Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
is home roasting worth it?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > is home roasting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Smclaughlin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nuova simonelli...
Roaster: Naviera coffee mills tampa...
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 5:44pm
Subject: is home roasting worth it?

I have been moving up the ranks on coffee knowledge and was wondering if any body has any suggestions  is home roasting an overall advantage in regards to $ savings ,time, quality is it worth the hassle....any advice is appreciated      ...... thanx
 View Profile Link to this post
Owl

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 8:08pm
Subject: Re: is home roasting worth it?

You should read through some of the threads here. Home roasting is absolutely worth the investment. You'll never have a better cup of espresso or coffee than the one you've sweated over in your own kitchen.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:42pm

+1; but I'm only a couple months in. If you've the time and interest it's quite enchanting.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 6:03am

I doubt if you will save much money.
1) The high grown beans I'm using this month cost 5.50 USD/pound, delivered.
2) Roasting will shrink the original 456 grams of greens to 375 grams of 'first-crack' coffee.
3) The 375 grams of coffee will mix with 260 ounces of water to make about 212 ounces of drip coffee. (some stays in the grounds)
4) That's around 26 cups of drip coffee for 21 cents each.

I built my own one-pound, heat-reclaiming, fluid-bed, roaster for a material cost of 520 USD plus several hours of labor.
It takes me 15 minutes to roast and cool one pound of green coffee plus an additional 5 minutes for bean inspection and jar filling.

The end product is well worth the effort.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 6:23am

I find it an interesting and rewarding hobby, but it's not for everyone.  It takes some practice to produce decent results, and it takes somedevotion if you want to make anything comparable to the artisan pro roasters out there.  

But after some time and some practice, it certainly is possible to produce great results at about 1/2 the cost per pound (when compared to the artisan specialty roasts).  I spend 1.5 to 2 hours per week, usually on Saturday morning, roasting 4 to 6 pounds using my US Roaster Co. sample drum roaster (1 pound batches).  

And there's lots of online support from users' forums and of course at SweetMarias and the coop and buying club, and it can be plenty of fun to play around with different types of coffee at different roasts levels, and also blending for drip and espresso.  Plus I like being able to keep a "stash" of many different types of coffee since green coffee is good for about a year.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 5:32pm

I think one is likely to save a little money. It all depends on variables like how much coffee you consume, price of beans you use, etc. but if you consume the same amount of coffee and use the same quality of beans I think you easily would save several dollar or more per lb.

Regarding the "is it worth it" question: I think if you care about the difference between high quality beans and don't mind having to keep on top of the roasting it's worth it (especially if you don't want to order fresh roasted beans for about $15/lb.

It's not high effort but it does take some effort. I have a Behmor and love the convenience and abiltiy to roast up to 14-16 oz at a time.

So, it all depends on what you want and what matters to you. My wife likes my coffee a lot, but to her it certainly wouldn't be worth it if she were the one who had to do the roasting. For me, it's a fun hobby.
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:15pm

Be sure and check out Sweet Maria's sampler:  http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee/samplers/green-coffee-sampler.html?source=side

You can get 8 different kinds of coffee for $5/lb.  A neat way to experiment with a lot of different varieties.

Note that some people feel this is the absolute wrong thing to do, and that you would be better off getting 40 lbs of 1 type of coffee and trying to roast it consistently.  But I find the variety has an appealing randomness.
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 8:35am

Whether or not roasting your own coffee is worth it is a purely personal decision.  There are a number of factors that contribute on an ongoing basis to my decision to roast.  I enjoy being able to keep 8 kinds of coffee in the house without worrying about it going stale... I roast small batches in a hot-air popcorn popper which takes about 15 minutes start to finish to end up with about 5 double-shots or single-serve french presses of product.  I could scale it up and in fact always seem to be considering a roaster, but for now the popcorn popper works well and my investment to date in equipment is $0.  I live in a smallish city with limited options for good coffee, roasted or otherwise, so I very much enjoy the quality of my home-roasted product.  Right now I'm enjoying a Kenya Nyeri AB Gatomboya from Sweet Maria's, roasted to Full City (last night!) and I've gotta' say, it is delicious.  One thing that got me started roasting was having a great cappucino at Caffé Artegiano in Vancouver (BC) a few months back.  They had beans for sale, and although I kind of choked at the $23 price, I bought a pound (or 400g, or whatever they were selling).  First thing I noticed when I got home was that the beans had been roasted 3 weeks previously so that by the time I finished them they were more than a month old, which got me to thinking... for $5 a pound I could buy Sweet Maria's beans, roast them myself.  I save some $$, have reliably awesome coffee beans, and also I enjoy tinkering with the roast to find the perfect brew.  Win-win-win.  YMMV
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 1:54pm

A consideration for me is that green beans keep (much) longer than roasted.  I can keep a variety of different greens around and roast whatever appeals to us at the moment.  If we get tired of (say) an Ethiopian dry process, I can open up a bag of Central American, or Sumatra, or whatever, and roast that.  We don't go through all that much coffee compared to some folks, and if I were to attempt the same thing pro-roasted, some of it would go stale before we could use it.

You'll probably save a few dollars per pound.  If you put $900 into a Hottop it will take a long time to recoup the investment, if ever, but you'll be in control.  Of course you don't have to spend $900 on a roaster!  My sr500 roasts are not consistently as good as the very best artisan roasters, but they beat the pants off anything I can find on a grocery shelf.  Plus, I enjoy it.
Kaffeeliebhaber
Kaffeeliebhaber

Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Technivorm KBT 741
Roaster: skillet
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:10pm

There's various reasons to roast.  I love the idea of having fresh beans anytime I want.  It's best to start small in terms of the amount of money invested until you know for sure you like doing it.  You can start with an industrial heat gun and colander...or purchase west end poppery.  I didn't find it completely necessary to splurge for a several hundred dollar roaster until I learned the basics with a poppery.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > is home roasting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315711975098)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+