Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Coffee Crafters Artisan V fluid bed Roaster
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Coffee Crafters...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DanCiccNYC

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 11:13am
Subject: Coffee Crafters Artisan V fluid bed Roaster

Hey guys. Check this out.
Click Here (coffeecrafters.com)
This is a "small" batch roaster I've been doing some research into. But cannot find and reputable feedback from. The thing looks great! And pretty cheap. For someone who is looking to do a quick start-up and needs a space efficient low cost roaster, it seems like the tits. However I'm worried about the lack of real temperature regulation. With only two heating elements, and only on/off options. Do you think the profiles are going to be limited. Also, have you ever heard of a roaster using this thing? Let me know

Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 11:50am
Subject: Re: Coffee Crafters Artisan V fluid bed Roaster

Nice! At 2KW/pound the heaters at should be enough for 5 pounds. Looks like two cicuits are required:
1x - 50 amp 240V
1x - 20 amp 120V

I would prefer the RC be enclosed at the top and have a glass viewing window...
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 5:07pm

I like more up front information from a company then I get on their site but it does look like a very interesting roaster. A 2kg drum roaster is roughly $8-14k, under $4k for a 5lb machine is on the verge of being to good to be true.

Interesting that the coffee cup logo they use is also the same one that I picked up for my coffee labels, just a free generic google image.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 5:47pm

It is also interesting that the PO Box and street address match a company called "Accrafab" which apparently does metal fabrication, but also prototyping and small manufacturing. Presumably the company is handling the manufacturing of the roaster for (presumably) the designer (whomever that is). The phone number for the roaster and Accrafab are different.

It is alarming that the estimated roast times are 4-8.5 minutes. That would be unacceptable. Hopefully you could slow that down with airflow and heater control, but for $4000 I'd expect a PID controller.

The payoff calculator is a bit of a joke, as it does not (apparently) consider electricity cost, labor cost, etc.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
marksteve
marksteve

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 8:46am

That's nice. I liked the color the most. :)

new jersey house raising
coffeecrafters
coffeecrafters

Roaster: Coffee Crafters Artisan V
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 12:06pm

The roast temperature was interesting to test. We did our thermal testing at Washington State University. The 1 lb. batches roast air goes up to 475 F. with one element running. That's with an ambient temperature of 72 F. (room temperature). We tested 4 different food thermometers against our PID control readout and the university thermal tester. The least accurate was the PID controller. We only had a J type and a K might have been different. It was reading 5 degrees lower. Placement of the thermocouple might have had something to do with it.

www.coffeecrafters.com
coffeecrafters
coffeecrafters

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 12:18pm

We arrived at our price from a different direction. We decided up front how much profit margin we wanted and priced the roaster accordingly. The lead engineer and I spent a lot of time with materials and construction methods. I wanted to make sure anyone could work on it themselves with readily available parts. Using mass produced parts helped us keep our costs down. I've got flac from marketing people for not pricing it in relation with other roasters with the same production. Obviously we want to make money but one of our main goals was to offer a roaster at a very reasonable price for people wanting to move up from home roasting equipment.

I didn't actually design this unit to sell. I just wanted something more efficient for my roasting operation in Thailand. I made it easy to operate because my girls didn't speak english very well and I needed to instruct by pointing. The factory took an interest when I asked them to build me some bodies and it grew from there. I'm still looking forward to getting back home and back to roasting.

www.coffeecrafters.com
coffeecrafters
coffeecrafters

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 12:29pm

We're located in the Accrafab factory. I've been roasting with the prototype for 4 years but the engineers and I have improved the design a lot from the prototype. It's been fun working with the folks here. This is their first product built to completion. They do a lot of high tech manufacturing of components for medical and aerospace. I saw some nascar dashboards on a rack downstairs. I think they've been around since 1975. I've had several models running with a PID controller. They have some photo's of the factory at accrafab.com. It's a beautiful factory. We decided not to put one on this model since the food thermometer was just as accurate and you can't roast unattended anyway. You do have to pay attention though. If you're not watching the machine will make a nice back draft roast.

www.coffeecrafters.com
coffeecrafters
coffeecrafters

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 12:37pm

This is the same element setup as Sivetz had in their 8 lb. roaster. The hopper will actually roast 8 lbs but the cooling pot only holds 5 lbs. 8 lbs. takes about 12 minutes.  It takes a 60 amp designated circuit for the roaster and the chaff system draws 16 amps at 110 volt. It can be switched to 220 volt.

www.coffeecrafters.com
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 6:58am

For me, the PID controller/SSR is very useful in manual mode. I keep an eye on rate-of-rise and adjust as needed.

oldgearhead: DSC_0261-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Coffee Crafters...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28805398941)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+