Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Ethiopia Harrar from Happymugcoffee.com
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Ethiopia Harrar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
LarsErik

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 2:58am
Subject: Ethiopia Harrar from Happymugcoffee.com

Hello.  I recently bought the Ethiopia Harrar from happymugcoffee.com and I've roasted 2 batches so far. roasted to about 1min after FC. It has rested 3 days now and the beans have almost non-existent aroma. So far I haven't grind them, I think I will wait a couple of more days.

I wonder if anyone else bought the Harrar from happymugcoffee? and if you have any recommendation profile with the Behmor.
Is the coffee any good at all?
On the description on their site it stood that this Harrar should taste very blueberry but I cant seem to smell anything at all.

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:27am
Subject: Re: Ethiopia Harrar from Happymugcoffee.com

LarsErik Said:

Hello.  I recently bought the Ethiopia Harrar from happymugcoffee.com and I've roasted 2 batches so far. roasted to about 1min after FC. It has rested 3 days now and the beans have almost non-existent aroma. So far I haven't grind them, I think I will wait a couple of more days.

I wonder if anyone else bought the Harrar from happymugcoffee? and if you have any recommendation profile with the Behmor.
On the description on their site it stood that this Harrar should taste very blueberry but I cant seem to smell anything at all.

Thanks in advance.

Posted February 24, 2013 link

Lars, just curious. In what appliance did you roast your beans?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LarsErik

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:56am

I roasted with a Behmor , on P1 and then I opened the door to slow down FC as I usually do.
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:50am

tried some they had last year,but the aroma and taste profile wasnt remarkable enough to remember for that long. If roasting with a behmor try a p3 slower power ramp. you might have baked instead of roasted. just a thought. I find a quicker roast done with p1 for africans will produce a sweeter cup with muted tart fruit taste ,try to cool softer beans quicker after using p1. you will notice quite a difference in the sweetness. p3 will produce a more tart fruit forward taste and a slight muted sweetness. some harr might not produce a blueberry aroma but you will find it in the flavor profile.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:16am

also if it's Queen City Harrar from HM you might find more of a blackberry flavor than a blueberry taste profile. That was the one note I did make going back thru my logs, but as lots change so will the taste profile. maybe this year has more blueberry.
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 1:47pm

The Harrar that Happy Mug was offering was from the 2011 crop so I am guessing it has lost some of the nuances it once had. I had some when it was fresh and it was nice as kboom mentioned it had a nice blackberry flavor. See the link below...

Click Here (www.happymugcoffee.com)
LarsErik

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 3:09pm

It was the Harrar Natural FTO 2012 crop I ordered. I will let rest for a few more days and give it a try again.
Just roasted a batch with P3 profile, hope it will be better. If it is the roasting it depends on and not the bean.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 3:59pm

I have found with some of the varitals I ordered a year ago from HM (going to work thru some more next month that I stored) that I didnt care for back then, have a much more preferable taste profile to them now. mostly naturals wich I think store better at longer time frames. some beans are alot better after they loose some of the the new crop taste. I think you will find you pick up a more fruit forward profile on p3
LarsErik

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:48pm

Here's the link to the one I ordered
Click Here (www.happymugcoffee.com)
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 5:19am

LarsErik Said:

Thanks in advance.

Posted February 24, 2013 link

one min past fc? did you go into 2c try p3 and take it a little lighter. description says a generic harrar so dont expect too much of a clean flavor profile.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Ethiopia Harrar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293787956238)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+