Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Affordable Home Roaster/DIY Home roaster build
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Affordable Home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
flathead1

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni pro, 67...
Grinder: Macap M4, Lelit 53, Solis...
Drip: Bodium Press
Roaster: I-Roast1, Behmor, RK Drum
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 9:54am
Subject: Re: Affordable Home Roaster/DIY Home roaster build

I really think you are getting into the Propane grill and drum roaster range. I have a 4lbs RKDrum and a cheap CharBroil grill I modified for the drum. All told I spent about $600 on it and about $75 on the cooler (Box fan mounted horizontal blowing up through a tight mesh screen mounted on a 2x4 frame). Figure you're gong to have purchase bags, scales, labeling and storage stuff so that will use up your $1000 budget.

I can crank out 3Lbs roasts all day with no stopping for cool down. Also on the RK site you can read/contact others who are using their BBQDrums as an intermediate step from a 1lb max home roaster to a 10-30lb Pro drum.

I have no financial interest in RKDrums, they just happen to be who I got my rig from, Coffee Roaster Club is also highly recommended.
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:59am

on the 2 behmors (pushing it) but with the 2min pre heat prob 4/6lb hr depending on degree of roast . you will have to dry burn and clean after several runs though. here is a old post with built to order roasters for 975.00 hand cranked unless you add a motor. I have seen a youtube of it working and a few post on it.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)
markvand1096
markvand1096

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 4:49pm

I was on the same budget and in the same situation as you.  I found a metal fabricator to make me a 7'' x 20" stainless drum ($280) and I bought a new bbq that fit the drum perfectly ($450).  I used an old lathe motor that I got for free from my dad, and with a bit of effort, I was turning out amazing 4 to 5 pound roasts.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:36pm

kboom1 Said:

another pic, I direct wired a 20a breaker with a 15a receptical for my beamers. using a killawatt meter  neither roaster drops below 119v.

Posted February 22, 2013 link

Do you roast for your own business?  How much coffee do you roast on a given day?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 10:04am

lol no I just drink alot of coffee and I do give some away(and exept donations). I like to try alot of different varitals in a given month. when I find a few I really like I'll stock 20lb or so of it, mostly nats and dps because they store well.  I like 3rd wave espresso and can run alot for S.O. espressos. I like I can go back over my bean stock over a 2yr span or so and make a outstanding blend so I experement alot. after a 2 week span(my scale for past prime coffee) I'll give the rest of the roast away to friends or family to use for drip or presspot since they have a longer window. I'll also roast for people apon request  and have donation cans set up by my espresso machines wich fund my bean stock and machine repair ect. for myself I roast 4-6lb a week in 1-2 sessions, takes a hr or 2 depending on clean up,bagging ,restocking and such. never really kept track of what I roast for others in a week, but I do watch my bean stock closely. (I'm considered by alot of people to be a close friend of theirs but I know they just drop by for the coffee).........Just joking
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 10:31am

Burner0000 Said:

+1 HRO.org is the place to go if you are looking to build a home roaster. oldgearhead's roaster is awesome! :)

I can roast in the Behmor back to back (1lb roasts) If I allow 15min+ for the machine to cool. I would also have to do a dry burn to clean every 5 roasts.  That sounds like a good business importunity.  If you don't end up building I would consider leasing or financing a commercial roaster or looking into an RK bbq set up if you have the place for it to set up. HRO.org has info on that too.

Posted February 21, 2013 link

3 Behmor 1600's woud get you a net of about 2.5 #'s per 20 minutes (allowing for water weight evaporation)...of course, you'd have to have enough electrical current and protection to use all 3 concurrently.
Cost...$900. Allow a 20 minute cool-down for the roasters before starting again. basically, you could net 15 pounds in less than 7 hours.
I also like the gas grill (I'd use natural, not propane...don't want to run out of fuel in the middle of a 3# roast.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Affordable Home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307388067245)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+