Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Can green coffee be bad?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Can green coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
katit

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 3:17pm
Subject: Can green coffee be bad?

Just got my Behmor 1600 and 8lb samples with it.

Trying different kinds and this one completely puzzled me. Out of the bag it's not green, but more like yellow-ish. Smells sour even green.
When roasted smells OK I guess but coffee undrinkable. I tried light and dark. And also I'm beginner other beans were OK/good. Those are really bad. Very acid/sour tasting.

Is it coffee kind or bad beans?

I'm talking about Sumatra Mandheling-Aceh Triple Pick
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 4:55pm
Subject: Re: Can green coffee be bad?

To answer your question: YES. A resounding YES. But the question of whether or not YOUR coffee is bad is another matter entirely. And for that, you will need a palette you can trust, a sample roast, and some cupping equipment.

But really, it's not all that complicated. You're new to the roasting game, so mess around a little with it. If you can't get anything "drinkable," then they're probably pretty rough greens. Where did you get them from?

-Dave-
katit

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 5:49pm

Probably I wasn't clear. I do get decent results with other coffees. It's only this one that really bad. I just don't know if it's type of coffee or those beans is bad.
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 5:01pm

I'd go back to the supplier.  It's very likely you got a bad bag of greens, probably slightly fermented.  I've roasted a Sumatra Mandheling and it's definitely not sour.  (My supplier may or may not be yours, but I'd not expect *that* great a difference.)

A good supplier will take care of you.
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 5:32pm

I am sort of uncomfortable writing this but I am afraid you may have been sent an iffy or perhaps old "green". I would have expected an Aceh triple pick to be a nice looking coffee and not yellow. A well respected company, which I will not name, is doing a promotion to sell their overstocked coffees. I notice as part of their sale is a Sumatran Aceh triple pick but it is NOT listed in their listing of Sumatran coffees. I kinda suspect they may be getting rid of the bottom of an old bag. Certainly if you paid for the coffee and it was not thrown in as a bonus I would inquire if you could send it back and switch to something you like. If it was thrown in as a bonus and not paid for I might suggest just adding the experience to your coffee learning curve.

Happy roasting, Skylar
katit

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 6:09pm

Skylar Said:

If it was thrown in as a bonus and not paid for I might suggest just adding the experience to your coffee learning curve.

Posted August 28, 2013 link

Yes, this is what it was. Part of a sample from SM when I bought Behmor. I guess it will be part of learning. So, should I "remember" those hints as a bad coffee I guess?
It is definitely not right.
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 11:52am

Any reputable bean supplier is going to want to hear about bad beans going out so that they can do a quality check on what they have left -- even if the bag was part of a "free" sampler.  Suppliers don't get repeat business by sending out sub-par goods.

I'd definitely inform SM (nicely!) so that they can take whatever action they feel is appropriate.  They can't fix what they don't know is broken.
katit

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 12:12pm

kschendel Said:

Any reputable bean supplier is going to want to hear about bad beans going out so that they can do a quality check on what they have left -- even if the bag was part of a "free" sampler.  Suppliers don't get repeat business by sending out sub-par goods.

I'd definitely inform SM (nicely!) so that they can take whatever action they feel is appropriate.  They can't fix what they don't know is broken.

Posted August 29, 2013 link

I will send them letter. I think it is good lesson for ME so I can tell the difference. Today I roasted 2 other samples and they both taste excellent, so it is definitely beans.

I have no hard feelings, I got 8lb of samples with machine, so it's no biggie. But yes, for future customers I will let them know, also this coffe NA on website.
holonalu

Roaster: Alpenroast, (in pieces),...
Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 6:14pm

If lactobacilli gets into the fermentation process, then the beans can definitely go bad. You will probably get a distinct sour taste to the coffee. I had some tanzanian from SM that had the same problem. Nothing to do with the roasting process.

Aloha from Kope aina
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 8:04pm

SM's are way above reputable, so I'd just write them a letter, or even an email will do.
Neither Tom nor Maria pack bags, that's done by workers.

I can assure you, at least from MY experience that this was not deliberate.
You can order from them with confidence.
Same with dozens of other guys we all purchase from.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Can green coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291398048401)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+