Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
behmor 1600 roaster
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > behmor 1600...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bwcasolo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ranchilio silvia
Grinder: baratza preciso
Drip: krups
Roaster: behmor1600
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 5:56am
Subject: behmor 1600 roaster

i have had my behmor for about 6 months. love it. i buy beans from sm, a local roaster here, and a few others. i drink a double americano and my wife drinks a double every morning, and 2 for me on the weekends so i don't roast too much per week, say about 8 ounces at a time. i have always used p1 and add time and take the beans up to and into 2nd crack. they come out so nice. after a few days of rest, they really explode with flavor, and like homebrew, the longer they rest the better. my question to you behmor owners, have you roasted more than 8 ounces with a different profile setting, and do the other profiles add more time to roast more ounces of beans. it seems that 8 ounces is the limit for p1 to take the beans to 2nd crack.  cheers
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 7:21am
Subject: Re: behmor 1600 roaster

bwcasolo Said:

i have had my behmor for about 6 months. love it. i buy beans from sm, a local roaster here, and a few others. i drink a double americano and my wife drinks a double every morning, and 2 for me on the weekends so i don't roast too much per week, say about 8 ounces at a time. i have always used p1 and add time and take the beans up to and into 2nd crack. they come out so nice. after a few days of rest, they really explode with flavor, and like homebrew, the longer they rest the better. my question to you behmor owners, have you roasted more than 8 ounces with a different profile setting, and do the other profiles add more time to roast more ounces of beans. it seems that 8 ounces is the limit for p1 to take the beans to 2nd crack.  cheers

Posted January 26, 2013 link

I roast up to 14 oz ounces and easily get to 2C. I occasionally do a full lb. I've lately been using mostly P1 and opening the door for 10 secs here or there to slow things down a little.
P2 is very difficult to time correctly.
P3 is good for soft beans and decafs but I sometimes wind up with long roasts (> 20 mins).

One trick is to preheat (run the roaster for 2 mins or less on P1, then restart the roast). Some do it with beans in, I do it with beans out just to warm up the roaster.
If you preheat too much, you won't be able to restart until the roaster cools down a bit.

As for judging your roasts: use the "Rosetta Stone" found in the Behmor manual (tells you how far past 1C to go to expect the start of 2C).

Also, the Behmor is rather voltage sensitive, so if your voltage runs low things will go slowly.
I have a Kill-a-watt plugged in so I always know the voltage.

PS: roasterthing (at roasterthing.com) is a freeware program for PC that's GREAT for keeping track of your coffee and roasts.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 8:57am

If you are using an extension cord, you might be limiting the voltage that the Behmor can use under load.  Yes, a Kill-a-Watt sounds like what you need.  

You should be able to roast 12 to 14 ounces with P1 and get to second crack.

Oh, since you like the roasts going into second crack, make sure you frequently clean the insides of the roaster.

LMWDP # 010
bwcasolo

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 9:26am

thanks, no extension cord here and i roast in our basement, with a pre warmup as well. maybe it seems like some beans roast differently. last night's 8 oz. sm#24 roasted to 2nd c nicely, but that was only 8 oz. i have timed out before on a larger batch, i do not like putting the beans thru another cycle to finish out. my local roaster says it's a process that should not be interrupted or restarted, what'dya think about that?
BeanBurner

Drip: Capresso Team
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 5:08pm

I got one for Christmas and have had such a blast using it. I had an entry-level roaster (Fresh Roast) for several months and it was tiresome to only be able to roast a quarter-pound at a time so the Behmor was a big upgrade for me. So far I am really loving it, best Christmas present ever!

My unit had a factory defect (or possibly shipping damage) with one of the fans. Instead of giving me an RMA, Behmor sent out a new fan and I swapped out the part myself. I'm comfortable repairing electronics so that was fine, just hope the unit will hold up over time. So far so good.

After several 8 oz roasts to get familiar with the unit, I'm doing almost all 1-lb batches now, 2-3 lbs per week on average.  I confess I found the user manual's explanations of the profiles and programs to be inadequate. This forum has been very informative, so thanks to all the contributors for sharing your experiences and opinions.

I'm mostly roasting at P1 or P2 depending on the bean and bumping the time up or down as needed. I wish it were possible to adjust the temp on the fly and I wish the display let you switch between elapsed time and remaining time.

