Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Looking to build my first coffee roaster; found this mesh drum lying around
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Looking to build...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MiniMalady

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:42pm
Subject: Looking to build my first coffee roaster; found this mesh drum lying around

Hey guys, I'm new to coffee roasting and want to get started with a roaster of my own creation. I was thinking of trying a heat gun / dog bowl or bread mixer setup, but then I found this large mesh drum in my cabinet. I'm not really sure what it was designed to do, but it looks like it would make an excellent drum for coffee roasting. I also found a turbine blower that's more or less a leaf blower motor to use for cooling.

I think it was made to sustain some pretty high temps, as it's obviously cookware of some sort. I put it over a flame for a while to see if any smoke, melting, or strange smells occurred. I didn't see any evidence that there was a coating or anything fuming, but is there something else I should do to ensure that it will sustain the kind of heat involved with coffee roasting?

Also, I'm wondering what my approach should be now. Could I still use a heat gun and just mount the drum somewhere and apply the heat as I rotate it? Should I consider using it over a grill? Space heater contraption? What would you guys do? Is there any way to tell what sort of capacity I'm looking at once I figure out the roast method?

If nothing else, I'll definitely use this in conjunction with my turbine-blower as a cooling chamber. I just thought it would be neat to roast with this drum, then simply pull the drum from the heat source and spin it over my turbine to cool.

Here are the pics (sorry for the photobucket link, the pictures were too large too attach, and I haven't figured out how to resize them on Macs)
Click Here (s1325.beta.photobucket.com)

First pic is of the turbine blower; second is the inside of the drum; third is the drum from the outside with a guitar neck for size reference.

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance for any help

EDIT: The dimensions of the mesh drum are 14" in length by about 6.5" diameter.
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 9:23am
Subject: Re: Looking to build my first coffee roaster; found this mesh drum lying around

The drum looks to be from a toaster oven. It will might hold up to one pound of green coffee, but one-half pound might mix better.
However, it will probably need stirring paddles installed on the inside before it can be tried with coffee...
MiniMalady

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:00pm
Subject: Re: Looking to build my first coffee roaster; found this mesh drum lying around

Okay, I don't think installing stir paddles would be much of a challenge. So the one existing paddle wouldn't be enough agitation? Should I be trying to rig it up with a grill or space heater, or would a heat gun be able to achieve high enough temps even with the open mesh drum?

Also, on a semi-unrelated note, I just found a poplite gourmet for 5 bucks at goodwill and modded it to increase air flow/lower temps since I heard it runs hot. I'm probably gonna use a power strip with an on/off switch so I can cycle it on and off quickly to cool it down a bit if it's still too hot. So I'll have plenty of time to get familiar with roasting in general on the popper while I work on the mesh drum roaster.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:46pm

Looks like one of those drums they were using in those Rotoroasters that were popular on eBay a few years ago.  If so it was designed for peanut roasting.  If the holes are small enough I can't see where it would be bad for coffee roasting.  Its a small drum so I don't think there is an issue with just the one fin.  If I were you I would figure a way to attach it to a rotisserie rod and your grill.  You may find some connection couplers on www.mcmaster.com , use search term:  couplers

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Looking to build...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225480079651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+