'm used to with, say, the Behmor 1600.  If there is anything wrong with a roast/bean, the Pavoni (aka chrome peacock) will tell you, and I'd hate to make a $400 investment to find that I can't learn to produce something I want to drink.

We consume about 1lb per week, which costs $16.  Looks like 18lbs of green coffee will cost me $140 with shipping, which is $7.78.  (16-8)*52 = 416 says that this should pay off in about 1 - 1.5 years (assuming I make mistakes, do some experimentation).

But will the roast be up to snuff?  Will I get nice crema, sweetness, boldness that I can from my local roaster?

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 7:29am
Subject: Re: Have Pavoni, good local roaster.  Should I home roast?

There's a lot to learn about fine roasting. It's a learning journey. Not for everyone. Roasting brought me so much closer to coffee and thoroughly enjoy it. Economics can be a positive but probably shouldn't rule your decision. Upgradeitis can effect short term gains. Though resale roaster value is pretty good should you choose opt out at some point. There are many folks who do great roasts at home.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:58pm

I order a lot more than I home roast but I also love roasting. Its just another experience with coffee that I really enjoy.
The advantages to me are roasting to my own liking,freshness and storing beans I fall in love with. I have a few pounds of a great
Jamaican Blue Mountain,an awesome 5 lbs of a great Chiapas , two or three lbs of a killer San Cristóbal Galapagos and some green
Vivaci which is the best espresso ive ever had...overall I probably have 30 lbs just waiting till I need it.

At work I have taken it upon myself to share coffee with my work group. I have two that are really learning to appreciate
good coffee. Ive totally wrecked them for Peets and Starbucks which is supplied at work. Heres the funny thing. I had some two year old
Columbian green I got from Sweet Marias,a Didier Reinoso & Luis Reinoso  micro lot ,a Colombian from La Mercedes, Herrera, Tolima and it was better than
any of the expensive roasters coffee I had been bringing in and mine was done on a Behmor. It was that good. So yeah I say get into home roasting.
So anyways those beans I bought from Sweet Marias ( the Didier & Luis Reinoso from Tolima) had sat in my storage cupboard for a year and a half.

Now you wont always get results like that but you will be surprised at the results you do get. Its just rewarding and fun.

Where I buy a lot of beans and Tom knows a lot and is a great resource.
http://www.sweetmarias.com

My favorite espresso
http://www.espressovivace.com/

I found a site that sells that Columbian and I guess they buy most of it.
That probably explains why I cant find it green anymore at Sweet Marias.

http://madcapcoffee.com/buy/coffee/didier/

Good luck on your journey and if you decide to home roast you will be rewarded.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 5:12am

Hello doctor,

Roasting in a more primitive way than buying a Bemor is, if you are up for it, a way into a kind of deep communion with the bean. Learning with a far more primitive (and way cheaper) method like a thrift store popper, or Aunt Edna's cast iron pan that she left you in her will or that wok that you haven't used since the stir-frying craze of 1997, means that the only expense is gettin' some beans and having at it.

You will certainly do irrepairable harm to the occasional batch, but will gain great lessons in the smell, taste and appearances that said greens go through and at the end of the day have a bunch o' beans to taste, and if my experience with these methods of applying heat to food stuffs (a pretty good description of cooking, by the way) will have some fun and meet some interesting beans.

Lots of great sources too and continual new crops appear.

Much fun to be had (but then I make my own tortillas too).
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:14am

Here are some I just roasted to take to work. A different Columbian than the above mentioned but very good.

Iluvdabean: roasted.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
driggers

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:49am

Thanks for all your thoughts.  I have got 5lbs to try out from birds and beans (their website was tempermental, but the manager took my order over the phone the next day).

I am thinking of DIY method I haven't seen on the forum here.  I'll use a drum and... a bbq?  a heat gun?  an outdoor stove?  suggestions?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170942969532

Are chaff fires a big risk when roasting over an open flame?  do they matter that much?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Have Pavoni,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252112865448)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+