Today I discovered that hitting the P1 or P2 buttons during the roast gives what appear to be temperature readings in Celsius. I am not sure what these numbers mean so if anyone has that info I'd appreciate it. Could not find anything in the manual about it.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 8:44pm

BeanBurner Said:

I got one for Christmas and have had such a blast using it. I had an entry-level roaster (Fresh Roast) for several months and it was tiresome to only be able to roast a quarter-pound at a time so the Behmor was a big upgrade for me. So far I am really loving it, best Christmas present ever!

My unit had a factory defect (or possibly shipping damage) with one of the fans. Instead of giving me an RMA, Behmor sent out a new fan and I swapped out the part myself. I'm comfortable repairing electronics so that was fine, just hope the unit will hold up over time. So far so good.

After several 8 oz roasts to get familiar with the unit, I'm doing almost all 1-lb batches now, 2-3 lbs per week on average.  I confess I found the user manual's explanations of the profiles and programs to be inadequate. This forum has been very informative, so thanks to all the contributors for sharing your experiences and opinions.

I'm mostly roasting at P1 or P2 depending on the bean and bumping the time up or down as needed. I wish it were possible to adjust the temp on the fly and I wish the display let you switch between elapsed time and remaining time.

Today I discovered that hitting the P1 or P2 buttons during the roast gives what appear to be temperature readings in Celsius. I am not sure what these numbers mean so if anyone has that info I'd appreciate it. Could not find anything in the manual about it.

Now THAT is an interesting idea, a temp readout!  I kind of doubt it, but it would be fun to know if its there.  I'll check it out tomorrow during a roast.

LMWDP # 010
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 8:51pm

BarryR Said:

I roast up to 14 oz ounces and easily get to 2C. I occasionally do a full lb. I've lately been using mostly P1 and opening the door for 10 secs here or there to slow things down a little.
P2 is very difficult to time correctly.
P3 is good for soft beans and decafs but I sometimes wind up with long roasts (> 20 mins).

One trick is to preheat (run the roaster for 2 mins or less on P1, then restart the roast). Some do it with beans in, I do it with beans out just to warm up the roaster.
If you preheat too much, you won't be able to restart until the roaster cools down a bit.

As for judging your roasts: use the "Rosetta Stone" found in the Behmor manual (tells you how far past 1C to go to expect the start of 2C).

Also, the Behmor is rather voltage sensitive, so if your voltage runs low things will go slowly.
I have a Kill-a-watt plugged in so I always know the voltage.

PS: roasterthing (at roasterthing.com) is a freeware program for PC that's GREAT for keeping track of your coffee and roasts.

This was an excellent post, took the words out of my mouth.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 7:30am

I have had mine for about 6 months now and I have been sticking to the manual as to which profile to use for which bean.  I have always had great results and no issue hitting second crack without pre heating.  I know with P2 (I haven't tried this yet though) the manual gives you the approx. amount of (time to add) in order for the temp drop to occur between 1C - 2C.  In either case the object of that profile is to prolong time around 1C which will give great results regardless.  As long as your using the Rosetta stone method you will get target roasts every time.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 7:53pm

bwcasolo Said:

HI bw...

I use P1 - 1# - B with a minute and 20 sec pre-heat (beans in) for 350g - 372g of every sort of bean (12-13 oz) and hit 1st crack at between 12:30--14 min into the roast, open the door for a full minute to stretch the time between 1st and 2nd crack and average 3:30sec between the cracks. My favorite spot is between 10-15 sec into second crack.

I'm roasting in an unheated (attached) garage in Wyoming, all winter long. I do prefer the garage be at least at 50°F (10°C) to obtain consistent results.

The size I roast 350-370gm will fill a 1 quart mason jar, which my wife and I (and our friends) can drain pretty quickly - so there are usually 4 or 5 jars on our counter top. I roast every other week.

Not sure why you are hitting the limits. I do clean mine with Simple Green every 5 roasts (as prescribed by Behmor) and keep the leading edges of the tray shiny.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
bwcasolo

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:43am

update- brought the roaster upstairs. set it on my stove and cut cardboard side pieces to lead the smoke to the stove top fan. plugged directly into the outlet, and presto, 1# roasteds beans to a T. i used the p1, 1# setting. i did not try the 1# B, as i am not sure if it is a cooler roasting temp, i need to read the frikin manual. i did notice where a batch of yemen beans, hard little suckers, took more time, very pleased with the results, thanks for the tips.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > behmor 1600...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379380941391)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+