Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
First Roast
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > First Roast  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
lightbearer06

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 8:23pm
Subject: First Roast

Hey all, I am new to the forums but have been researching home roasting for a few weeks. I went out to my local Goodwill a few days ago and picked up a Popcorn Pumper ( the 1500 watt one, model 72000 I thik) for less than $3. I roasted my first batch tonight and used a soup can chimney. Unfortunately, the roast was very uneven and it seemed to roast very quickly, getting to first crack in about 3 minutes. So, I tried again with an extension cord as some have suggested but this did not seem to make much of a difference.

Does anyone have other suggestions? I smelled some good smells and want to get closer to roasting perfection.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 1:13am
Subject: Re: First Roast

Welcome to CoffeeGeek! Excuse me for being ignorant, but what did you expect from using an extension cord?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:31am

I guess the extension cord was to reduce power to the popper.

First off, the amt of beans put in the popper influences the speed of roast. The more beans the faster it roasts.

If you put the beans in and turned on the machine and did not manually agitate the bean mass but waited for it to lose water weight and begin to spin about on its own, that could be the problem. I used a chop-stick, a wooden one and agitated the bean mass as soon as the power was on, making sure the bean mass was circulating until the beans were light enough to be circulating by the flow of the hot air.

Some folks mod their poppers and separate the heater from the blower and do control of the process by that, and some (like me) are terrified of hacking anything and use an extension cord and chop-stick.

Skylar
lightbearer06

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:53am

Skylar was right about the extension cord. The one I used was pretty short, and I don't think it made much of a difference.

I did use a wooden stick to agitate the beans, but I only stirred occasionally. Are you constantly stirring? I was afraid my stir stick would catch on fire if I had it in there constantly.

I think I will try it with fewer beans once I get my scale to get more exact measurements.
Skylar

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 7:02am

Stir constantly until the bean mass is light enough to spin on its own. Hold your stick with an oven mit and don't roast your fingers. The fingers will burn long before your chop-stick, in my experience. Actually I used the same chop-stick for a couble of years.

Skylar
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:27pm

Skylar Said:

First off, the amt of beans put in the popper influences the speed of roast. The more beans the faster it roasts.

Posted April 20, 2013 link

I'm not sure how trying to roast a larger quantity can speed up the roast time, since you've got more volume to heat up.  It should be no different than any change in volume of any material you're trying to heat.  You put a gallon of water on a stove, and it will take a lot longer to boil than a cup of water under the same conditions of heat input.  When I cut back the bean charge in my I-Roast if I'm only roasting half of a load, roasting time is less, not more.  

Lightbearer, how many ounces were you trying to roast?  1500 watts should be good to roast 8 ounces in about 8 or 9 minutes as long as the beans are being circulated by stirring; or by fan action if possible, if that machine can do it.  Also, if you do manual stirring, try to maintain heat in the roaster by limiting the amount of time the top of the roaster is open to lose heat.

I think I will try it with fewer beans once I get my scale to get more exact measurements.

A level half cup of green beans will average around 3 ounces.

Ken
Skylar

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:53pm

Should have made it clearer. In using a popper the smaller amt of beans are light enough for the blower to push the beans around and the hot air exits up the chimney. If you put a larger bean mass in and the beans are not agitated by the blower the heat is concentrated at the bottom, the beans in contact get the bejabbers roasted out of them and the beans on top of the mass get little heat. Do it long enough and the fire department may pay a visit. Not laughing out loud. It happens.

I know it aint logical but there you are.

Skylar
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 9:06pm

Guaranteed there Skylar, about the bottom beans on the road to carbon and flames, with too many and no agitation.  

Actually a similar thing occurs in the I-Roast if the fine mesh screen at the top gets plugged, which reduces circulation, or if too many beans are being roasted and there's a lot of chaff going up in the tiny chaff collector.  It doesn't actually make it to flames, but the roaster cuts off the heat and the fan at the same time with the overload before it happens.  Just a bit inconvenient when the roaster stops with a minute or two to get to 2C, and a critical stage like the cool cycle won't operate.

I noticed your roaster options listed a wok.  Is yours a thin metal one or a heavy cast iron one like the Lodge brand?  I did one batch recently just to experiment, about 6 ounces in a cast iron Lodge.  High heat with stirring for about 15-18 minutes to finish produced an OK roast, but I liked what comes out of my I Roast much better.  At least the chaff is much easier to deal with in the I Roast compared to just having it fly all around the wok and then all over the stove.  

Ken
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > First Roast  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267827033997)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+