Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Looking into getting into roasting...
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Looking into...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
psiber500

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 8:52pm
Subject: Looking into getting into roasting...

I received a Delonghi EC155 last Christmas and recently bought a Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder when it went on sale. I also picked up an extra portafilter to mod and a Krups #0907163 Espresso Maker Filter Cup (2 Cup) basket. I'm wondering if I should pick up a hot air popper or save for a Behmor 1600?
 View Profile Link to this post
MikeSD

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop 8 Cup
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Homemade SC/CO
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 5:26am
Subject: Re: Looking into getting into roasting...

I would recommend a popper to begin. If you're like most people you won't be good at roasting immediately. A popper is a cheap way to get the basics down, and since the batches are small you won't be ruining large batches of coffee.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:23am

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Honestly I would go with the popper and save for a better grinder first. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here but without a good grinder it won't matter much what your beans taste like.
I don't want to discourage you -hate to do that to anyone- just trying to steer you in the right direction. Enjoy the journey!
psiber500

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:43am

Thanks CoffeeRon! What would be a good step up from the Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:01am

The Infinity is fine for your machine and other cheaper ones since they use pressurized portafilters. But if you mod the basket to be non-pressurized, or more then likely upgrade to a better machine, your going to want a grinder that can grind correctly for espresso, Baratza Preciso is the best starter at around $300 (or less if you find a used one or refurb listed on their site, they update the site every thursday) and then grinder prices can go way up from that point. Had the Infinity as well, not capable for espresso grinding, great for coarse needs though.

I have a Bar32 around, same thing internally as the EC155, good basic starter machine, but once you get the bug you'll upgrade. I modded mine, depressurized baskets etc... still no comparison to my setup now, but even the low end ones with fresh beans can blow away anything you'll get at Starbucks etc.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 3:00pm

The Preciso by Baratza is considered by many to be the go-to first grinder for espresso. I'm a Baratza fan myself and may add a Vario to my collection not to far down the road. That said there are some people who have had some problems with the Preciso so it depends who you talk to whether that is the best first step. If you're going for espresso only there are other grinders in that price range that have happy owners. Since you have a grinder that is suitable for other coffee making methods you might consider going a different route. There really is no "right answer". I would spend some time in the grinder forum - do some searches- or just go back a few pages reading. You'll be suprised how many "which grinder should I start with" threads you will find. And you will see a few grinders that keep popping up that you may want to check out. Happy hunting!
TOTHETUNE

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:21pm

You may consider a heat gun/bread machine setup. I've been using this arrangement successfully for the past 5 years. I picked up a digisense thermocouple on ebay to monitor bean temperature.  You wind up having a lot of control over the roast and the beans come out uniform like they came off an assembly line.  Roasts up to 1 lb at a time. You'll need some minimal tinkering skills to get started.
feistygoatcoffee
feistygoatcoffee
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 3:47pm

As a long-time user of the Behmor 1600, I can't really do enough to recommend this machine to people. It's a catch 22 whether or not to upgrade grinder or roaster first, but since you seem interested in espresso then the grinder should absolutely be the first upgrade.

Grinder first: taste more honestly what you've accomplished with your roasting
Roaster first: higher potential for more testable coffee. But hey, I've been kicking around with the capresso as well (although I have recently acquired a Porlex hand grinder for my aero/v60 game).

Good responses in this thread already so I don't need to toss my two cents around too heavily :3
psiber500

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 9:29am

Awesome advice guys! I'll save up for the grinder first.
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:21am

Kind of a little late to the party but I'd agree with those who beat me to the punch. Getting a roaster would be nice, but I've learned a lot by using a popcorn popper to roast. I've only been at it for about a month but I've already noticed a drastic improvement in the quality and uniformity of my roasts. The first few times I just stood and stared down the barrel of the popper watching the coffee slowly roast. I still haven't got over the joy of the whole process, though the smell was a but surprising.

I will say one thing, don't expect your first roast to be perfect. It probably won't (mine was horrid) but you'll get better from batch to batch. Even now I don't think I'd be able to go back to having someone else roast my coffee.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Looking into...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271720170975)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+