Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Made the Switch on Roaster
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Made the Switch...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bigjoedo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, Carezza &...
Grinder: Rocky, Maestro Plus,...
Drip: Black & Decker
Roaster: Hottop Digital & 2- FR8 +
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 11:46am
Subject: Made the Switch on Roaster

Hello,

Have had a HotTop Roaster for about 6 years, nice roaster great roasts. I paid $600, the issue I had was I paid for the roaster twice. By that I mean bought it the first time, over the years had to change the control panel, Main Circuit Board, Heating elements, motor twice, fan, Fusible link, ejection solenoid twice, Bearing plate + Temperature Sensor. Anyone else have similar experiences? The new Models, are $900 and up.

So I bought a Behmor 1600, for $300 have done 4 roasts and it works well. I usually Roast City or City+ no darker.

Any tips from other Behmor owners? Thanks

Bigjoedo
 View Profile Link to this post
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 3:36pm
Subject: Re: Made the Switch on Roaster

I did kind of the same thing, I bought a HT, never replaced a thing, I had it for a few years and the Behmor came out, so I sold the HT and bought the Behmor. In a years time I bought the HT again and have both now. The HT runs every sunday and the Behmor collects dust. I just like the beans out of the HT better.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 9:05pm

steamer Said:

I did kind of the same thing, I bought a HT, never replaced a thing, I had it for a few years and the Behmor came out, so I sold the HT and bought the Behmor. In a years time I bought the HT again and have both now. The HT runs every sunday and the Behmor collects dust. I just like the beans out of the HT better.

Posted April 24, 2013 link

Is that a tip, as the OP asked for, or what?

Anyway, a Kill-A-Watt is handy to use with the Behmor if your electrical grid is not stellar, like many of us have to deal with.  

Profile P2 is great once you have a good handle on when 1C starts for each type of bean or blend you roast.  You'll be getting some great roasts that way.

Also note that your roasts do not have to get to 2C to be great.  I've had good success with Full City roasts lately.

One more:  don't use an extension cord with the Behmor unless it is 12 gauge or less (I have an 8 gauge monster) and fairly short.

LMWDP # 010
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 7:08am

Also, many Behmor users do some door-opening during key parts of the roast (such as just before estimated 1C onset and during 1C or 2C) to stretch out these parts of the roast.
There are previous threads on this subject.

Good luck!
I've been very happy with the Behmor.
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 9:16am

Prof Said:

Also note that your roasts do not have to get to 2C to be great.  I've had good success with Full City roasts lately.

Posted April 24, 2013 link

Now that's a good tip ;))    

(try a nice Central American or Bolivian at FC - yum)
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 3:58pm

Try preheating your roaster and chaff tray for 2min. before inserting your loaded drum. I think it gives the roast a fuller taste and also cuts roasting time down a bit.

I will use the open door trick to stretch out the roast using only the p1 setting. I think opening the door during the other roast profiles gives to great a chance to stall the roast. I have successfuly stretched the time between 1c - 2c to about 3:30 min on p1 profile, open door about 1/4 open for a 5sec count right before 1c starts (for me 1c starts at 10 to 11 min. in for most varitals) after that 10 sec closed 5sec open. Depending on varital 2c will happen between 3 and 3:30.

while cooling your roast after 2 min to cool down electronics, open your door and put a small fan on your beans or pull your drum(if your comfortable doing it) to cool your beans faster. It will give your roast a sweeter taste.

Just a few tips for you to try. I run back to back Behmors and have had great results with these tips.
myallawala
myallawala

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 8:47pm

Swinging the door open at the end of the roast does tremendous things for my roasts in terms of aromas and development as the beans rest.. if I don't, the taste seems pretty flat and the aroma almost nonexistent. Of course, the darker the roast, the longer I wait before I swing it open. If I'm roasting Full City+ or more (french roast blend or italian espresso blended for dark), I will crack the door almost immediately cause the beans start getting crazy and progressively open it all the way. Yeah it makes a big mess, but I roast in the garage and bought a $15 shop vac for the roaster. Careful!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Made the Switch...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306715965271)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+