Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Separating Bean from Chaff
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Separating Bean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
heatgunroast
heatgunroast
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006, 12:06pm
Subject: Re: Separating Bean from Chaff

gime2much Said:

Disagree..... chaff, any chaff adds an undesireable taste.
Dan

Posted February 24, 2006 link

A mighty unequivocal statement.  Not even an IMO.  Can you feel a single pea under a mattress? :o)
Martin
 View Profile Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2006, 5:17pm

heatgunroast Said:

Can you feel a single pea under a mattress? :o)
Martin

Posted February 25, 2006 link

I dunno about him, but I can.  I've taken apart the bedding to smooth a wrinkle in the bottom sheet many times.  That's neither here nor there, however.  Thanks for all the advice, and to clear a few things up, I got nine and a half pounds of coffee (I've been gifting friends, there's no way I'm consuming nine pounds of coffee before it goes stale) and I became concerned about the chaff whne I noticed a bit of a lemony-stale aftertaste and it went away when I cleaned the chaff out of the beans before I ground them.  It was a painstaking task to clear sixteen grams a bean at a time, therefore, a post!  
The beans were a gift.  I'm presently concentrating on my barista skills and will move on to roasting when I get that to an acceptably routine level.  I.e., able to pull more near-godshots than near-sinkshots.  I also have a bit of a wiring and plumbing project for the new machine, so I have enough balls in the air at the moment.  Oh yeah, and my life.  ; >

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
Pawnbroker1

Expertise: I live coffee

Vac Pot: Cona D
Roaster: Back to Basics  hand cranked
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:21pm

I use a Back to Basics hand cranked popper to roast beans on my back yard barbecuer.  I know, low tech, but I'm cheap and it has worked well for 4 years.  I don't worry about the chaff much, but I am considering using a salad spinner to try to separate the chaff.  Anyone else experiment with that?  Of course I have to wait until I can spot a spinner at a garage sale (again, I am cheap).  I am sure my wife would not be thrilled to see me use hers for making coffee.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:40pm

Pawnbroker1 Said:

I use a Back to Basics hand cranked popper to roast beans on my back yard barbecuer.  I know, low tech, but I'm cheap and it has worked well for 4 years.  I don't worry about the chaff much, but I am considering using a salad spinner to try to separate the chaff.  Anyone else experiment with that?  Of course I have to wait until I can spot a spinner at a garage sale (again, I am cheap).  I am sure my wife would not be thrilled to see me use hers for making coffee.

Posted September 13, 2013 link

If you have a small table fan and a couple stainless bowls just pour the just roasted beans from one bowl to the other bowl with the beans falling in front of the fans air stream.  Will blow off the chaff and cool the beans at the same time.  Best to do this outdoors so you don't get any chaff in the curtains.  Your wife wouldn't be thrilled with that either.  :)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:52pm

google "winnowing"
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 4:05pm

I haven't seen a picture yet, so here's what works:

oldgearhead: CoffeeCooler3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Separating Bean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304859876633)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+