Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New drive for CO roaster
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New drive for CO...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Radixb
Radixb
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Kyocera CM-50, PeDe Dienes...
Vac Pot: Knapp Monarch, Sunbeam
Drip: Aeropress, Chemex, Melitta...
Roaster: SR300, GG/BreadMachine
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:51pm
Subject: New drive for CO roaster

So, I have finished reworking the drive mechanism for my roaster.  Formerly driven by a bread machine drive, it spun at about 250 rpm which was doing a little more than "stirring" the beans.   After giving the issue some thought and looking at prices of windshield wiper and power window motors, I decided to try modding a power screwdriver.  The local big box had a 6V unit powered by AA batteries, so it was simple to convert it to run off of an adapter.  It remains to be seen how the screwdriver holds up to 15-20 min drive sessions, but at less than $9 new, I'm not worried.

Radixb: New Drive2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Reuben
 View Profile Link to this post
Radixb
Radixb

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:52pm
Subject: Re: New drive for CO roaster

Here is a pic of the whole unit:

Radixb: New base.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Reuben
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 5:54pm

Window motors as well as power screwdrivers are generally not considered constant-duty motors. It is why I recommend the windshield wiper motors considering that you can walk into a pick-n-pull yard and get them fairly cheap. it will be interesting to see how long the B+D driver lasts.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 7:12pm

I wouldn't think those B-D power drivers are designed to run for more than a minute before needing a rest.  If and when it finally destroys itself, you might want to consider looking at the selection of gearmotors from Burdens Surplus.  Many of the cheaper motors are listed as intermittent duty, but intermittent duty cycle in most of these would certainly be more that the duty cycle of an AA battery powered driver.  Some are even 120 volt, so you wouldn't meed an adapter.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/  

Ken
Radixb
Radixb

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:00pm

Yeah, I agree that its more of an experiment in misuse and abuse than a long term solution.  I am running it at 5V even though it is a 6V (4XAA) driver.  Being a DC motor, that might cause it to run a little cooler, i.e last longer.   The stir mechanism puts almost no load on it, especially considering it's intended use.  It has now survived 2 roasts, and I will probably be roasting at least twice a week, so we'll have to see how long it will go!  Hopefully it will give me enough time to locate a windshield wiper motor on the cheap.  I had also considered using a variable speed power drill, but 1) it also is not designed for constant use, although it could do much better than the screwdriver with better brushes and cooling. 2) It is more difficult to mount and getting it turning at 60 rpm is difficult as it is at the bottom end of the RPM range.

Windshield wiper motors are probably the best fit:  designed to run for hours at a time, and at different voltages, and the RPM range is right too.

I'll have to check out Burdens, thanks for the tip!

-Reuben
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:21pm

Radixb Said:

Yeah, I agree that its more of an experiment in misuse and abuse than a long term solution.

Posted February 5, 2013 link

Funny... that's what I thought about my marriage when it began... in 1971.
I'll give it another 40 years or so and report back...  {:-O

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 6:26am

LOL! {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 7:45am

I like the variable speed control gearhead motors by Oriental Motors. They are expensive retail/new but sets can be very commonly found like new or new old stock on ebay for cheap (approx. $35.- $100. set). They offer different wattage sizes and different gearhead ratios. I have some extras but just moved and they are still buried in my storage unit.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
Radixb
Radixb

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 8:17pm

Thanks for all the advice (and good humor)!  I just ordered a couple of Brevel 95 RPM 36 VDC gearmotors from Surplus Center (Burdens)  Their customer service says that the motors will run on 6-36 VDC, so just about any spare adapter I have laying around that has a decent current rating should suffice.  The 5/16" gear shaft will be easy to adapt to mate with my pan drive, which is a 5/16" SS Allen bolt that takes a 1/4 allen hex.  Now I need to look up some schematics for PWMs.... although 95 RPM might be about perfect.  I'm guessing that 12-15 VDC should spin it a bit slower.

Ed, since you weighed in here, I wanted to ask you about your chaff collector - I cut a 1/8"X 3/4" "S" slot for chaff collection, but haven't seen a mass exodus of chaff through the slot.  Perhaps the Dreamroast's higher spin rates are what help push the chaff out?  I get about 1/4 of the chaff out of the pan, and rest stays in.  It really isn't a big issue as my cooler deals with the rest.  With my shallower depth (3 in), the higher spin rate of the breadmachine was bouncing beans so violently that they were getting stuck up in the GG heat shield.

-Reuben
farmroast
farmroast

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:11am

Radixb Said:

Perhaps the Dreamroast's higher spin rates are what help push the chaff out?

Posted February 7, 2013 link

you're right.

I started with a thin super cheapo ss stock pot from Dollar General and cut it down to the right height for the bean whirling action, then fashioned a new lip for the GG to sit on.  I assumed the bottom of the pot needed to be square to control the bean action. Never tried anything curved or slanted.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New drive for CO...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325268983841)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+