Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How do I roast for espresso vs. coffee?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How do I roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MikeSD

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop 8 Cup
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Homemade SC/CO
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:13am
Subject: How do I roast for espresso vs. coffee?

Okay, so I am still waiting on my green coffee sampler from Sweet Marias.  They got backed up a bit over the holidays.  Anyway, I ordered a "regular" sampler pack.  They also had an espresso option.  My question is, is the difference between espresso the bean, the roast, or both?  (Obviously, there is a difference in how you brew it, as well.)  

I would also like to know how to go about roasting espresso if there is indeed a difference.  I don't actually have an espresso make yet, but I do have a moka pot I picked up the other day. (It was $14 for a stainless steel one, so I though, why not?) So far it just seems to be brewing stong coffee.  I also have an Aeropress coming today.  I know they don't make espresso exactly, but they are as close as I'm going to get for a while.

You guys have all been so helpful.  Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:29am
Subject: Re: How do I roast for espress vs. coffee?

Even though there is an espresso roast, which is very dark and oily, it's not mandatory for brewing espresso. Infact, most modern (third wave) espresso blends are much lighter.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 8:01am

Espresso is a drink not a roast.

Roasting for espresso is just a profile, I tend to stretch the roast out from the start of first crack to finish of roast to caramelize  more sugars for a sweeter taste and less acidity especially at lighter roasts.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:01am

It also depends on the beans being roasted. A Colombian roasted to about one minute after the end of first (well before second) can be delicious for drip but nasty as an espresso.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:06am
Subject: Re: How do I roast for espresso vs. coffee?

It's ironic that espresso turns up the brew intensity so much, then asks the roaster (and the bean) to 'tone it down' on the intensity and forward acidity flavors. There is paradox here to reach the right balance.
The roaster has a wide margin for interpreting the flavor profile of a bean. Selecting the right bean for espresso is as important as getting the right roast profile.  In general it's as Rob stated; the roast is a bit slower with a longer finish, smoother, more body. Dry process beans with generally lower acidity and more body at lighter roasts work well for espresso.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:34am

MikeSD Said:

My question is, is the difference between espresso the bean, the roast, or both?

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Both.  

Some beans work better for espresso than others.  

And, roasting for espresso generally works out best (for me) using a slightly longer, slower roast...finishing at a somewhat higher temperature (roast profile as compared for presspot or drip coffee brewing).

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Whale
Whale

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MCal, EP, Fiore...
Grinder: MXKR, K10 Fresh,Major,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex
Drip: Press only, I don't do drip!...
Roaster: Cafemino E and Poppery 1
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 5:33am

As can be read from the answers so far. There is no clear answer to your question.

There is such a thing as a roast level that is often referred to as "espresso".
It is a roast level that stretches from "Vienna" to the "French" roast level but can begin as low as "Full city +". It is essentially anything above the the first few pops of the second crack. As such, the designation refers to anything that could be used in the traditional standards of espresso brewing.
A lot of people, including me, do not like this designation. It is a very large and fuzzy and does not provide any clear specificity. Because of this it is being used less and less to described a roast level by coffee enthusiasts but it is still often used by professional roaster that want too describe their coffee without giving too much information on their secret recipe.

Furthermore, as stated before, the standards for brewing of espresso drinks have been expanded, not to say eliminated, such as to "allow" brewing pretty much almost anything with an espresso machine.
I have often used coffee roasted at City in blends used in espresso and sometime even used a City + as SO. It all depends on the coffee origin, and quality, roast profile, the dose, the grinder and the espresso machine settings. But even more, it all depends on personal taste.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How do I roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267247915268)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+