Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Newbie Questions
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Newbie Questions  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JFTaylor
JFTaylor
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: na
Grinder: Encore
Roaster: Outdoor grill & homemade...
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:22am
Subject: Newbie Questions

Been roasting for 2 months using a 4 burner BBQ Grill with a 14" long X 6" diam. homemade drum.  The drum easily handles a pound of beans. I set all up, then fire the grill with all 4 burners on max. When the grill top (oven thermometer) reaches 425-450, I turn down the 2 middle burners to keep the temp below 525. I adjust all burners to maintain grill temp @ 500-525. I like Full City to Vienna - This takes 17 min or so.

Question #1:  Is my temp OK or do you recommend changing up or down?

Off-gassing - I've been observing the 24 hr rule. The latest from my source recommends 48 hrs. 4 some beans

Question #2:  What are the ill effects of brewing B4 the recommended "Off-Gas" period

Question #3:  Do different coffees require roasting modifications?  (e.g. higher temp, less time)

Thanks in advance
John in Virginia Beach
 View Profile Link to this post
Larryh86GT

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: 63RPM 5lb BBQ drum
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 5:33am
Subject: Re: Newbie Questions

Welcome to the forum. I have been roasting with a 5 lb drum on my BBQ for about 4 yrs now (100+ roasts) and will let those more expert than I jump in when they want. I roast 2 lbs lots at a time and usually do 5 to 10 roasts in 1 day when I roast. Different beans do roast at different times but I just pay attention to 1st and 2nd crack. The beans do have to be rested at least 24 hrs but I've found that much longer is better. The only ill effects of brewing B4 is lousy tasting coffee.
Larry
JFTaylor
JFTaylor

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 6:26am

Just what I needed Thanks Man
Larryh86GT

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: 63RPM 5lb BBQ drum
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 2:15pm

Another thing I have learned is to keep a large glass of water near the grill when you are roasting. A bean fire can be pretty spectacular and dumping the water on it will quench the fire before melting your drum. The only fire I have had was my very first roast with only 1/4 lb of beans in the drum and I wasn't ready for it. Thankfully there no videos of it.
:-)
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 4:13pm

Sadly, your temperature measurements aren't going to mean very much to anyone else, and vice versa as a result of the difficulty of obtaining consistent, real-world temperature measurement.  That's true for all sorts of reasons for just about any roaster type -- even same maker / same model roasters with same model thermometers mounted in "identical locations;" but difficulty turns to impossibility with bbq drum type roasters.  Don't hold out hope for specific advice based on your temp numbers -- at least not from someone who understands roasting basics.    

It possible, try to keep track of roast milestones like onset of drying, end of drying, cinnamon, light American, onset of 1st crack, interval between onset of 1st crack and onset of 2d crack, time to desired roast level (e.g., Full City) and so on.  If you can record your temperatures along with your times so much the better, but be aware that the information will mostly be of value to you and that the best you can hope for in terms of recommendations about profiling will be general advice.  

For example:  I'm not a bbq drum guy, but have done a fair bit of other sorts of drum roasting.  As a generic, for a charge greater than 50% of the roaster's nominal capacity I suggest a relaxed drying period, going quickly from EOD to onset of 1st C, and an interval between onset of 1st and onset of 2d of at least 2min, but no more than 4-1/2.  I also suggest keeping your total roast time for shb between 14min and 19min.  But if failure or success takes you outside my (or anyone's) numbers, go with reality.  Every time.

FWIW,
BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JFTaylor
JFTaylor

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 10:33am

Thanks BDL. I shoot for 18min on Roast Time.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Newbie Questions  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235569953918)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+