Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Recommended Behmor settings for Sweet Maria's monkey blend.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Recommended...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 9:16am
Subject: Recommended Behmor settings for Sweet Maria's monkey blend.

Hey folks I've been fooling around with a new Behmor and I'm still scratching my head a bit at the roast profiles. So I decided to stick with one blend and see what happened. Before I ran out I was playing with Sweet Maria's monkey blend to see if I could master that but I was wondering if anyone had found a preferred profile for it already that they'd be willing to share.

Here's what I did:

1/4 batches using 1/4lb P1 A: I did a couple of batches like this but it seemed like the beans barely got to first crack using this setting. The roast was very light and not very tasty. I did try upping the time at the end but ended up butting up against the max time and still not seeming to get close to 2C.

1/4 batch using 1/4 P2 B: I roasted using this setting but again 1C was right up towards the end of the roast. I ended up extending the time up to the max. The roast was darker than the previous, probably almost a FC, but still did not ever seem to reach 2C.

1/4 batch using 1/2 P2 B: This setting seemed to work the best because of the obviously longer time of the roast. I adjusted the time down at 1C as per the "rosetta stone" directions, but noticed as time was running out that I still didn't seem to be hitting 2C. I ended up extending at that point another minute and a half or so for 2C to start. After the first couple cracks of 2C I hit the cooling button to cool it off. This method seemed to give a result much closer to the FC or FC+ that I was looking for.

I'm wondering if I'm completely off in my methods or If it's just a matter of more experimentation. I've noticed that a lot of posters end up shorting the weight in order to progress the roast further (i.e. 10 oz in a 1 lb roast).
 View Profile Link to this post
Woody
Woody
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 4:46pm
Subject: Re: Recommended Behmor settings for Sweet Maria's monkey blend.

I'm no expert on the settings, but I'm pretty sure you want to use either P3 or P4.  The way I understand it for P3 you use C, D for P4.   When roasting 1/4 pound you can choose the 1/2 lb setting and this will allow plenty of time.

Jon
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 6:49pm

I regularly roast Monkey Blend for my son.  Batch size is 10 oz.  Settings are 1 lb, P1, B.

The roast normally reaches 1CR at 12:45 min and I go to cool at 15:30 min and around 1 min of 2CR occurs during cooling.  I could have roasted another 4:30 min if necessary.  In other words, roasting 10 oz ...but setting it at 1 lb ...gives me plenty of roast time to be well into the 2CR.  

I have done this over and over again through about 7 lbs of greens and am about to open another 5 lb bag.

I hope you are using a Kill-A-Watt Meter to monitor your power.  Under no-load conditions I have between 118 and 121V.

I do 10 oz roasts because a) I get 3 roasts out of a 2 lb sample and 8 roasts out of a 5 lb bag and b) because the roast nets out (after water loss) at slightly more than half a lb (say 8.35 oz) which matches my son's usage over 2 weeks.

Jerry
pmaru77

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:54pm

Rule of thumb with this machine is P! with 1/2 lb of beans will start crack at about 12 minutes. Once C! starts, it should only take 2'15'' To get to where c2 will start.  So I usually kill (cool) at 2 2/4 munutes after hearing fisrt cracks going on.  This is from the guru inventor.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Recommended...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284729003906)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+