Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor P2 power drop question
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor P2 power...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:02pm
Subject: Behmor P2 power drop question

Hey guys.  I recently bought an espresso machine, and so I've been more interested in extending 1st crack and the break before 2nd than I was when roasting for drip.

I mainly roast in 8oz batches, and most of the beans I've roasted reach first crack after 10:20 to 10:30 of roasting. This means that I would need to use P2, 1lb, A settings which would put the power drop at 10:48.

I've done two roasts this way, and the power drop has been near-perfect timing with the start of first crack.

My problem is that I am trying to roast to around FC+, and the power drop when using the above settings is over five minutes. I waited around two minutes after first subsided to hear a single pop of second crack but it never came, due to the fact that the power hadn't gone back up yet. I ended up stopping both roasts before second so as to not bake the beans.

Should I have just waited longer until second crack comes? Is it ok to roast this long in the lower temperatures, or should I figure out a different volume that will reach the power ramp-up sooner?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 8:27am
Subject: Re: Behmor P2 power drop question

Evan,

I roast Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend for my son's espresso.  I'm not sure but I think it has a large component of Brazil.  Therefore I use Profile P3 (which is a slow roast).  

The last roast (10 oz) I did reached the 1CR at 15:19 min.  It continued for 3:02 min.  In that 3 minutes there was just the start of 2CR and when I went to 'cool' the 2CR continued for about a minute.  The beans were uniform dark brown with an obvious sheen of oil.  After 3 days there were spots of liquid oil here and there.  My son says it was 'perfect'.  He made me a latte with it and I had to agree.

I think what you're asking is:  How long can the roasting continue before it becomes baked beans.  My roast, from start to cool, went 18:21 min.

Below you will see a screen shot of the Roastmaster App for that roast, showing 15:19 to 1CR, 3:02 to cool, total roast time of 18:21.

On the right side you will see the Behmor P3 Profile with a green dot at the start of the 1CR and a thick white bar showing roast length.  In the Behmor manual that profile is shown but both the x & y axes are in percentages.  That's real inconvenient to work with.  The App scales it for you and shows where, along the X axis, the cracks occur.  This is a recent addition to the program (upgrade).

I am now tempted to start using Profile P2 because I will be able to 'drop the notch' into the right spot more easily.

JKalpin: IMG_0034.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Jerry
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:01am

How are you reading them temps?  Is this a simple usb k-type thermometer?  
I found that using P2 regular 1/2 pound setting works fine for a C+ roast. The window from 1C-2C is just much smaller.  When I roast JBM (Hard Bean) I usually see the power drop before 1C but I am still able to judge when to cool for C+ or FC.  The roast still tastes fine so I don't worry much.  Now I'm intrigued.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:54am

JKalpin Said:

I think what you're asking is:  How long can the roasting continue before it becomes baked beans.  

Posted January 15, 2013 link

Not quite. To be more specific, I'm asking how long the roasting can continue in the power drop of P2 after first crack has ended. Can I ever reach FC+ in the power drop, or will I need the last leg of the profile to kick in before that happens?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:47am

Sorry. You would need the last leg of the roast to push it through into 2C.

UPDATE
According to the Behmor manual P2 needs to be adjusted in order to allow the power drop to occur at the right time.

Part: V, (3), Page 8

The following times listed are guidelines to better anticipate a roast hitting 2nd crack. The times shown are approximately what it takes from start of the first crack/snap of 1st crack to the start of 2nd crack for regular coffee (decaf gets darker quicker). This guideline is especially important to know when using Profile 2/ P2. We have found over the course of many tests using P2 it will give you only a few 1st cracks then go silent, moving gently into 2nd crack in the times shown below. We suggest adjusting times as close to the following once you hear the first cracking sound of 1st crack. This should allow you to more accurately control your roast.
a)
¼ lb - 1:30 minutes
b)
½ lb - 2:10 minutes
c)
1 lb– 3:10 minutes"
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor P2 power...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255190134048)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+