Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
First Roaster Advice
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > First Roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tonini

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: HG One
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:17am
Subject: First Roaster Advice

I officially have had my espresso machine and grinder for a short while now. I do not regret this purchase by any means but roasting is catching my interest. I understand you can roast coffee with certain hot air popcorn poppers. I have not been able to find this poppers near me and when I go to purchase online from the United States the shipping is just too much to want to do so. I have looked at different roasters online like the Behmor 1600, Fresh Roast RS 500 I think it's called and Nesco. Which is my best option for starting out? I just would love to make an informed purchase. I don't quite understand everything about roasters. I try to read about them everyday but I just don't quite feel like I understand enough about them to decide which is the best route. Thanks for your help everyone, I love this forum. Prior to really wanting to get in to espresso, I have joined a variety of forums for cars. Not one forum was near as enjoyable as this forum or helpful. The coffee community is incredible!
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:56am
Subject: Re: First Roaster Advice

A great start would be a new or used Behmor 1600. Used you can find around the $200 range.  I have done a ton of research on all of the home roasters out there because I was in the same boat as you a while ago.  Here are the top 3 roasters overall IMO.  The Behmor is cheap, can roast 1/4 (popper amount) - 1lb and its press and play roasting.  It also forces you to learn how to roast by sight and smell.  It's also so affordable.  The Hottop and Quest M3 are amazing from what I read but they are a lot more expensive and for more advanced users.  

My advice is start with the Behmor 1600. I promise you won't regret it.  

Behmor 1600 $200-$350 1/4-1lb roasts

Hottop Roaster $900-$1,000 1/2 lb roasts

Quest M3 $1,300-$1,500 1/4-1lb roasts I think?
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tonini

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: HG One
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 2:29pm

Thanks for your help. I shall try to track a used Behmor. New ones where I live in Canada are around $379.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 7:54am

I live in Canada also.  Keep your eye on the Buy/Sell forum here. I found mine for $200 here. :) $379 tho for a 1lb roaster is a great deal.

For $380 incl shipping via UPS you can get one from Sweetmarias. It's a starter kit that comes with 8lb of free green coffee.
Click Here
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:20pm

Behmor home coffee roaster is simple and easy to use. For a beginner like you, it is ideal to have it. You can roast your own coffee once a week for the family, office, or for your gift to your friends. It is affordable up to $299 which is half the cost of other coffee roaster in the market. But be sure you live in 120volts country because the adaptor won’t work.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Larryh86GT

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: 63RPM 5lb BBQ drum
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:02am

My first roaster was a SS bowl with a heatgun on the grill - just too much work and the quality was lacking.
Next up was a Nesco roaster - the roast amount was too small to my liking.
I finally went to a 5 lb drum roaster - just right!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > First Roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235795021057)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+