Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
eBay Roaster-Does Anyone Know About it?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > eBay...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
Roastaman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac TEA
Grinder: Mazser Mini
Roaster: HWP/I-Roast
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 9:10pm
Subject: eBay Roaster-Does Anyone Know About it?

I came across this on eBay.  Does anyone know anything about it? It's a Baristas Choice 1000 100% Electric 1KG/2.2LB Mini Coffee Roaster, 110V-220V.
I couldn't find anything on a search. It looks interesting.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 9:14pm
Subject: Re: eBay Roaster-Does Anyone Know About it?

Wow, over 100 pounds of weight.  2000W.  20-25 minutes per roast.

Perhaps it is a new maker testing the waters here.

LMWDP # 010
 View Profile Link to this post
Roastaman

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 9:19pm

Boy, I don't know but if I was a gambling man I'd take a shot at one.  It looks nice.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 9:34am

Roastaman Said:

I came across this on eBay.  Does anyone know anything about it? It's a Baristas Choice 1000 100% Electric 1KG/2.2LB Mini Coffee Roaster, 110V-220V.
I couldn't find anything on a search. It looks interesting.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Posted January 8, 2013 link

Curious about this remark:  "BUILT-IN EXHAUST FILTER FOR ENCLOSED OPERATION"

Are they saying you can use it without venting to the outdoors for 2 pounds roasted beans?  Thats alot of smoke and carbon monoxide to take care of ...

It delivers (from the ebay listing) from California, but it is made in China.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:34pm

Ah the million dollar family room roaster, lol. IMO the price is to good to be true.

Wow, $155 for shipping, Diedrich sure ripped me off with all that crating, trucking, and insurance to get a puny 135lb roaster across the country to me.  a counter top may support this roaster but I have to tell you even at a puny 135lbs its awkward shape is not something you can pick up of the floor, get past your knees, and hoist onto a 36" tall counter top, I can't imagine what a cardboard box would look like after the delivery gorillas had their time with it.

Quality built 2-5lb drum roasters end up costing around $2-3k to build yourself so wonder where the material cost is saved in this roaster? 20-25 min roast times may be acceptable tasting or they may be horrid,My HotTop roast times I liked where 15-18min but anything roasted in the Diedrich over 16min is flat and boring with most of my roasts being done between 12-14min.

Around $2500 gets you a mini-500 1lb roaster from Taiwan that has a proven track record and is around for parts and question. A little South of $5k will get you a US made 1lb roaster from USRC but both of these are gas. The Toper Cafmino has a 2lb electric for around $5800 but I have not heard glowing reports from the electric version but it could very well have been approved upon since.

That built in exhaust filter is either a botched translation or a lie, I have a room scrubber that costs a 1/4 of this eBay roaster to take care of the smoke that escapes when dumping from the drum to the cooling tray and that is just a fraction of the overall smoke created during one roast.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 1:21pm

germantownrob Said:

Ah the million dollar family room roaster, lol. IMO the price is to good to be true.

Wow, $155 for shipping, Diedrich sure ripped me off with all that crating, trucking, and insurance to get a puny 135lb roaster across the country to me.  a counter top may support this roaster but I have to tell you even at a puny 135lbs its awkward shape is not something you can pick up of the floor, get past your knees, and hoist onto a 36" tall counter top, I can't imagine what a cardboard box would look like after the delivery gorillas had their time with it.

Quality built 2-5lb drum roasters end up costing around $2-3k to build yourself so wonder where the material cost is saved in this roaster? 20-25 min roast times may be acceptable tasting or they may be horrid,My HotTop roast times I liked where 15-18min but anything roasted in the Diedrich over 16min is flat and boring with most of my roasts being done between 12-14min.

Around $2500 gets you a mini-500 1lb roaster from Taiwan that has a proven track record and is around for parts and question. A little South of $5k will get you a US made 1lb roaster from USRC but both of these are gas. The Toper Cafmino has a 2lb electric for around $5800 but I have not heard glowing reports from the electric version but it could very well have been approved upon since.

That built in exhaust filter is either a botched translation or a lie, I have a room scrubber that costs a 1/4 of this eBay roaster to take care of the smoke that escapes when dumping from the drum to the cooling tray and that is just a fraction of the overall smoke created during one roast.

Posted January 9, 2013 link

I really cannot see even a catalytic converter action taking care of the smoke and carbon monoxide with a 2 pound roast for non outside vented operation.  Sounds deadly.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
Roastaman

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 4:37pm

I emailed the seller.

The roaster is commerically built. It is very robust and dependable. 100% electric and easy to use. I have used it and it works great! I am the sole importer for the roaster to US, and taking order for my next shipment. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for your interest. Coleman

I' am going to try and find out a bit more about it if I can.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:36am

Very nice looking roaster! But 25 minutes and 2KW sounds like the old electric nut roaster to me. Too long and not enough heat.
It takes 1.5K and 12 minutes for me to roast 500 grams.
Might be a nice one-pounder though.

oldgearhead: DSC_8379.jpg
(Click for larger image)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:24am

The newer Toper Cafemino 1kg roaster is 5.5kW. I assume it is an updated model since neither the gas nor the electric had control over the heat when I was shopping. I also believe the electric has more power, at least the roast times they list are half of what the roast times used to be listed.

New- http://cafemino.com/e-cafemino-elektrik.html

Older- Click Here (robustroasters.com)
ECM
ECM
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 2:19pm

I have made several inquiries about this roaster.  I believe the inventors name is Tim and he can be reached at the following contact:

Company: North Coffee Equipment Co.,Ltd
Manager: Mr Tim
Address: Jiangjiagou Industrial area Huashan Town Licheng district Jinan city Shandong Province
Tel: 86-18646366178
Email: info@northcoffee.net
Tim@northcoffee.net
Sales@northcoffee.net
www.northcoffee.net
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > eBay...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318273067474)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+