Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Home Roasted Beans - Something is Wrong
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Roasted...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Maddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Prefer Moka Pot
Roaster: Toaster Oven Drum
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 5:23pm
Subject: Home Roasted Beans - Something is Wrong

I'm new to home espresso making. I have a Rancilio Silvia and a Baratza Precisio grinder. I started out using fresh roasted beans from a local micro roaster. I pulled good shots very quickly largely because I had done a lot of "how to" research before purchasing my machine.

The first time I tried roasting I used a fry pan. Burned the first batch to a crisp, but the 2nd batch made the best espresso shots I have ever had. Hondouras beans. I was hooked on roasting my own right away.

Recently, I purchased a rotisserie drum off the net, and roasted beans in my convection toaster oven. The beans look better than anything I have roasted in the fry pan. But, even with the grinder on the finest setting, the puck is so dry no matter how hard I tamp, it just falls out of the portafilter when I tip the filter over. Also, the shots come out far too fast. They just gush out now, and I get a ton of very light weak fluffy foam that dissipates immediately.

Now all my shots go into the sink... What have I done wrong? I've roasted beans from light to dark using the drum, they are all the same. I also get a lot much larger dose into the portafilter now... But it's like the coffee doesn't pack down no matter how hard I tamp.

It's confusing. Anyone have any ideas?
 View Profile Link to this post
swines

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Andreja
Grinder: Cimbali Jr. ; Macap
Drip: Capresso MT-500; Melitta
Roaster: Diedrich HR-1
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:11pm
Subject: Re: Home Roasted Beans - Something is Wrong

Either the grind is not fine enough or you haven't tamped the coffee hard enough.   With a my Cimbali Jr grinder, I can get the grind fine enough that it will refuse to pass water through the coffee and stall the machine.  If you're tamping with 30 pounds of pressure, then the only other thing it can be is the grind is not fine enough.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:18pm

Maddie Said:

Recently, I purchased a rotisserie drum off the net, and roasted beans in my convection toaster oven. The beans look better than anything I have roasted in the fry pan. But, even with the grinder on the finest setting, the puck is so dry no matter how hard I tamp, it just falls out of the portafilter when I tip the filter over. Also, the shots come out far too fast. They just gush out now, and I get a ton of very light weak fluffy foam that dissipates immediately.

It's confusing. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted March 1, 2013 link

How long is the roast taking. Generally those toaster ovens either don't get hot enough, or the heat is uneven.
Just because a roast LOOKS good doesn't necessarily mean it IS good.

A convection oven can dry out what you cook in it. Using a convection top with a Stir crazy popper (called SC/TO method) I keep the heating element 5"s from the beans rotating.
Right now, the main thing is how long does roasting say 150-200 grams take?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Maddie

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:43pm

I've experimented with so many batches now...I'm not sure how long.  It's a small drum, only holds 1 cup. When I tried 1/2 cup it went much faster but I over-roasted. Tried more and then the beans took much longer. I think the last 1 cup batch was over 20 minutes.

Being in Calgary the air is very dry here. So I think you might be right about the rotisserie convection oven drying it out too much.

I think I'll go back to the micro-roaster until I can afford a Behmor. I'm in a small condo so I don't have the room to experiment with heat guns and whatnot. Pan roasting just doesn't roast enough for a week for me. I drink a lot of coffee.

How do you think roasting them in the regular oven would work? On a cookie sheet?
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 11:05pm

You might try a whirly-pop as an inexpensive way to get going. Sweet Maria's has a bit of info on roasting with one, and sells them as well. They say you can roast up to 8 oz. at a time.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 1:03am

Maddie Said:

I've experimented with so many batches now...I'm not sure how long.  It's a small drum, only holds 1 cup. When I tried 1/2 cup it went much faster but I over-roasted. Tried more and then the beans took much longer. I think the last 1 cup batch was over 20 minutes.

Being in Calgary the air is very dry here. So I think you might be right about the rotisserie convection oven drying it out too much.

I think I'll go back to the micro-roaster until I can afford a Behmor. I'm in a small condo so I don't have the room to experiment with heat guns and whatnot. Pan roasting just doesn't roast enough for a week for me. I drink a lot of coffee.

How do you think roasting them in the regular oven would work? On a cookie sheet?

Posted March 1, 2013 link

20 minutes for a cup of beans (8oz by weight) is much to long. You're baking the beans.
For 4oz's, you could look into a popcorn popper, like a Poppery 2. Cost, $4 in a Goodwill store.
There are tons of threads on how to roast with it, mod it.

A Behmor is a good choice, but I'm biased as I own 2. Over 400 roasts one one nearly that on another.
I can easily roast 14 oz per roast. Roasting time averages about15 minutes, if i'm going just to 2nd crack. Cooling another 7-8 minutes.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 6:13am

Humm, I thought a Behmor was a toaster oven. I think it works well because it has better control of the process.
However, the Behmor may have more power, also. What is the wattage of your toaster oven?
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 1:23pm

It would be helpful if some data were available. An inexpensive digital thermometer with a wire probe would be useful.
As stated, 20 minutes is far too long for a roast. 12 to 16 is more reasonable. With the thermometer you could roast the small batch and control the temperature by opening the door slightly for short periods. There are ways of modifying toaster ovens such as defeating or modifying the temperature sensors for the thermostat.

Do a search at http://www.homeroasters.org/

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Maddie

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:50pm

1500 Watts. When the rotisserie is on only the top elements heat, and the convection fan shuts off.
Maddie

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:51pm

Thanks to everyone who commented. I appreciate the help.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Roasted...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302316904068)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+