Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Espresso blending help please!
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Radixb
Radixb
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Kyocera CM-50, PeDe Dienes...
Vac Pot: Knapp Monarch, Sunbeam
Drip: Aeropress, Chemex, Melitta...
Roaster: SR300, GG/BreadMachine
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 3:08pm
Subject: Espresso blending help please!

Hi, I have been home roasting for Aeropress and French press coffee, but recently became the proud owner of a Gaggia Classic.  I've currently got about 25 lbs of green coffee, and wonder if I list what I've got, if any of the experienced espresso roasters/blenders could suggest a blend that uses some of the beans I already own?

Currently I have:

1 lb Mex Organic Terruno Nayarita
1/2 lb Costa Rican Fruita De Oro
10 lb El Salv. RFA Adelaide
5 lb Columbian Supremo

Decaf:
5 lb Costa Rican BCT Dota Select
1/2 lb Guatemala MC Decaf
2 lb Columbia MC Decaf
1/2 lb Mexico Royal Select

Any suggestions of other beans I need to order to blend with what I have on hand?

Thanks so much guys!

-Reuben
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 3:32pm
Subject: Re: Espresso blending help please!

Sweet Maria's has this info: http://www.sweetmarias.com/blending.php
I'm not an expert on blending but I believe you'll hear that the Central Americans are too bright to be the main component in an Espresso (except for Brazils).
You might want to get some Brazil beans but beyond that I defer to those who are more knowledgeable than me.
Sweet Maria's espresso blends, by the way, are excellent!
I also liked coffeeroasters.com espresso blends.
DavecUK

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 2:43am

You definitelty need some Brazilians as a base for some blends, a Sumatra would be useful as well.

Apart from that some of the coffees are best drunk as a single origin (SO), others can be blended, but it's a shame to blend them.. I have marked accordingly, with the best method first.

1 lb Mex Organic Terruno Nayarita (Blend, SO)
1/2 lb Costa Rican Fruita De Oro (SO or Blend)
10 lb El Salv. RFA Adelaide (SO or Blend)
5 lb Columbian Supremo (SO only)

Decaf:
5 lb Costa Rican BCT Dota Select (SO or Blend
1/2 lb Guatemala MC Decaf (SO, never blend)
2 lb Columbia MC Decaf (SO never blend)
1/2 lb Mexico Royal Select (Blend, SO)

Also just some food for thought on blending. It's often used to produce a consistent coffee taste for an outlet, supplier cafe etc..As coffee supplies and crops vary over the years. Blending allows them to maintain a constant flavour profile. It's a moot point whether it improves a coffee. It "might" in certain circumstances be beneficial e.g. like apple and cinnamon, or apple and blackberry, or might not work e.g. apple and peach. In the main, a really good single origin bean has enough flavour complexity to be enjoyed as a single origin. The blending from roasters often makes a cheaper beans acceptable in the cup.

It's not to say that blending is always wrong, it's not, but it's not the necessity many people believe it to be. As a home roaster, you have the luxury of doing what the bigger commercial boys cant..... roast each type of coffee completely separately, to exactly the right level and profile, then mix them. The large commercial roasters still put the whole blend in a drum and roast it....which severely limits blending possibilities and gives much of the blend a sub optimal roast profile. This of course is exactly what you can and should do with such small quantities of coffee. Roast them all correctly and separately and afterwards blend as you want to find out what works. if it doesn't, then at least you have not blended the whole batch!!
greenbeanmachine

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:16pm

I personally do a blend of three origins.

Brazil
Colombian
Sumatra
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 8:55am

2 parts  -  Brazil does make a good "base." From what I have read, Illy is the world's largest importer of Brazilian coffee.
1 Part - Blend with a Central of South American (Peru, Guat, Costa Rican, etc.)
1 part - And add an African or Indonesian (Ethiopian, Tanzanian, Yemen, etc.)

But that is just a starting point. I blend on the whim of the moment. It also depends on whether you drink it straight or with milk.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 10:43am

I would start by doing small batch roastings at City and FC+ of each coffee you have and learn what their characteristics are as SO espressos. Take copious notes. Think about what might be missing in one coffee that might be added by another to create a balanced (or leaning in a particular direction) taste profile. And, also, what might be out of balance in one coffee that could be balanced by the characteristics of a different coffee. Then, blend for the flavor profile you want.

I alway blend post-roast, myself, as that enables me to find the best roast level for each bean to bring out the elements they excel at.

Since coffee is food, and we want food to taste good, I think blending for specific flavor profiles is preferable to generic rules about x% this and x% that. Means that things will vary as the coffee harvests vary from season to season, but that's what food and agricultural products do. And it's the advantage of home-roasting—you get to roast for what you want to taste.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 11:19am

+1 on trying the coffee first as SOE and post-roast blending.  If you roast up several of your coffees, you can blend by the cup by weighing out different percentages for each shot (assuming that you single-dose your grinder) and take note of the blend components and percentages that you like.  I would limit this exercise to three or at most four different coffees in a blend.  Make sure to take notes or you may end up really liking a shot but not remembering how you go there.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Radixb
Radixb

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Kyocera CM-50, PeDe Dienes...
Vac Pot: Knapp Monarch, Sunbeam
Drip: Aeropress, Chemex, Melitta...
Roaster: SR300, GG/BreadMachine
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 8:17pm

Thanks for all the advice and direction!  I ordered a bit of BCT Espresso blend to get and idea of a flavor "baseline", and because it was less $/lb than the Brazilians.  (I've been spending a little more $$ on coffee stuff than I should lately - can anyone relate?)

Having been drinking SO espresso up til now, my initial impression is that the BCT has a much more pronounced body than the El Salvadore I just finished.  The SO is really nice when I get a good pull on the Gaggia and drink straight.  (Still learning how to do espresso well, and I suspect I will always be to some extent)
I roasted a batch of BCT Espresso about 30 sec into 2C.  The BCT is definitely better for milk-based drinks whereas the SO seemed to get a bit lost.  I had been trying to cram 18 g in the basket to get enough espresso to cut through in a 12 oz cup, but the BCT makes more of a statement so to speak...

So is the Brazil or possible a Sumatra that brings that stronger "COFFEE" vs "coffee" flavor?  Or is it the Robusto that does that?

Also, someone here or on the HB forum was saying that they did an espresso blend that was 75% MM Gold and 25% Sumatra.  Seems quite unique, and I'm wondering what I might expect when incorporating MM into a blend.  It seems like most people use MM as an enhancer rather than a base.  I am wondering because along with the BCT Espresso, I got some MM.

Thanks again!

-Reuben
DavecUK

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 2:16am

Radixb Said:

So is the Brazil or possible a Sumatra that brings that stronger "COFFEE" vs "coffee" flavor?  Or is it the Robusto that does that?

Posted May 17, 2013 link

Robusta, is simply a cheap filler coffee, it also allows quite  old coffee to produce crema. I would absolutely avoid any blend with Robusta in it.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 2:39am

DavecUK Said:

Robusta, is simply a cheap filler coffee, it also allows quite  old coffee to produce crema. I would absolutely avoid any blend with Robusta in it.

Posted May 18, 2013 link

Even though it's true that stale Robusta can still produce a lot of crema, I wouldn't go so far as to generally disregard it as poor quality coffee. It's just a different variety than Arabica. Coffea canephora is less sensitive to disease, heat and humidity, and it yields higher crops, which is why it can be produced cheaper. However, there's a limited quantity of high quality fresh Robusta around, just like there's low quality stale Arabica. It all depends...

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305568218231)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+