Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Questions about heat gun roasting
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Questions about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BrandonW
BrandonW
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 8:42pm
Subject: Questions about heat gun roasting

Hey all,

I want to first say thanks because this website has helped me gain a ton of knowledge on coffee and coffee roasting.  I just recently got into roasting my own coffee, and I'm hooked!  I got a heat gun and stainless steel bowl, and I started roasting my first few batches.  However, I have a couple of questions for those of you that are more experienced.  

I've read a lot about people being able to roast several cups at a time, but my first batch of roughly a half pound went for about 25 minutes before I gave up and never reached first crack. I think my heat setting was too low.  

I've had some success with smaller batches, but I still feel like I'm having trouble reaching first crack at close to 15 minutes.  I've read people try and be at first crack close to 6sh minutes and then being done closer to 10.  I think my main problem is my heat setting.  My beans look like they are getting to a good color, but they aren't cracking.  What do you guys recommend for heat settings?  My heat gun has a dial that allows me to adjust the temperature from as low as like 200sh to a max of 1000sh.  Do you guys start at a lower temp and then ramp up over time? My successful roasts have been on pretty much full blast until I hear a first and second crack.  However, the roasts are a little darker than I'd like.  

I'm definitely going to keep experimenting, but it'd be nice to have a few people chime in on their thoughts about heat settings and approximate times to shoot for.  Also, should I be able to do more than a half a cup at a time without it taking 20+ minutes? Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance for the advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 8:21am
Subject: Re: Questions about heat gun roasting

1) ..and the ambient temperatures were?
2) Distance from gun to beans was?
3) Wattage of gun is?
BrandonW
BrandonW
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 1:09pm

oldgearhead Said:

1) ..and the ambient temperatures were?
2) Distance from gun to beans was?
3) Wattage of gun is?

Posted March 10, 2013 link

Hey, sorry for the lack of info.  The gun is a 1500 watt Porter-Cable, and I'd say I was probably holding the gun maybe 3-4 inches above them.  Is there a preferred distance between gun and beans?  Ambient temperature could be a problem since it's pretty cold in IL.  I think it was probably in the low to mid 20s when I was roasting.  I guess I was just wondering if it's better to roast at a consistent heat of the max the gun can go or try and stay at like 500sh and then go up after first crack? Just looking for general temps/strategies.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 7:56am

Brandon - HomeRoasters dot org has a section on dog bowl/heat gun roasting.
You might want to try it:
Click Here (www.homeroasters.org)
MGLloyd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 7:20am

http://www.homeroaster.com/heatgun.html

I wrote this several years ago; you might find some useful information here.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Questions about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280344009399)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+