Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Kopi luwak . . . is it worth it??
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Kopi luwak . . ....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Geron
Geron
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: AeroPress/Melitta Cone
Roaster: Behmor/i Roast 2
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 4:32pm
Subject: Kopi luwak . . . is it worth it??

I'm not referring to the cost. I received a pound of kopi luwak as a gift.

BUT. . .

It appears after drying (in a dehydrator) I'm going to have to break the parchment off the bean one at a time. I've tried rolling with a 2x4 and a rolling pin and the parchments just are not breaking off.

Furthermore, the beans are of a widely varying size. I can't see how one could achieve an even roast on these things.

Aren't these things more of a novelty than a serious bean for roasting????

Anyone had experience with these things?

g

The Village Idiot
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 4:43pm
Subject: Re: Kopi luwak . . . is it worth it??

You need to feed these to a cat to get the proper digestive enzyme effect. I have (or can find) cats for this purpose and process them for a small fee. Alternatively, I will process them inside my belly and gut and deliver "the goods" in your presence for airfare and a small handling charge - please note the Kopi Steamer option is, of course, extra...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Geron
Geron

Espresso: None
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: AeroPress/Melitta Cone
Roaster: Behmor/i Roast 2
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 5:10pm

EricBNC Said:

You need to feed these to a cat to get the proper digestive enzyme effect. I have (or can find) cats for this purpose and process them for a small fee. Alternatively, I will process them inside my belly and gut and deliver "the goods" in your presence for airfare and a small handling charge - please note the Kopi Steamer option is, of course, extra...

Posted March 26, 2013 link

Precisely the answer I was looking for. . . Butt NO!

The Village Idiot
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 4:15pm

Only the luwak knows...
tinyenormous

Espresso: gaggia coffee
Grinder: bodium bistro burr / Hario...
Drip: v60 / aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 9:54am

I thought that kopi luwak was any kind of coffee that had been fed to a civet. wikipedia I'm assuming that it was a bad set up for the joke afterwards when Eric said that you had to feed them to a cat. again.

I can only assume that it is such a niche / novelty thing that after feeding the beans to a civet, collecting the poop, drying it out, breaking it apart and sorting the beans out. Taking one more step to sort them by size pre-roast isn't that big of a deal compared to the effort already undertaken.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 12:37pm

tinyenormous Said:

I thought that kopi luwak was any kind of coffee that had been fed to a civet. wikipedia I'm assuming that it was a bad set up for the joke afterwards when Eric said that you had to feed them to a cat. again.

I can only assume that it is such a niche / novelty thing that after feeding the beans to a civet, collecting the poop, drying it out, breaking it apart and sorting the beans out. Taking one more step to sort them by size pre-roast isn't that big of a deal compared to the effort already undertaken.

Posted April 2, 2013 link

The issue here is that the luwak coffee has become perverted in that we humans now force feed unripe coffee cherries to the little critters soas to produce the luwak coffee.  In nature the civet would only eat the ripest cherries.  I imagine luwak actually from that natural method of cherrie consumption is far superior to the luwak "mechanically" produced.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jkoll42

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:27am

Geron Said:

Aren't these things more of a novelty than a serious bean for roasting????

Posted March 26, 2013 link

Yes

Anyone had experience with these things?

Yes.  The're really crappy.  Seriously.  Completely mediocre but at least after you try them and realize how bad they suck you can personally let others know like I'm doing now.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Kopi luwak . . ....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293107032776)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+