Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Static electricity and post-roast resting
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Static...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rsnidjik
rsnidjik
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PID'd Silvia 230v, 110°...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: nope
Roaster: West Bend Poppery 1500W; am...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 7:07am
Subject: Static electricity and post-roast resting

My grinder's plastic coffee receptacle (where the coffee goes after grinding) has wonderful anti-static qualities. The ground coffee slides out of the container with little or no adherence to the plastic sides of the receptacle, regardless of weather conditions.

This morning, though, I ground my first batch of self-roasted beans (used a West Bend Poppery, stopped 30 seconds after start of 2nd crack). When I tried to pour the ground coffee from the grinder receptacle, about 20 percent of it stuck to the plastic sides.

I had waited two days after roasting.

My question: does the fact that the ground coffee was much more subject to static electricity than usual mean that I didn't wait long enough after roasting, or maybe that I under-roasted?

I have a Baratza Vario. If you've used one of these, you know what I mean about the static-free coffee receptacle. (I don't use the optional single-cup attachment.)

The coffee tastes very good, which is really the only thing I should be concerned about, I suppose. Still, I'm trying to understand this new phenomenon.

Thank you.
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:09am
Subject: .

steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 1:42pm
Subject: Re: Static electricity and post-roast resting

I have notice that when I use my drum roaster or get some drum roasted beans I do not get the static. When I get fluid bed roasting beans, I do have a static problem.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 6:34am

Humm..some complicated answers to an easily solved problem.
I still use my Grandmother's solution: dip two fingers under a running stream of water, shake a few drops onto the beans, shake them up, and drop them into the grinder. I always weigh my beans before grinding so I use the cup they were weighed in to add the drops of water. If that doesn't do it for you, try three fingers..

oldgearhead: DSC_8322.jpg
(Click for larger image)
rsnidjik
rsnidjik

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 12:14pm

Thank you *very* much, Netphilosopher, steamer and oldgearhead (your names correspond well with the nature of your replies, by the way!).

I'm glad to hear that my "problem" isn't unusual, nor is it necessarily a problem. And, if it is a problem, it's easily solved.

Interestingly, later grinding sessions from the same batch of beans are producing little or no static. So ... well, I just don't know, but it sounds like if this is my biggest problem, I'm doing pretty well.
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 5:18am

rsnidjik
rsnidjik

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 7:31am

Netphilosopher Said:

So, is your relative humidity changing?

Posted March 18, 2013 link

No significant change over the period in question.

Netphilosopher Said:

Or do you store at room temperature?  That's a potential source for moisture absorption...

Posted March 18, 2013 link

Yes, I do. I'm roasting in small batches and consuming it quickly. I thought it would be fine to store it at room temp.

My stash of green beans is also at room temperature.

Is either of these practices a problem?

Thanks.
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 7:12pm

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Static...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278162002563)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+