Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Is it just me?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is it just me?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
RichardCoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 2:02pm
Subject: Re: Is it just me?

I agree. Green grape? I don't think that's a very distinct taste. I feel the same about fresh apricot. Apricot jam, I can relate to. Lemon, strawberry, blueberry for sure. Likewise chocolate, caramel and nuts. But nut skins? I think that belongs with lemon blossoms. Still, I like the seller of greens to give me as big a description as he can. It helps me decide what to buy, and now, 3 years or so since I got serious about this hobby, I taste a whole lot more than I used to. I used to like the roast flavor. Now, not so much. Increasingly, I stay out of 2nd crack and find much more flavorful coffees.
 View Profile Link to this post
Evazan
Evazan
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Presto Scandinavian
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 5:03pm

While I agree that some of the notes may be over the top (green grape vs red grape) I find a lot of Tom's notes from sweet marias really help me in selecting coffee's to buy.  Maybe I don't taste exactly what he is but after buying from them for 7 years I've gotten an idea of what his tasting notes mean to me.

To me I can really tell the difference between "bright" coffees described as having lemon, apple, or peach notes.  Nutty and creamy are distinctly different as well.  I've tasted earthy and spicy as well.  I'm definitely no expert taster but I think a lot of it may have to do with learning what the various tasting notes mean in the context of coffee.  I'm also into beer and I will say that citrus in beer means something different to me than citrus in coffee.
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:29pm

Really?  I find Tom's descriptions for the most part almost completely useless.  I'm not sure how *he* knows what half the things he uses to describe his coffees taste like, but I'm absolutely certain I've no idea what they mean.  I buy from Sweet Maria's because I know they care about the quality of the beans.  I've managed to learn that there are some things he says that mean I won't care for that particular coffee, but I still have no idea what the taste he's trying to describe actually is.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 2:37am

Shawn12 Said:

(...) "Lemon blossoms" for example ...don't think I have ever eaten an actual lemon blossom before as I doubt most have. (...)

Posted August 16, 2013 link

Neither has the person giving that cupping impression, though she or he might have smelled them. The description just tells you what the aroma of the coffee reminded the supper of. It's more or less subjective. "Flowery" might be another way do describe the same impression. That's why the coffee taster's flavor wheel tries to standardize those descriptions. After all, there are no lemon blossoms in your espresso, nor dark chocolate or fruits.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
DansCoffeePhase

Espresso: Gaggia mod (PID+OPV+3way)
Grinder: Cunill Brasil
Roaster: TC/CO
Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 8:11am

I've learned to translate the over-the-top descriptions to my own personal taste.  For example, an Ethiopian described as black tea with lemon will taste thin, astringent and sour to me and I will avoid it.
Shawn12
Shawn12

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 10:09am

DansCoffeePhase Said:

I've learned to translate the over-the-top descriptions to my own personal taste.  For example, an Ethiopian described as black tea with lemon will taste thin, astringent and sour to me and I will avoid it.

Posted August 17, 2013 link

I guess this is really my point.

IMO The customer shouldn't have to do any "translating" or have years of experience buying from a supplier before the know what they are getting.

More substance and bean quality information less subjective fluff.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 1:42pm

rmongiovi Said:

I'm not sure how *he* knows what half the things he uses to describe his coffees taste like

Posted August 16, 2013 link

Usually the taste is more of an aromatic experience (with the exception of sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami). The aromatic sense can be trained with something like Nez du Café. I have a (used) set on its way to me so that I might be able to pick up on some of the more subtle flavors/aromas. Remember also how much coffee Tom cups - do anything that much and you will get pretty good at it.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rmongiovi

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 1:06am

As I said, I buy from Sweet Maria's because he's good at selecting premium coffee.  But if the purpose of him writing those flowery descriptions is to communicate, then it seems to be that he's more interested in sounding pretentious.  Apparently I'm not the only person in his audience who isn't able to correctly interpret the tastes/smells he's trying to describe.  It just seems to me that when I have to google the things he's using to describe the flavor of a coffee in order to try to guess what he's trying to say then he's missing his target of communicating with his customer.  I suppose he's trying to raise the esthetic appeal of his cupping results to that of a wine tasting, but I would suggest to him that this isn't a goal he should be striving for.
rmongiovi

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 2:28pm

I brought this up some time ago in the Q&A forum.

Here's the link
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 3:02pm

On the occasions when I get in conversations with regular folks that don't roast their own coffee I try to get across how much fun the hobby is and how much better the coffee I roast is compared to what they get at their favorite place [Starbucks usually]. How there are delicious flavors like blueberry and citrus that they will never experience at those big chain coffee places. And then... I will get out my smartphone and bring up one of Tom's cupping notes... and we all have a good laugh because they are so over the top.
That said, I imagine all the time Tom is not doing coffee related work is spent eating at gourmet restaurants and shopping at gourmet markets to improve his already legendary flavor vocabulary. He lives in the right place for it- food in the bay area is just about as good as it gets.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is it just me?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334216117859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+