Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Help with oily beans
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Help with oily...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Plaquemine

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 6:29am
Subject: Help with oily beans

I've been home roasting for about 4 months. I'm using the Nesco Pro. I stop my roast immediately after the 2nd crack which gives me my desired roast. I let the beans set for 72 hours. In this settling period the beans progressively turn from a good roasted dry bean to an oily bean. The beans start getting oily after about 24-36 hours. I store the beans in an air sealed glass container in a dark area. I've tried a stainless steel air sealed container with a clear glass lid, but get the same results. I don't use the Nesco 5 minute cool down. I've tried transferring the beans to a SS colander and putting them in the freezer - same results, oily beans. I've also have transferred the beans to SS colander and cooled down with a fan transferring from colander to colander - same results, oily beans. Thanks for any suggestions
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 6:39am
Subject: Re: Help with oily beans

Mod note, moved to home roasting talk.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
WyoRoaster

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicolla...
Grinder: Macap MC4, Zassenhaus, Solis
Vac Pot: Cona,Yama, Bodum
Drip: Chemex, KMB, Technivorm
Roaster: Hottop B-2K, Behmor 1600,...
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 6:12am

Plaquemine Said:

I've been home roasting for about 4 months. I'm using the Nesco Pro. I stop my roast immediately after the 2nd crack which gives me my desired roast.

Posted August 20, 2013 link

Is that at the beginning or the end of second crack?

Plaquemine Said:

I let the beans set for 72 hours. In this settling period the beans progressively turn from a good roasted dry bean to an oily bean. The beans start getting oily after about 24-36 hours. I store the beans in an air sealed glass container in a dark area. I've tried a stainless steel air sealed container with a clear glass lid, but get the same results. I don't use the Nesco 5 minute cool down. I've tried transferring the beans to a SS colander and putting them in the freezer - same results, oily beans. I've also have transferred the beans to SS colander and cooled down with a fan transferring from colander to colander - same results, oily beans. Thanks for any suggestions

Posted August 20, 2013 link

I think the oiliness is inevitable for the amount of roast that you are giving the beans.  I don't think you can change that by any storage method.  If you don't want oily beans, stop the roast sooner.

Ed
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 6:27am

How long is your roast?  How many minutes between end of 1st crack and beginning of 2nd?
Plaquemine

Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 6:36am

I stop the roast immediately after the 2nd crack. Thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestion
Plaquemine

Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 6:56am

My first roast is 20 minutes. If I have a 2nd or 3rd roast the time is less because the Nesco is hotter and takes less time to reach peak temperature. One of the disadvantages of the Nesco is it does not have a temperature gauge or controller.

First crack is usually around 12 minutes on the first roast. 2nd crack is over 7.5 to 8 minutes later.

Times change dramatically if I have a 2nd or 3rd roast which I often do because of the amount of espresso we drink (guests just happen to pop in since we have been home roasting)

I have been consistent in stopping the roast after the 2nd crack.

When I started roasting I assumed in order to get a good espresso roast I had to achieve a dark roast, but I'm finding out the best tastes have come from the lighter roasts. This is definitely trial and error for me due to my lack of experience so I appreciate any advice I can get.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 11:53am

Do you dump the beans into a 'real' cooler right after you stop the roast?
I never could hear second or even first crack in a Z&D or Nesco.

oldgearhead: Roaster_StationCombo2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Plaquemine

Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 12:04pm

When I first started roasting, I would put them in a SS colander and put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. The beans would come out of the freezer with a little moisture on them. I no longer use that method. I put them in a SS colander and put them in front of a fan to cool rotating them from one colander to another. I feel like the beans are not continuing to roast.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 12:19pm

It's normal for convection roasted coffee beans to leach out the oil after a couple of days. I recall Micheal Sivetz described it as a  'feature' of his fluid-bed roasters.
I would just try 18 minutes and see if you like that better.
1) The Nesco, like all small household appliances, is a slave to your line voltage. Roast when your AC isn't running.
2) The roast can be slowed in two ways; a larger load of beans or a shorter time in the roaster.

More Nesco info here:
Click Here (www.sweetmariascoffee.com)
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 1:01pm

I agree with the 18 minute roast idea. Give it a try. In fact, try 4 minutes post start of 1st crack.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Help with oily...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294490098953)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+