Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Entry level home roaster suggesions please.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Entry level home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pfieber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Anita
Grinder: Macap 4 Stepless doser
Drip: Bodum
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 3:41pm
Subject: Entry level home roaster suggesions please.

I am looking for a home roaster to do up to lb of beans at a time.   The Roaster is for home use only and mostly for expresso roast, also will roast for chemex.   Budget of up to $300.00
Is it best to start with a air popper and work up or jump in with a better roaster?
 View Profile Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 3:57pm
Subject: Re: Entry level home roaster suggesions please.

The ONLY roaster in your budget that will roast 1lb is a Behmor 1600, and even then, the best roasts tend to be about 12oz. An airpopper is fine, and it'll roast a full pound, just not all at once. You'll have to roast micro batches to equal a full pound.

I am a very happy Behmor owner. I roast for eSpresso and a myriad of pour over methods. If you haven't roasted before, you can always start with an airpopper ($20) to see if it's something you want to stick with.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 9:29pm

+1 on the Behmor. In that price range it will give you the best roast and best batch size. Beyond that thee is the Hottop which costs three times more, and the only other thing is either to build one yourself (see homeroasters.org) or an air popper which is small batch size and marginal results for a beginner.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 11:14am

It's entirely up to you to figure out how you want to start. I started with an air popper because I know myself well enough that if I didn't like roasting, I would stop, regardless of what expense I may have put into it. If I didn't I wouldn't feel bad (nor would my wife harass me) about a $20 expense for the attempt. Fortunately I love roasting coffee. Unfortunately I am stuck with a popper until I have enough money saved up for a proper roaster.

I am also wanting to get a a 1600. Even if it's a mediocre roaster (and from most accounts it isn't), it's a great value for it's cost and the batch sizes are a dream compared to the tiny ones I can do in my popper. Roasting once a week is ideal compared to the 2 batches every 3 days I currently do.

I guess the popper is a good way to get a feel for roasting and to figure out if you like doing it, but you'll probably out grow it very quickly.
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 11:48am

The popper will definitely get you started.  For that budget I strongly recommend upping a bit to the Behmor.  It's makes great coffee.  The 5 profiles will allow you to properly profile each type of coffee.  I would stay away from the FR's they are basically modified poppers.  If you don't mind a bit of a mess and some hand cranking the Whirley pop stovetop popper is a great way to roast.  I have roasted 1 lb with it and gotten amazing results. :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Henrythewound

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 1:50pm

I started a few years back with an old FreshRoast (very low capacity, glorified popcorn popper) and moved up to an iRoast. The iRoast roasted a bit more volume but it was loud and had overheating issues. I managed to get a replacement iRoast2 and it eventually became unusable due to overheating issues also. I recently sprung for a Behmor and I'm pretty happy so far. There's a bit of a learning curve and some lag between when you stop the roast and when the roast chamber actually cools down, so it's easy to roast farther than you intended. I enjoy the ability to roast 3/4 of a pound evenly, something the iRoast was unable to do (even small batches were uneven due to poor circulation early in the roast). I bought my Behmor at roastmasters for $300 with a bunch of included green beans and free shipping, I think that was a good deal for a good setup.
the_chistu

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 11:47am

tglodjo Said:

The ONLY roaster in your budget that will roast 1lb is a Behmor 1600

Posted August 6, 2013 link

If you're a crafty type, you can build a Stir Crazy/Convection Oven roaster for less than $100; supposedly, you can roast up to 1.5lbs at a time.  I just finished mine and I'm really looking forward to retiring my air popper.  I thought about getting a Behmor, but decided against it because I like DIY projects almost as much as I like coffee. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone.

That being said, I started on an air popper (The Presto Poplite) and would recommend it if you're just starting with roasting.  It's a cheap investment, it's hands-on, and if you screw up a batch, you haven't wasted a ton of coffee.  The downside is, you have to roast 2-4 batches in a row to get enough coffee for a few days and the machine gets REALLY hot without modifications.
mrbjvb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita, Rancilio...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Rocky...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Behmor BraZen, Chemex,...
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 1:00pm

Hey Paul, go with the Behmor. Very good home roaster, good customer support. It is everything you are looking for.
    I see you have an Anita - me too -  love mine!
greglepore

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 2:18pm

The stir crazy convection oven will do a lb if you mod the stir rod to protect it from heat-the issue is lack of smoke control. I used mine outside, but in the wintertime it was too easy to walk away from, melted a couple of stir crazies that way.

I don't think you'll learn much starting with an air popper that you can't pick up immediately with a Behmor.

If you have the money, the Behmor is the only real option, but as others said, its optimal around 12oz. If you have great self control, the stir crazy will do a greater weight, but you need an outdoor place to roast.

Oh yeah, Behmor customer service is amazing
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 8:54pm

check homeroasters.org a there are a lot of folks who build their own roasting devices there.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Entry level home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271554946899)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+